Nugget Shooter Forums

New Mexico Gold

Guest bedrock bob

Guest bedrock bob

I thought that since there were a whole bunch of new fellows posting that I would write a little report on this week end's activities. Maybe it will give the newbys some food for thought and open myself to ridicule from the ol' mossbacks.

I started by raking down a big tailings pile where I had found a nice nugget in the past. I ran the little coil really slow and found nothing. Did it again in another likely looking spot and nothing there either. Plugged in the medium coil and prowled around a while and still no luck.

Found a nice spot where the white caliche was exposed. I put the little coil back on and found a .4 gr. At about ½”. Looked for another hour and found two more, just like the first, within 3 feet of each other, and all about ½” deep in the caliche. I raked back some gravel and exposed a little more caliche and found nothing.

It was getting late and I was a half mile from the truck. I put the medium sized coil on and had just ground balanced it when I got a nice signal. I was an 11.3 gr. piece under about 4” of gravel, lying on that caliche layer. It was just six feet from the spot I had found the first one. It looks just like a buck deer. You can see his horns, his eyes, his nose and everything. He is looking at you over his left shoulder!

Anyhoo, the next morning I took the drywasher and a shovel back up to the spot and ripped up an area about 10’ in diameter and down into the caliche layer about an inch or so. I threw about 20-25 cubic feet of dirt through the puffer and was done in about four hours. I did spend about two more hours with the detector in my hole and around the immediate area after I finished drywashing, but I found no more gold. The caliche dives down inder the gravel and is out of range for the gold bug. I will be back to dig more soon. In a spot like this where the gold is too small/deep to detect effectively but fairly plentiful, it is often best to just drywash.

The larger piece was fairly clean when I dug it. All of the rest of the gold you see here was covered with a coating of caliche that resembles beige plaster. Just like an eggshell with a golden center. You can’t really see much “color” until you clean it all up. I have thrown away a few small nuggets in this area thinking that they were a little tan hot rocks. Those days are behind ne now.

Here is the count –

11.3 gr. piece, and 3 pieces about .4 grs. each, found with a detector. 24.4 grs. of chaff and small wire from the drywasher. Total of 36.7 grains when you weigh it all at once. 1.5 Dwt.

It cost me about seven hours of travel and 12 hours of prospecting, 30 gallons of gas, two meals at a restaurant, eight Tylenol, two nine volt batteries and an ol’ busted knuckle. I'll be back.

Bedrock Bob

It's funny. When you are doing what you want to do..... all those negatives just dont' add up to much!

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

New Mexico?

How did you get past the barbed wire/ Every damned piece of land that I've run across is fenced with devil wire,that's why I have to drive all the way to AZ or Ca to prospect! :rofl2:

I live in Springer NM.about 35 miles from Elizibeth town which was one of the richest gold

strikes in the SW; also Bald Mtn

( the Damned Boy Scouts of America own all of this land and refuse to allow you to prospect on it) which I can see clearly from my living room window, but these NM Yahoos won't let you on their cattle range, afraid you might steal a cow pie from them.

FORGET NEW MEXICO!

And my last name is Martinez! (Spainish i/Sicillian)( "It was Barrazinni all the time, Tatagglia

( was a Pimp, he could have neve out fought

(Sonney Corleone!

Ruts Of Ruck!

Bob

Guest Potholes Bob-NM
D. Bob,

You're right, it looks like a deer.

Greg

Hey Greg! If you're a "Gringo" or a Martinez born in NYC, that talks like a Gringo, Forget It!

New York City!...Get A rope! ( Spanish/Sicillian )..."It was Barzinni all the time, Tataglia was

a pimp, he could never have out fought

Sunny Corleone!

:laught16:

The locals won't even accept you if your family hasn't lived in the area for at least 100 years!

and they cuss us for being racist!

VIVA VILLiA ! HAR HAR! ( Potholes-AKA /Bob Martinez said that!)

Badge? I Don't Got To Show You No Stinking Badge!

