Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
phil J

Question about arrastra processing

I recently posted some pics of a couple different Arrastras and have a couple questions if someone could answer. I have read the links that were posted and they were very helpfull but did not address a couple items.

Was this setup used for processing any other type of mining? I was unable to find any gold in the left over material in the cracks. I did not do the entire Arrastra but thought there should be a little gold showing up. I also am not sure if I would be able to tell if there was any fine silver in the material. From what I have read the Arrastras were used for gold and silver mining.

Thanks Phil

Gold, native Silver and grains is all I have ever heard of one being used for and rarely it seems was it for Silver. I found one once that we scrubbed and found mercury with very fine gold in it so I know they did use mercury in them to help recover the fine gold.

I recently posted some pics of a couple different Arrastras and have a couple questions if someone could answer. I have read the links that were posted and they were very helpfull but did not address a couple items.

Was this setup used for processing any other type of mining? I was unable to find any gold in the left over material in the cracks. I did not do the entire Arrastra but thought there should be a little gold showing up. I also am not sure if I would be able to tell if there was any fine silver in the material. From what I have read the Arrastras were used for gold and silver mining.

Thanks Phil

Phil,

I am not aware of any other ore being processed in an arrastra, other than precious metal ores and copper. I am sure that an arrastra could have been used to grind up just about any type of ore, I just have not read anything about it.

The pictures that you posted, showed arrastra's with cemented cracks in the bottom, unless the cement was eroded or came out of the cracks, it is unlikely that you would find any gold or silver residue. The real old ones with just pavers and clay fillers, will usually always yield some good results from the cracks or by removing the pavers and cleaning out the bottom. Any silver left in an old arrastra would not amount to much in dollar value.

Jim