Nugget Shooter Forums

Can't find gold, only garbage. What I'm I doing wrong.

cmf21

Purchased a Eureka Gold Detector a few weeks ago and have been out almost every day but can't find any gold. The only thing I find is bullets, tin can's, and other garbage. What I'm I doing wrong. Everyone else is finding gold but me. I'm pretty sure I have the setting correct but any help would be appreciated.

cmf21; I don't much about the Eureka, but your probably not doing any thing wrong just haven't gotten over any gold yet. I went over a year before getting over my first nugget, takes a lot of patients, hang in there and enjoy the scenery and I hope you find gold soon. John

Yep that sounds about right, we've all been there and done that! The upside to it is there's no better way to learn how to effectively use your detector than digging up tons of trash. Just keep at it and learn as much as you can about using your detector. The idea is to learn how to "effectively" use your detector and be confident with it. After learning how to effectively use your detector the next thing that you have to learn is how to place yourself in the right ground and that will come in time the more you do it.

Keep in mind "everyone else" has probably been doing this a lot longer than you and have put their time in the field exactly like you are right now. The guys that consistently find gold have been doing this for many years and make it look easy.

This certainly isn't an easy hobby to do because if it was everybody and their grandma would be doing it. You'll get a piece of gold eventually just be patient and keep at it.

Del

Guest bedrock bob

You are either in the wrong spot, or you are going too fast. It took me 40 solid hours of detecting to find my first one, and that was after 20 years of prospecting. I could run my detector and find nothing, and then drywash 2" and find pickers galore. I was just swinging too darn fast and expecting for it to be easy. I dug a full 5 gallon bucket of junk before that first one. It took five years for me to finally slow down, use the rake, pick my spot, and make the detector work for me. You can find gold almost anyhwere in a good placer. Only a few acres will be good detecting. the gold has to be large anough and shallow enough to detect. This is a tall order. Most spots will not fit this criteria.

Now with 15 years under my belt I can find gold targets about 10/1 with trash targets, if I hunt clean areas. Still I come home with my pockets full of rust. I rarely hunt gulches though, and tend to stick to deflation areas on the slopes and hilltops. The gold is shallower, larger, and better detecting up there. Most garbage is washed into the gulches and they can be a trashy prospect.

SLOW DOWN, RESEARCH, USE YOUR EYES MORE THAN THE MACHINE, HUNT AREAS YOU KNOW HAVE GOLD, USE A RAKE TO ELIMINATE COBBLES AND HOT ROCKS, AND KEEP HUNTING!!!

Ge the book "Folow the Drywashers" by Jim Straight. It is the best resource. It will take a little experience to absorb it. Once you get the hang of it the words will make a lot more sense. Take it with you and read it a dozen times.

Read these posts. There is a lot of good info on this forum. Many times folks will be saying the same thing only in different ways. To learn a tidbit or two from a seasoned prospector will be your most valuable find.

Bedrock Bob

IF, IF, IF...

If amonst the trash you are finding tiny bits of lead, cigarette paper foil...tinsy-tiny bits of wire fine as frogs hair....if you are moving your coil just above the ground at a slow snails pace, if you are lapping your coil swing by half and if you are digging every faint bump in your threshold then you are just not over the gold yet...keep trying!

Fred

Remember, that a lot of the guys who are finding gold in AZ these days are not using VLF's and are finding nuggets deep. However, from what I have heard the Eureka is a good detector and you can adjust the KHZ. The higher the khz the smaller gold you should be able to detect. However, you will also pick up everything else. If you are in a spot known to have gold, study the terrain and perhaps dig down a little where gold would most likely be and detect near bedrock. Be sure to use head phones. Read the manual again, do some bench testing. Hope it works out for you. Best of luck.

cmf21, the Eureka Gold is a very stable VLF detector; you made a good choice for your first one.....please let me play master of the obvious for a moment......work areas with exposed bedrock if possible, and by all means pull off a bit of overburden in likely areas where gold might stop......you are listening for small changes in your threshold for the smaller pieces you will find with your detector-do you have a good pair of headphones to hear them?........for now, run @ 20k.....you will hear small gold at this frequency.......even though a VLF can be swung faster than a PI, be slow and deliberate with your swing......pick a small area and cover all the ground in that area-it will force you to relax and take your time...like all have said, it takes years to become good at this racket, so take the long term view of things when you go out......if you stay with it, the gold will come....Jerry

Hey ... Mention your area... I probably don't know it. Someone on here probably does!

Hi CMF21

In all honesty

the very best prospectors, going over the very best ground

can wind up being skunked. It happens all the time.

The newest, most inexperienced prospectors

have sometimes found gold with little hunting time under their belts

and even sometimes in ground that many with experience would pass bye.

It happens quite alot.

There is an element of luck involved.

Some people have it more in evidence than others

but it's not a reason to stop if you feel you don't have it.

It takes huge patience, especially until you find that first one.

It is almost an act of faith.

The ones who get easily discouraged are ex-prospectors, that's just the way it is.

The ones who hang in there and do not worry

or get put-out about the huge outlay in time, energy and research

will find gold.

That's just the way it is too.

I think someone in a post above said to remember to look around you when you hunt.

You are usually walking through an unmarked but very real section of paradise

that will more than compensate

for the trip if you can see it.

Hang in there

it's worth it.

Flak

HEY BUDDY. 2 things that will make a WORLD of DIFFERENCE for you.