Build The Wall, And They Will Come! (And Vote Democrat!)

PS...Don't drink the water! :laught16:

Guest bedrock bob

Hey Bob,

You dont have to go all the way to California to find gold. Surely you can find a Boy Scout that will let you prospect a little closer to home. :laught16:

Orale cabrones! Viva la tierra encantado! Viva Nortenos! Viva los pinche Surenos tambien!

Bob tambien para Nuevo Mejico. Sin potholes. Puro Comanchero, nada mas.

Bob...look deep into my eyes...your lids feel heavy, you are drifting into a deep sleep-p-p-p-p.

Now...you will message me and tell me that you want to take me to your spot, and show me where to find

gold...you are compelled to do this....*nod*..when I click my fingers, you will awake and send me the co-ordinates!

*click*...

Awesome finds. Hell....we went up the 87 this weekend and pulled of just before some place called sugerloaf mountain, and went over washes etc.

Being new to gold shooting, Im sure we were not within a hundred miles of gold, but did find a brand new foldable cot ( fwy ) and a knife ( on trail ) and

a brand new still wrapped in plastic womans handbag at the petrol station that someone had left by the rubbish bun. Go figure...*shrug*

Soon...soon...

HH - Johnny

I think you two Bobs have been sipping mescal or chewing peyote too mucho...

very pretty gold no matter how much time and money it took to get it.

Bob Martinez would you be related to my Uncle Willy Martinez in Durango Colorado...he is my mother's 1/2 brother....I only ask because the coincidence of cosmic connectiveness could make this possible...although, I realize Martinez is a common name.

Fred

Oops! Sorry about that, Bedrock Bob. I addressed you as D. Bob, for Digger Bob.

There's so many Bob's on here, Bedrock, Potholes, Digger, I can't keep them straight! :ROFL:

Potholes Bob, I'mnot sure if your post was for my benefit or not, if it was, sorry, but I don't understand it (?).

I got the Bob's mixed up, I think you are getting the Greg's mixed up.

Greg

Guest bedrock bob
Oops! Sorry about that, Bedrock Bob. I addressed you as D. Bob, for Digger Bob.

There's so many Bob's on here, Bedrock, Potholes, Digger, I can't keep them straight! :ROFL:

Potholes Bob, I'mnot sure if your post was for my benefit or not, if it was, sorry, but I don't understand it (?).

I got the Bob's mixed up, I think you are getting the Greg's mixed up.

Greg

Johnny,

You dont have to hypnotize me to get that info. The recipe for gold is dirt and sweat. Most folks will not provide the sweat, so the gold is safer in the dirt than it is in the bank!

... I had a dream one night. I dreamed we were all angels. Bearded angels floating over the desert on gossamer wings. We were searching and seeing with eyes that alowed us to see through the ground. PI eyes that made the smallest specs sparkle and glitter in the dirt. In my dream I could see the hills and a familiar skyline. It was home. Sierra Diablo. Sierra Animas. Sierra Caballo. Sierra County. No mysteries there. The old timers found it there and that is still where it is at. The dream only tells us what we already know. All that is left is the sweat. The angels just won't do the work for us. Neither will the Boy Scouts, darn those little duffers.

If you are ever in this neck of the woods let me know. I will put you over the gold but you will sweat. The sweat of a bearded angel with PI eyes. Your success will be in direct relation to the amount of dirt and sweat that are mixed together. That is the law. Not a rule, because rules can be broken. Laws are laws and they are a matter of physics. Laws are absolute. The gold/sweat/dirt coefficient is the law. The angels told me so.

I thought D. Bob was "Dammit Bob". It really did not dawn on me that you could be referring to anyone else.

Bedrock Bob

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

Hey Bob,

You dont have to go all the way to California to find gold. Surely you can find a Boy Scout that will let you prospect a little closer to home. :laught16:

Orale cabrones! Viva la tierra encantado! Viva Nortenos! Viva los pinche Surenos tambien!

