Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia IED hunt

Hey guys, I may come out there again and do some hunting. I want to look for more unexploded artillery. I have only been out there once, with no experience using a kids cheapo metal detector and the first thing I find is highly explosive. So either, I hit the lottery or others are finding them and not saying anything/keeping them? Anybody interested in checking the wash I found it in? Do so at your own risk!

Are you talking about misfire/ejected .50 cal. aircraft rounds or actual 105mm howitzer rounds? Ben

Hey guys, I may come out there again and do some hunting. I want to look for more unexploded artillery. I have only been out there once, with no experience using a kids cheapo metal detector and the first thing I find is highly explosive. So either, I hit the lottery or others are finding them and not saying anything/keeping them? Anybody interested in checking the wash I found it in? Do so at your own risk!

Aloha Funz,

We usually find .50 cal rounds all the time. I usually put them in the open clearly marked with yellow surveyors tape to warn others. Carrying them around is like playing with a green mohave snake. Not smart!! Unless you are trained in clearing any IED's I would suggest you try to avoid them. Just my :twocents: .

If you are intent on doing so, please be careful out there.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Aloha Funz,

Gosh, now I remember who you are from the previous post. Hot darn!!

Next time you make a trip out to Franconia give us some notice so we can hook up with you and maybe point you in the right direction for a "real Franconian find" ie. a meteorite!!

I would hate to run into one of those "irons" out in the field especially a live one. Great job in making sure it was disposed of.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

BTW, where do you live and when do you intend to go out there again?

I am from Kingman so I can get out there anytime. Would love to find something from outerspace! Its been in the back of my mind for awhile now, there might be more of what I found out there. I see some people are planning trips soon, I can meet you guys out there. Also could show you guys where I found it. Btw, KPD was very professional and gave a darn. Cant say the same for Sheehans posse. :Huh_anim]:

You are more then welcome to attend the OUTING, it is not a private thing.

We will camp on the south side just off of OLD TRAILS RD, I will be in a white ITASCA motorhome and will have a red polaris atv. Stop by, camp and have fun.

Oh I am from Kingman too.