Nugget Shooter Forums

Schist nugget & equpment upgrad

Uncle Ron

Yo All...Today was a great day for hunting gold nuggets in the big AZ...First of all, I finally realized that the falsing I've been experiencing n my rig was not my coils but my connections between my PocketRocket and my Doc's Goldscreamer Signal Enhancer...So I built myself a new five pin connector about 5" long ... What a difference that made...Second, I did an attitude shift...Montana Bob Dansie and I hunted together a few days ago and he pointed out an area that I'd always decided simply didn't have nuggets...But he found three nuggets there totaling shy of a quarter ounce...

So, today, I started thinking about areas that I had decided "didn't have nuggets" for whatever reason...I started at the midpoint of a wash that I'd found nice gold at the top of...I beeped about ten feet and got a beer can sound... I almost didn't dig it, but then launched myself into a 20 minute bout of cursing and calling the noisey target everything but a nugget :grrr01: :grrr01: :grrr01: Finally, it dawned on me that the target was down in the green schisty bedrock...Guess what!!!! This beautiful and somewhat strange nugget, just shy of 1/4 ozt...Here, as usual, a bunch of pix...Your Unc in the Dubyah is a happy guy....Cheers

post-9-1228618580_thumb.jpg

post-9-1228618615_thumb.jpg

post-9-1228618642_thumb.jpg

post-9-1228618674_thumb.jpg

post-9-1228618703_thumb.jpg

Good on you RON. your an oldtimer, and know better, you should dig it all. It does pay off. Some times we all get a little too passive in our detecting. Instead of more agressive, like we should be. Thats a good lesson for the newbies. You never know for sure what the target is, until its dug up. Grubstake

That's a dandy Ron. There are a million reasons that you can think of as to why a certain area doesn't have any gold but in your neck of the woods the only reason that makes any sense at all is you've beeped it thoroughly. That chunky nugget may have been created a mile or more from where you found it but it can't be the only one. Go out and find the rest before they get broken up into dinks.

As for the falsing, I broke down and bought one of the new beefed up Minelab power cords and it made my GP Extreme much quieter.

Yo Gary, Chris & John...This was indeed an odd target...The green shist was all closed up over it, just like the old placer text books say...Sometime a bunch o' years ago, the bedrock opened up, the nugget broke off a nearby vein, then the schisty bedrock closed up over the nugget again...The bedrock was sorta soft, but the nugget itself has hard quartz, ironstone and the greenstone all embedded on one side...Kind of cool for such an ugly nugget...Check this photo of the poopoo side of the nugget...Cheers, Unc

post-9-1228886556_thumb.jpg

I personally think it's pretty... but then I'm ugly. An additional note on how you said it was "closed up over it". That statement made me recall some info from Arizona Gold Placers and Placering. It mentioned that in one area nuggets were found up to 1.5 meters deep in the bedrock! As you mentioned, not only can that gold work down deep into any cracks and crevices but also the bedrock surface can change.

The possible mechanics of explaining how such a pretty golden pearl could have wound up deeply entrapped in green schist are intriguing to consider. How about this? Sometimes schist is laced with quartz veins and veinlets. Sometimes the quartz carries gold within it. Could well be that Ron's little beauty, rather than somehow "falling into" a crack in the schist, was born there a long, long time ago and simply got carried along toward its ultimate date with Ron's search coil. Consider what can happen to a brittle quartz vein if suddenly compressed (from end to end) by tectonic forces. I suspect some of the linear float we regularly see littering schist or other bedrock surfaces got fractured out of the feeder vein in this manner. Just a thought.