Bob tambien para Nuevo Mejico. Sin potholes. Puro Comanchero, nada mas

quote]

Bedrock Bob:

Ich keine verstehen sie! Ich spreche Nur Deutsch, Nicht Alleman! :laught16:

My mom(Scillian) and Dad ( Eusturias Spain) spoke Italian and Spanish around the house when

I was a todler, and when they didn't want me to know what they were talking about...LOL!

Unfortunately, they were afraid that if I learned either language that it would interfere with my

speaking proper English, therefor, I'm a Martinez that only understands a few words of

Spanish ! In HS and college, I was in an Elec. Engineering program, and since at that time,

German was considered to be the primary "scientific language", I was required to learn

to read and speak German!

PS This is off topic, but I've got to tell you because a lot of you are not rich guys-LOL!( except

for Bill who sells us all those $$$ Minelabs-LOL!) I was recently quoted a price of $8500(thats

two Minelab 4500s-LOL), for extensive dental work, in the USA.

After doing research, I went to El Paso, and checked into a motel, where a Limo from Juarez

picked me up(and brought me back) and brought me to RIO DENTAL in Ciudad Juarez.

The RIO DENTAL( Do a Google on Rio Dental) facility was Super Clean, the dentists all spoke English, ( my dentist was

SUPERB, he did oral surgery as well as regular dentistry, and had the most modern and up to

date equipment and Digital Xrays.

Long story short, my entire bill( they take Visa-Etc) including beautiful partial Dentures for top

and bottom was $1200! This was for two days and Approx. Ten Hours in the dental chair.

This was a 6 hour drive for me, but I met people from the East Coast and even a lady from the

Fiji Islands. They fly in from all over the world to get this cheap but excellent work done!

I hope that this may save many of you some big bucks and you will be able to buy a new

Minelab with the money that you have saved :laught16:

PS My wife Jean took a trip there by herself, and we saved a whole bunch of cash!

Cheers and Beers!

Potholes

Guest Potholes Bob-NM
I think you two Bobs have been sipping mescal or chewing peyote too mucho...

very pretty gold no matter how much time and money it took to get it.

Bob Martinez would you be related to my Uncle Willy Martinez in Durango Colorado...he is my mother's 1/2 brother....I only ask because the coincidence of cosmic connectiveness could make this possible...although, I realize Martinez is a common name.

Fred

No relation, Fred. My only relatives are my older Sister in L.Is. NY, and my younger sister who is a Govt. MD. in Tenn.

No mescal or peyote these days Fred. I'm just getting back to my old (and strange) sense of

humor, which the old timers on this board well remember :laught16:

Guest bedrock bob

You guys are a hoot.

In labratory tests, a Bob digs faster, lasts longer, and can withstand temperature extremes that most Tom, Dick and Harrys just can't handle. Bobs have a gene for gold. A Bob is to prospecting what JOHN WAYNE is to western movies.

As for your experience in New Mexico.

Customs are strange here. An outsider is regarded like a farmer looks at a grashopper. No big deal when there is one or two, but in a horde it is just too much. The last thirty years have been a transformation from a third world country that was more of a paradise kingdom than a state, into a happening place, with movie stars and artists and thinkers and such. And lots and lots of people. Complete culture shock for the tribal Comanchero.

I was just giving you a little crap about your crack about the state. No big deal, just a little grito (cry). We New Mexicans are a little proud, kind of like a Texan only browner. I was just exalting the state a little.

I prospect in the south, but there are a lot of excellent placers here in the north too. San Pedros are great and they are only a couple hundred miles from you. If you want to get together on the research with me lets do it. We can find a spot to detect and get big uns! My girlfriend is from Cerillos right in the placer district and she knows a lot of folks there we could talk to. I also have a lead on some ground up in Tierra Amarilla that has coarse placer, but just like San Pedro we would have to find some inroads. All they can do is say "No" like the Boy Scouts, right? So lighten up on old New Mexico. We aint all cannibals for heavens sake. And there is good gold here but the cannibals are hiding it!