# 1 Use a tiny test nugget every time you go out, tune over it till you get the most DISTINCT sound/signal.

#2 This tip is not for everyone, BUT if you happen to be ANCIENT, JIVE, AN DECREPID like me and don't have EXCELLENT HEARING, a top quality set of earphones like BLACK WIDOWS will make you SAVVY in a hurry.

Have fun

I have to agree with what everyone here has said.

My only addition is to say that if you are a coin shooter or treasurer hunter you probably swing fast. You have been told to swing slow and slower. I am going to say from experience that what you thing is painfully slow as a coin shooter is not even slow enough. Ssssllllloooowwwwwwwwwww way down. Keep the coil on the ground or just barely off of it. Remember coil covers are replacable! Wear one out from scrubbing the ground! and last but not least keep the coil LEVEL to the ground throughout the swing!

Perseverance is key here. You will find gold and then it will become easier.

Best of Luck,

Mike F.

First thing to do is remember the advice: "If there is no gold there, you won't find any." The electronic prospector absolutely MUST be hunting in a locale which produces detectable-sized bits of gold. If the area you are in DOES NOT have a record of producing nuggets, then go to one which does. Next, make sure that you have mastered the tuning and operation of your machine, and be sure that it is ALWAYS properly tuned when hunting. Now, go slow, swing low, and concentrate on listening for those FAINT signals, which indicate small, or deep nuggets. Certainly, big nuggets are more desirable, but personally, I find about 1000 nuggets the size of rice grains, and smaller, for every nugget weighing a half ounce, or larger. Then add to this mix patience, and optimism. In time, you'll score. Hope this helps; HH jim

I'm the last person who should be giving advice but I read a wonderful tip about glueing different size pickers or nuggets to plastic poker chips and burying them at different depths in the soil you're likely to encounter. Then practice your swing and settings over them.

Guest bedrock bob
I'm the last person who should be giving advice but I read a wonderful tip about glueing different size pickers or nuggets to plastic poker chips and burying them at different depths in the soil you're likely to encounter. Then practice your swing and settings over them.

This is a great idea!

I did this when I first started out and lost 'em all within a few weeks. I had them laminated like a social security card so I would be able to carry them in my pocket and not loose them. I thought it was an excellent idea, as it kept the gold close to the ground. I lost them.

I have found five wooden blocks/poker chips with nice little nuggets on them so far. A few weeks ago I spoke to an old miner friend of mine and he found a film canister with three nuggets glued to poker chips in the street in front of his house in Hillsboro.

I belive this is a great idea! Keep 'em coming guys! Please do not use epoxy as it is tough to get all the glue off the gold. Use a water based glue so I can soak them clean in water.

Bedrock Bob

You have gotten some good advice if you check each of the posts there is at least one little item in there that you should take note of and remember

1 Go slow, go slow

2 with a vlf hunt the bedrock.

3 hunt those old tailings piles rake em down.

4 Practice with a small nugget of about a grain glued to something plastic

5 put that target on the ground and just stand there and swing the coil over it, start out higher than you can hear it then

lower and lower until you start hearing it. Keep doing that until you know what it sounds like. What you want to do is imprint that sound of gold in your mind so that it is second nature to you.

Good luck!

Raynm

I'm pretty new to metal detecting too and it took me a while to find my first... My best suggestion to you would be, to stop concentrating on those booming signals. Unless you are hunting new grounds or just plain lucky, you will not be hearing signals from big nuggets that are laying on the ground. The good targets are few and probably deep so the signals will be subtle so concentrate on finding those subltle and soft/quiet signals. Frank's suggestion about carrying around a small nugget is very useful and I listen to the sound of that small nugget before I start and again several times while hunting. Other than that, keep swinging, as other have said, slow and low and you will eventually find a good target. Good luck!

As you can tell by the previous posts, digging trash comes with the job but there are ways to improve your success. You have to get to bedrock -- or at least false bedrock -- in most places. That's where the gold is. In many desert washes there are several feet of overburden filled with varying amounts of trash. You can't detect the gold that's five feet down on the bedrock because it is too deep but you can detect the trash in the top foot or so. If this fits the description of some of the places you've been hunting, think about it. All you can possibly find is trash. Go where your machine can find gold as well as trash.

Examine your trash. How big is it? Are we talking nails, bottle tops, shell casings? Or is most of it bird shot, tiny bullet shrapnel or slivers of fine wire fragments. If only the former, then gather together several super small metallic items and start practicing. Find out how small you can go with your Eureka. The vast majority of gold is small to tiny to micro. That's where you want to be honing your detecting skills. The elephants will take care of themselves.

I went out yesterday and all I found was trash.. It's normal at times. If we found gold evertime out, no one would come home!

• 2 weeks later...

As a new enthusiast myself, I have taken everyones advice to heart. My Cherry certainly isnt broken yet, but soon baby......soon!

Im pushin a year empty handed , but still go out and burn batterys up. Its just great to be outside doing something for myself not my boss. keep at it. I reading all the info offered , and hoping to try some new tricks soon. good luck beep beep beep

• 5 weeks later...

I have been at it for about a year hear in North..Northern Cal. I have been to many places that were worked in the 1800 to no avail. I have just recently aquired some head phones for my Garrett stinger. Im going to try and dig up the really faint signals now. I wish there was a club here in the Redding area becuase I would love to hook up with some more experienced people. Still trying...like someone said earlier. "Its better than sitting on the couch".