Nugget Shooter Forums

Silent Threshold and Ground Balancing

tony Teixeira

Guess one would be best served running in tracking mode... I can't imagine running without a threshold though since we are listening for variations of that threshold (targets) to tell us when to dig. Some vary faint "warbles" I think would not be hearable with a silent machine have been the most rewarding.

Good question :hmmmmmm: I've wondered about that myself :tisc-tisc: as I run mine high :headphones: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

OK Mike,

I am going to take the bait and bite on this.

When you run it high, are you not concerned you may be masking some good signals that can't cross the threshold?

Thanks

Tony Teixeira

I think he's thinking quite the opposite... see bill southern's post.

Hi Tony when I say I run it high I don't mean full blast as this will cause loss of the faint targets--but I do run higher than the text book threshold level-you know the crackling just above silent sound--on the PI's I usually run in the 1ish position-maybe a little more maybe a little less it all depends on the ground and noise in the area I'm beepin at the time--everybodies hearing is different and what works for one person might not work for another--same with settings--I suggest you just go out and test and find your own sweet spot as far as threshold level goes---Hint--IMO threshold and tone are the most over looked of adjustments but they are 2 of the biggest in my book :innocent0009: Hope this helps :headphones: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

When running a silent threshold the best bet is to do as Bill suggested and use Tracking mode (Medium GB speed preferred) and then hit the Quick Trak button on a regular basis on the fly as you move along. I have found gold using this method but still prefer running a threshold. As a suggestion to those who want to give silent a go in quiet ground with a GPX4500 try this, Tracking mode, Gain 15, Motion Slow, Stabilizer 8 or 10, Special timings use Sharp (20% greater battery use for a more powerful field from the coil). Everything else as per normal detecting. If interference spikes are a problem try using Quiet mode in the audio menu or backing off the Gain, and Motion settings till things run smooth.

JP

Hey MikeC:

Thanks for clarifying, the reason I asked is because I heard about some people running silent and others on the other end of the spectrum and could not comprehend how they do this, especially silent mode.

Bill and Jonathan,

Thanks, Yea, I guess auto tracking would be about the only way to run silent but I have no desire at this time to try, after writing a thread last week I recieved great feedback on the benefits of running a threshold from Montana and Flak.

Thank you all and have a great week!

Tony Teixeira