You are right about the dental work! I know hundreds of satisfied customers, as I have lived along the border all my life. I have never heard anything but the best reports.

Juarez is the most violent city in the western hemisphere. Dont trust me, Google the stats. It is much worse than our casualty rate in Iraq. There are excellent clinics just over the border in the market district. The area is as safe as Juarez gets. It is as safe as you are in El Paso on this side of the fence, possibly safer. Hire a diver you can trust and pay him well. I lived near Juarez for thirty years and have been there many times. Things happen here that will freak you out. It would not stop me from going and getting my teeth fixed, but pays to be extra safe in that city.

Guest Potholes Bob-NM
You guys are a hoot.

In labratory tests, a Bob digs faster, lasts longer, and can withstand temperature extremes that most Tom, Dick and Harrys just can't handle. Bobs have a gene for gold. A Bob is to prospecting what JOHN WAYNE is to western movies.

As for your experience in New Mexico.

Customs are strange here. An outsider is regarded like a farmer looks at a grashopper. No big deal when there is one or two, but in a horde it is just too much. The last thirty years have been a transformation from a third world country that was more of a paradise kingdom than a state, into a happening place, with movie stars and artists and thinkers and such. And lots and lots of people. Complete culture shock for the tribal Comanchero.

I was just giving you a little crap about your crack about the state. No big deal, just a little grito (cry). We New Mexicans are a little proud, kind of like a Texan only browner. I was just exalting the state a little.

I prospect in the south, but there are a lot of excellent placers here in the north too. San Pedros are great and they are only a couple hundred miles from you. If you want to get together on the research with me lets do it. We can find a spot to detect and get big uns! My girlfriend is from Cerillos right in the placer district and she knows a lot of folks there we could talk to. I also have a lead on some ground up in Tierra Amarilla that has coarse placer, but just like San Pedro we would have to find some inroads. All they can do is say "No" like the Boy Scouts, right? So lighten up on old New Mexico. We aint all cannibals for heavens sake. And there is good gold here but the cannibals are hiding it!

You are right about the dental work! I know hundreds of satisfied customers, as I have lived along the border all my life. I have never heard anything but the best reports.

Juarez is the most violent city in the western hemisphere. Dont trust me, Google the stats. It is much worse than our casualty rate in Iraq. There are excellent clinics just over the border in the market district. The area is as safe as Juarez gets. It is as safe as you are in El Paso on this side of the fence, possibly safer. Hire a diver you can trust and pay him well. I lived near Juarez for thirty years and have been there many times. Things happen here that will freak you out. It would not stop me from going and getting my teeth fixed, but pays to be extra safe in that city.

You're right Bedrock, Rio Dental is just over the border and in a very nice and clean part of Juarez.

Each time that I crossed over there were army troops carrying machine pistols, all around the place!.

There was always at least one Mexican Police car( yea, I know, that's what worries you :laught16: )

parked near Rio Dental, which has a locked door where you are "buzzed in'' and the door

re locks. The Limo, or Taxi that contracts to Rio Dental, picks you and drops you off, 20 feet

from the door.

Rules about travel in Mexico have changed, so bring a copy of your Birth Certificate or pass

port with you when you cross back into the US.

The first day that I came back across, I didn't

have my birth certificate, so the very polite, US customs, examined my drivers Lic. and asked

me lots of questions( they wanted to hear me talk) and explained the new rules for travel in

and out of the US. I happen to have a NEW YOAK / American Italian accent that you can cut

with a knife. My wife says that I actually have a "Sonny Corleone" accent and mannorisms,

but my younger sister says that I sound more like Tony Soprano :laught16:

That night, my wife, who was back home in

NM , faxed a copy of my BC to the Suite Six motel where I was staying.

Potholes

Bob, Mucho gracias amigo. If I am ever over your way, I'll surely give you a heads up.

Sweat? Lead me to it and I'll need to use a sluice instead of a drywasher, I'll sweat that much.

Toil? Haaaa...and I say HAAA......I'll toil till my palms bleed ( memories of my youth leap to mind surprisingly...thats a disturbing thought....)

