Nugget Shooter Forums
Jayray

Ultimate Meteorite Cane...

Hi gang, what do you get when you have one metal detector handle and a whole lot of urge to build something? A cool looking meteorite cane, that's what.

I decided to build an improved model, since I figured the more magnets the better.

The process was pretty simple and straight forward, but I had to build the forearm handle. I used a piece of scrap metal from a cabinet I had and configured it to fit my arm. A big vise helps in this matter. Next, I took a piece of wood (1/2" or so pine) and shaped it like a detector coil, and measured the angle that would fit my swing (this worked out to be about 26 degree angle or just about).

Then, I proceeded to carve out the bottom of the "coil" for a place for the magnets to fit into. I used a total of seven (7) magnets, neo-type and it works very well. I plan on using it this weekend, pending weather, for the dry lake beds to cover more ground and rocks. Call me crazy, but I like the idea of covering more rocks when hunting. I know it is about skill and being able to ID meteorites in the field, but every little advantage helps. This might do pretty well at Holbrook too. I'll have to try it one day. Enjoy, Jason. :;):

DSC05636.jpg

DSC05638.jpg

DSC05640.jpg

JAYRAY, Have you considered that when you swing it over the ground you'll be buildind up tons of black sand very quickly???

An idea that may help would be to get a 1/16" thick tire tube or some type of flexible material , an cut it to shape oversize going up the sides "edges" of the "coil". Attach some velcro in one or two spots and at the opposite side of the velcro permanately attach it (screw, tack, glue, staple ) Allowing you to quickly pull at the velcro and swing the rubber "coil cover" away from the magnets to clear it of the tiny debris and black sand accumulations.

Thats just a quick idea I had when I looked at your post, it could save you alot of time. ???

And give you an idea of some type of option to clean off for the next go round.

Have fun an Hapy Huntn

Jay; that is very similar to one I have in mind...I intend to use a coil cover and put the magnets on the inside so I can clean the black sand, etc off...let us know how it works out for you...

Fred

Aloha Jason,

As I was reading your post I wondered why you didnt use a coil cover as a template. Freds idea is one that I have been working on for a month since I found a coil cover for sale cheap at a sale. The guy didnt even know what it was used for until I told him. Wow, $1 for a coil cover.

I am just waiting for my neo magnets to get here so I can finish it off.

Nice job, Looks like you have some spare time on your hands and it is making you have "rock fever".

See you soon out in the field hopefully.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hmmmm, that actually is a pretty good idea and may have to do that. I was planning to do some hunting this weekend, but the rains make traveling in the mud a bit uneasy (don't want to get stuck you know). At first I did consider the coil cover idea, but didn't think about it after that because I was on the road to building. The magnet coil is a bit oversized, but I can sand it down to probably fit one. Thanks for the tips!!! Jason :;):

Hi All

I just don't get it ?? Your building something heaveir than a beeper that won't find whats subsurface buried space rocks !! Don't get me wrong I know the value of a magnet cane and a beeper !! Soo if your swinging your new gizmo why not just swing a lightweight VLF ?? Happy Huntin John B.

John, I have one of those too (newly purchased GMII w/VSAT), but I figured it was only going to be used for the dry lake hunting. If I'm going to be in the desert then I figured I would use the detector. Granted, I'll probably take the detector too to the dry lake, but plan on using the cane for the most part. As for weight, it's lighter than any detector that I have handled thus far, even any of the White's. Plus, it will give the boy something to swing while I'm swinging the detector or vise versa. Jason :;):

Well, I went to desert outfitters and bought a coil cover, which made the difference from a cool project, to one that works quite well. Thanks for the tip. I'm planning a trip tomorrow and will let everyone know how it goes. Jason :;):

Hi all! Well the trip went well, but the skunk stench was all over me. I didn't find anything on the two dry lakes I went to, but I did swing the meteorite cane and covered a lot of ground in the process. It did work well. Now to swing it over a meteorite...Jason :;):

Jayray thats a pretty brilliant idea you have there!

Trish, thanks for the reply. Let's hope for good returns this weekend at Holbrook. That should be a good test...Jason :;):

Cool little gizmo there Jason...

