Nugget Shooter Forums

Military posts

DBaniel

I know this is a question better off directed towards the provost marshal, but just in case someone here knows.... Ive read its not ok to prospect for gold on a military reservation, but what about relic hunting? Ft Huachuca has been here for a very long time, and I expect there's lots of cavalry relics not to mention old coins around somewhere.... thoughts?

Not sure, but I would not venture on to a base with out a pass or written authorization from the Base Commandant for activities mentioned. Most Military Bases have Military Police protecting them and they arrest you and ask questions later, such as, name rank and service # well you get the idea--Provost Marshal would be a good starting point to get a pass.

I think generally the answer is no, I remember when I was at the Eglin reservation they were worried about them setting off unexploded ordinance. I have often wondered if I could do some detecting down on the goldwater range.

My best guess would be no metal detecting of any kind on a military reservation. Historical relics are covered under the American Antiquities Act of 1906, 16 USC 431-433, and all of it's revisions since. It is illegal for the public to excavate any historical man made objects on any federal/public land. I have yet to find in these federal laws where it states a how old an object has to be to be considered historical. From other discussions I've read the feds use 50 years to generally define historical, if it is 50 years or older it is historical and that includes coins. If the feds catch you and prosecute they can make your life miserable, possible fines and jail time.

FedLaw - Historical Preservation, Archaeology, Culture, and Recreation

Hi DBaniel, I think it is up to the base commander. We used to detect at Camp Roberts in San Miguel until they started to tear down the old barracks and found a live grenade under one that ended that. Hunter Liget was also open for detecting until 911 happened that base had part of the old Spanish trail on it going to Mission San Antonio. Found some old spanish coins and artifacts there. Also a good portion of the Los Burros gold district is on base property, But security is still tight there with all the training going on. The Fort Ord Base in Montery is open for detecting They are tearing down the old barracks there and some areas are like a silver mine especially below where the barrack steps used to be. In Nevada we stopped at a old air force base by Goldfield and they let us in to detect. It is always worth a try all they can say is no.

Good Luck, Bob