I'll bring gifts and blankets for ALL the land I can see...I'll.......oops....*tap..tap*....I think I'm getting a little

carried away...

HH - Johnny

Bob

Just thought I would set you straight on Cerrillos. Most of the land there that is BLM is landlocked, the rest is private. If you belong to one of the local clubs then you can find a place to detect or dry wash. The place you are talking about up north is between Tres peidras and TA

Hopewell area to be exact. Gpaa has a claim there as do one of the local clubs. A good percentage of the area is claimed up.

If you are talking going south then there are some areas down there that have gold. I was down there 2 weekends ago and got five little ones with my detector. I am talking little. In fact your description of the caliche almost sounds like the same area. and wouldnt you know it most of that is claimed up also or private land.

Anyway there is gold here but it is just hard to get to.

Ray NM

Guest bedrock bob
Bob

Just thought I would set you straight on Cerrillos. Most of the land there that is BLM is landlocked, the rest is private. If you belong to one of the local clubs then you can find a place to detect or dry wash. The place you are talking about up north is between Tres peidras and TA

Hopewell area to be exact. Gpaa has a claim there as do one of the local clubs. A good percentage of the area is claimed up.

If you are talking going south then there are some areas down there that have gold. I was down there 2 weekends ago and got five little ones with my detector. I am talking little. In fact your description of the caliche almost sounds like the same area. and wouldnt you know it most of that is claimed up also or private land.

Anyway there is gold here but it is just hard to get to.

Ray NM

Ray,

I just moved to the north three years ago, from Las Cruces, where I was raised. I have claims in Hillsboro, and that is where I dig most. That is where the gold in the photo is from. I worked for years in the Caballos too. Orogrande, Pinos Altos, Hachitas, Goldsboro, and a little up on the San Francisco river at the Arizona border.

I have been busy with other interests and have not done much up north. I do know several folks that have private land there in Cerillos and there is no problem getting a spot to detect, but the sweet spot in those hills will be a problem. You are absolutely right about the land situation, but that just means that it will be more difficult than just loading up the truck and going. I am just a few miles from there as I write, and sooner or later I will get permission. Either that or I will be asking forgiveness. Que Lastima.

I was at that GPAA claim at Hopewell years ago, and I found a little gold, but the place I am speaking of is on a ranch near TA. It may be the Hopewell district, I dont know, but it is several miles away from the GPAA claim. Anyhoo, I met a man that owns a big spread up there and I believe I can get permisison. Cant hurt to ask him. I know there is coarse placer there because we discussed it.

I suppose that you are in the Albuquerque club? I know several of the old timers there. One of them is named Ray and has a claim next to mine in Hillsboro. Could this be you? There is a fellow named Al that was a super nice guy. I lost track of him years ago, but he used to have a claim in Hillsboro in that area too.

Hey, lets get together and save some gas. I go down south to Hillsboro regularly and hit Caballos once in a while too.

Bedrock Bob

Hey Potholes,

That is some pretty nice gold you have there. Those little chunky nuggets shows up real nice on the old computer screen.

You had a nice day. :whoopie: Congrats.

Boorx4

Ray,

I just moved to the north three years ago, from Las Cruces, where I was raised. I have claims in Hillsboro, and that is where I dig most. That is where the gold in the photo is from. I worked for years in the Caballos too. Orogrande, Pinos Altos, Hachitas, Goldsboro, and a little up on the San Francisco river at the Arizona border.

I have been busy with other interests and have not done much up north. I do know several folks that have private land there in Cerillos and there is no problem getting a spot to detect, but the sweet spot in those hills will be a problem. You are absolutely right about the land situation, but that just means that it will be more difficult than just loading up the truck and going. I am just a few miles from there as I write, and sooner or later I will get permission. Either that or I will be asking forgiveness. Que Lastima.