Had a similar idea a while back but never got around to making it. How heavy is it?

I know those "neos" have super magnetic power and can make a chondrite jump as much as 3-4 inches if it's an H. I have loads of NWAs, and a few Franconias and GBs. Even the GBs give a good pull on a large neo mag. It will work... No doubt.

The only issue I see is documenting the actual insitu GPS position of the meteorite when found because unless you are checking it every 2 or three swings you may not know when a small meteorite jumps up on the mag and could walk some distance before realizing it. Imagine trying to retrace your steps if there's 3 or 4 meteorites on your mags. Especially if it's covered in magnetic black sand, there won't be that tell-tale "click" when the meteorite hits the mag.

All in all it's a cool little tool. Nininger used a large magnetic rake to find thousands of iron meteorites at the Odessa and Meteor Craters, I don't see why a modified version in the shape of a detector wouldn't work on chondrites. In fact I'll probably make one and play with it a bit just to see what it can do.

Now if we can just make something to find those elusive lunars and martians...

Great job Jay!

Eric

Eric, thanks for the comments. It worked this past week for my wife's find on the dry lake. But will agree with you on hearing the famous "Click" on the cane. I never did make it to Holbrook, but will eventually make it down there. Jason :;):

CT, the idea was based around that using a MD on the dry lake usually doesn't work due to the mineralization and high contents of salt, not to mention other minerals that affect the detector's capability. Usually, using a cane works the best because you can walk faster, cover more ground, and swing a lighter probe than a MD. I have used it and it worked as planned, but prefer a cane with a lonely magnet on it. Now my kids use it, if and when they go with me. Jason :;):

So Jason, did you ever try it out at Holbrook? I went out about a month ago, and found some pieces. I hadn't hunted all year because I was working in a camp, and then I was tied up a lot. I was worried I'd get skunked for the year.

I bought some magnets a few years ago to do a similar array, but never got around to it. Dad and I did use most of the magnets for other projects. In fact I picked one of the last ones to use with my digger this past weekend... You have a great idea, especially if you're in a non-detectable area with a lot of stones which make sight hunting difficult...

Good luck and happy hunting,

Mark

Oh and regarding the click, I get tired of my magnets getting covered by black sand and getting rusted up. The coatings on my magnets tend to flake off, and when I clean off the trash, I often get cuts. So I thought I'd build an enclosure (so far I've only used plastic). You could take some tin cans and cut them down so that they're about 1mm away from the magnets, so when something connects you get a nice "snap" sound. Not quite the same click maybe, but at least a distinct indication.

If you use one big sheet of metal for the entire thing, you could clean off the black sand fairly quickly. Plus you have a wear plate to protect the magnets...

Hi Jayray,

I am not sure of how you planned on using the coil cover, but if you made your wooden coil/magnet design to fit a coil cover, then you could slip to coil cover off and on to remove the buildup that will occur on the bottom, rather than use the coil cover itself as the bottom.

Actually, you could use an oversize coil cover also and attach the coil cover using other means. If you decide to use this concept, you could get fancy and add a hinge on one end and an extension handle to the other end of coil cover to easily swing it off and on to dump any buildup. Attaching plastic parts to a coil cover is easy if you have a little extra ABS plastic and some MEC or acetone. Dissolve a little ABS plastic in MEC and it makes a super glue for ABS parts. Actually, that is what is commonly done to build the glue used to bond two halves of a coil housing together.

So, there are a whole lot of things you can do to your fundamental design or you can simply leave it basic and use it that way.

Thinking outside the box is how many new things come about. Some of the other new ideas are the result of accidents.

Reg

Reg, thanks for that. I actually used a coil cover and attached it with velcro. It fit pretty snug, so it stays on pretty good. I have used it on the dry lakes and it fits the bill. I have since moved to a 5 and 7 iron with a Neo-magnet attached to it. My son and I use them while hunting. I give the "detector" cane to my wife, when she participates, which is far and few between. :yuk-yuk: It was a neat little project and kept me busy for a few days. Now I just need to find a way to stop time and actually enjoy it..... :hahaha:

Jason ;)