Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone know where to get etching solution?

G'Day Digi

You got some great advice from Steve and Jim. Another source for etchant is Fry's Electronics. I don't know if you have one in your area, but a couple of days ago when I was there, they had it. As for nitric acid and you just learning, there's a big warning... it is a very nasty animal! It takes no prisoners, it has big teeth and it will bite, if you don't handle it right. If you decide to take the nitric acid road, treat it with respect.

Cheers

Johnno

I also found this site for etching copper with (Copper Chloride in Aqueous Hydrochloric Acid Solution) called: "instructables". I doubt it would work for meteorites though. I was thinking of using it in a weak form to clean my metal detected cruddy copper pennies, not the valuable ones but the ones you couldn't even recognize otherwise.

I found a couple of ferric chloride suppliers on the web last night at: http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.asp...;catref=34-0758 sells for $3 / a liter...45 baume strength

Seems Radio Shack has gone out of the etchant supply biz

I also found this site for etching copper with (Copper Chloride in Aqueous Hydrochloric Acid Solution) called: "instructables". I doubt it would work for meteorites though. I was thinking of using it in a weak form to clean my metal detected cruddy copper pennies, not the valuable ones but the ones you couldn't even recognize otherwise.

I found a couple of ferric chloride suppliers on the web last night at: http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.asp...;catref=34-0758 sells for $3 / a liter...45 baume strength

Seems Radio Shack has gone out of the etchant supply biz

Correction..... Sorry. That was 3 lire / liter and only in Great Britain. Just tried to order it. :Huh_anim]:

G'Day Digit

Cheap and good PCB etching solution.....

The etching solution is made by adding 1 part Muriatic Acid (the common kind that's sold in hardware stores, about $5.00 gal.) to 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide (the common 3% kind that's sold in dollar stores & drugstores for $0.50 a pint)

Warning!!!!!!!!

Mixing is a hazardous process (add acid to the peroxide, not the other way around!)

Cheers Johnno

Yeah Johnno,

I am beginning to realize you meteorite guys and gals have a heck of a time getting your chemicals. With all the chemical googling I have done lately, I wonder if the FBI has me on a bomb builder list :laught16: Ordered Dimethylglyoxime for the nickel test, was told "had to be a teaching institution or a researcher", so now I am a researcher. Hope that flys. I really like the idea of a definitive nickel test, that's the one I need to accomplish first.

Went to Radio Shack and found they stopped carrying etchant:FC3. Found a place on-line for it and I am going to order it tomorrow over the phone from Paleobond...Thanks Jim. I want to try and use the FC3 because some say it gives a faster, more contrasting etch, with a little less hazardous of a chemical (nitric acid).

I have used muriatic acid to etch foundation walls before, that's some fun stuff, in a non ventilated basement, especially in large quantities, (I am a waterproofing contractor). Might try that if I can't get the FC3.

Norton's new book is awesome, just got it today!!!!!! The bulk density test is way simpler than the density testing I was doing. Lot's of colored photos and he breaks down etching, nickel testing, bulk density, even tells you how to make your own petrographic microscope and how to classify your meteorites. Very simple, very straight forward easy to follow for newbies (LIKE ME) format. Bravo Bravo Bravo :whoopie: I honestly think I learned more about meteorites in this last week and a half then in the last 2 years combined. Thanks again.

Hi Digitrich,

I probably got the last bottle of Radio Shack etchant on the planet. Let me know how the Paleo Bond stuff works out. I was thinking of trying other etching chemicals to see if they give a better, deeper etch.

Jim

Hi Digitrich,

I probably got the last bottle of Radio Shack etchant on the planet. Let me know how the Paleo Bond stuff works out. I was thinking of trying other etching chemicals to see if they give a better, deeper etch.

Jim

Just ordered Ferric chloride from Paleo Bond...spoke to Bill Mason, really nice guy. I also ordered his meteorite kit; comes with stuff to preserve the irons after they are etched, I'll let you know how it works.

Joe

As for the Dimethylglyoxime (for nickel testing): the two companies I tried to order it from in the back of Norton's "Field Guide to Meteorites" outright stonewalled me.

If you are not an educational institution; they will not sell it to you for insurance reasons.

I got lucky and ran into a guy who offered to send me some from his own private stock, which was a Godsend. If any of you have a line on someone who will sell and ship Dimethylglyoxime , let me know. I don't know how much is being sent to me, or in what form, but he said I probably wouldn't need much and I think it only has a shelf life of 36 months.

Joe