Nugget Shooter Forums

Grinding meteorites

I am assuming, and correct me if I am wrong here; When you use a bench grinder, with a "metal" type grinding wheel, as apposed to a "masonry" grinding wheel, silver metal forms on the grinded part of the rock :confused0013: . Is that true?? Or is every rock on the planet a genuine meteorite?? :laught16:

I ground some meteorite maybes today, and most, when done, appeared to have metal inside. If I sand them with a 220 grit sand paper they mostly turn back to a rock color and the silver metal color disappears.

Again, I am assuming that should not happen if they are meteorites. :confused0013:

So basically grinding them with anything less than a diamond grinding wheel is a waste of time, no?

And I probably would get much better results if I cut them with a wet saw??? Or am I doing something wrong??

Help please.....I really want to see if they are, it's killing me. :hmmmmmm:

Aloha,

Why waste your time with a grinder when you can use a plain old diamond file from harbor freight. It is cheaper and you can carry them out in the field for a quick check. You just need to make a small window in the corner of your rock to see if it is a keeper or a meteorwrong. Just my :twocents: .

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

I just found diamond sharpening stones that can be carried in a pocket in the field. Some are two sided, 400 grit and 1000 grit. Others are pocket size for 15 bucks. I am also ordering a combination lapidary machine that has a 6 inch wet trim saw, which I am getting a meteorite blade for, and a flat top conversion, and edger conversion; 3 in 1 tool for $399. http://www.inlandlapidary.com/singleproduc...artnum=10690399. Check it out and let me know if you guys think it would work, looks to be a meteorite preparers dream.

Appreciate the advice. Buy cheap, buy twice. Problem is, it's what I can put into it right now...399. I think as long as I use good blades, the saw part should be OK, and I can always use the machine for cutting and shaping tile. My 7 year old son and I went to a pay to dig mineral site in NC last winter and he has a 1 gallon can of adventurine, rubies and such, so I thought it might be fun to try and turn them into faceted stones (oblong marbles most likely :laught16:) If some of these rocks end up being rarer meteorites, maybe I'll spring for a better set up to properly prepare them.

For Stan................PS: Thanks for turning me on to that Harbor Freight Company. Cool site, I have been looking for an inexpensive abrasive cabinet for cleaning relics and they had one for 149 bucks. Cheapest I found yet was a grand. I couldn't stop buying tools though :laught16: Web shopping is too easy, that's for sure....now if someone knows a link to garages or pole barns, I'll be all set. :hmmmmmm:

Aloha to you

digitrich,

A plain ole fingernail file will do the field work that you need..... That is all that I carry in my pack for putting a window on a suspect stone.

Jim

Hi Digitrich,

I have been using a bench grinder to cut a quick window into rocks for some time now and do not have the problem that you spoke of. I suggest you get a different wheel or dress the wheel you have to remove metal that may have accumulated from a metal grinding job.

Jim