Nugget Shooter Forums

F/18 fighter jet crashes in san diego

T-Bone

At around noon a marine F/18 fighter crashed into homes two miles short of the runway at MCAS miramar,the pilot ejected safely,no reports of injuries on the ground but a home took a direct hit from the plane,reports at this time has no one home at the time of the crash.

I was a couple miles from this when it happened, lots of emergency vehicles were going to it as I was going away. 3 people dead and 1 missing in the home that burned. One poor jarhead pilot who will probably never forgive himself for not riding that jet into the ground in an attempt to make sure no one on the ground was hurt. God bless them and be with them all.

-Joe

As far as I'm concerned that so called pilot should be charged with murder. He ejected from the aircraft saving his own ass while murdering innocents on the ground. So much for the honor of a Marine Corps officer.

Thats a pretty bold statement Big Jeff!! How do you know the pilot was not almost to hit the ground and airspeed was at a point where he had no control of the aircraft???? Maybe you know something "no one" else knows yet. Care to share your inside info with us????

Hi Gary, Just to clarify I have spent enough time around combat aircraft and naval aviators to know that planes just don't fall out of the sky. Even with severe structural damage and power failures there is still some small degree of control, enough so that any competant pilot might be able hit the street instead of a house (if he stayed with the plane long enough). I have seen planes riddled with bullet holes and even one that took a direct hit from a heat seeking missle, they flew long enough to land back on the carrier deck. I just don't buy the "it just fell out of the sky" excuse. If that pilot would have crashed that bird into the control tower killing a few high ranking officers instead of a family of Korean immigrants he would never see the light of day. Just my 2¢ :outtahere:

Aloha,

It seems that there are a few "experts" on this subject so I will refrain from any comment other than "Do you really think the pilot didn't try everything in his power to get to a safe area?" I just wonder how he feels knowing someone died because he didn't want to ride it into the ground. Gee literally with seconds to make a live and death decision I kind of figure he was just doing his best and that is all one can do at the moment.

Great to see people judge others when they were not in that persons shoes. Shame on you!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I know they said on the news, both engines quit, without engines, no hydralic's, total loss of control. When you live on the end of a runway, its a risk. The pilot in my thinking did all he could, before he got in a save your own ass mode. I have been in two helicopters in nam that were shot down, the pilots went into auto rotate and we hit the ground hard. but we all got out. You really don't have time to think, its all reflex. My opion. Grubstake

• Like 1

I say if anyone is to blame, its the state of Calif. for letting them build house's so close to the runwat, same thing happened in Fresno a few years ago, except the pilot made it down, and skidded on a wet runway, right accross the road from the end of the runway, was a set of apartments, the plane went accross a 4 lane road and hit the apartments. Killed a bunch of people including the pilot. People are supid, there should be a no bill zone within two miles of ever air port and runway. Then lives would be saved. Grubstake In some places, planes are not allowed to use there after burners, because of noise abatement. Thats dumb too.

Thats great Big Jeff. Why was it necessary to say "Korean"?? Was that to hint he headed for the Korean home?? Would it been better to hit a white persons home. I know you think no foul in your statements, but many others will disagree. You should stop with your "professional ideas" while your ahead.

Also the f 18 should fly with one engine. I would say he had a massive failure for the crash. What, since your a pro was the cause ?? :coffeetime: :coffeetime:

As far as I'm concerned that so called pilot should be charged with murder. He ejected from the aircraft saving his own ass while murdering innocents on the ground. So much for the honor of a Marine Corps officer.

I wasn't in the cockpit so I won't pass judgement on when exactly is the right time to give a broken airplane back to the tax payers.

I am however offended by this on so many levels I don't know where to begin, so I will leave it at that.

Jezisek, J. V. Sgt USMC 85-92

"Once a Marine always a Marine"

Semper Fi

-Joe

• Like 1