I was at that GPAA claim at Hopewell years ago, and I found a little gold, but the place I am speaking of is on a ranch near TA. It may be the Hopewell district, I dont know, but it is several miles away from the GPAA claim. Anyhoo, I met a man that owns a big spread up there and I believe I can get permisison. Cant hurt to ask him. I know there is coarse placer there because we discussed it.

I suppose that you are in the Albuquerque club? I know several of the old timers there. One of them is named Ray and has a claim next to mine in Hillsboro. Could this be you? There is a fellow named Al that was a super nice guy. I lost track of him years ago, but he used to have a claim in Hillsboro in that area too.

Hey, lets get together and save some gas. I go down south to Hillsboro regularly and hit Caballos once in a while too.

Bedrock Bob

Hi Bob

I have detected or drywashed some of the areas you talk about. Went to the Caballos a couple of weeks ago for 3 days but the arroyo that I have been working is pretty well cleaned out. I would have to work the hillsides now with a PI detector to do any good.

To get back to cerrillos you have to have a key to get in to where the gold is. Come to think of it I have worked some of the area so hard with my detector that about all you can find now are 1/2 grainers or less.

In answer to your question I dont have a claim in Hilsboro but do have one up in the San pedros. Plus I am on one with a group in the San Mateos. Also I do belong to the New Mexico Gold Miners association. If I get elected this December I may be the new VP of the club.

Anyway back to work.

RayNM

Guest bedrock bob
Hi Bob

I have detected or drywashed some of the areas you talk about. Went to the Caballos a couple of weeks ago for 3 days but the arroyo that I have been working is pretty well cleaned out. I would have to work the hillsides now with a PI detector to do any good.

To get back to cerrillos you have to have a key to get in to where the gold is. Come to think of it I have worked some of the area so hard with my detector that about all you can find now are 1/2 grainers or less.

In answer to your question I dont have a claim in Hilsboro but do have one up in the San pedros. Plus I am on one with a group in the San Mateos. Also I do belong to the New Mexico Gold Miners association. If I get elected this December I may be the new VP of the club.

Anyway back to work.

RayNM

Just like the San Pedros or the Ortiz, any areas that you are working in the Caballos are private or under claim as well. No open ground in Hillsboro either. The facts are that just about anywhere you go, if you are finding gold you need to have permission, a deed, or a claim. This is not hard to get, and it can be bought rather cheaply. So, that gate key is not the only way in, and is not exclusive.

I can get access to the entire placer area from the western end, and can access from any KLM Gold property, which is the company that has most of the claims/patents. I have the key to that gate already. The area is really big and there are lots of opportunities besides the Cunningham hill area to find gold. I know that most folks feel that it is impossible to get permission here, it is not. You just have to know who to talk to and how to go about it. There are innumerable private lots that also have some placer, and although it is not the "sweet spot" anyone can hunt here if the just do a little research and talk to the right folks. There are actually three seperate placers here and the Ortiz extends darn near to the Rio grande down the west side. To the east of the San Pedros the placer extends for miles toward the Estancia basin. There is placer at Cerillos that is not connected to either the Ortiz or the San Pedro, and this one is all on private land that belongs (mostly) to my girlfriends family and friends. I don't believe that I will have any barriers to this one at all.

Rosedale, San Mateos. One of my old stomping grounds. Not much placer here. Lots of free gold in those manganese veins at the Baking Powder and the Bell mine. These belonged to an old friend of mine B. Franklin from Hillsboro, bless his soul. Like most gold lodes in the state it produced very little placer but excellent free milling gold ore. Park just past the old chimney on the left of the road at the turnout and take the faint trail up the canyon. You will pass an old mill and to your right there will be a series of drifts. Not too far past the portal you will begin to see the manganese veins. In places they have been stoped out, and this is where the gold is. A five gallon bucket of the select material will yield about 1/8 oz. of gold, once you get it all beat down and seperated. One of the quickest places to make a few bucks that I know of. Beware, the mine is rotten and that drift will kill you if you are not careful.

All of the main arroyos in the Caballos have been worked hard, at least three times. Most of the really big gold is on the hilltops right on the surface, and in the fan above Caballo canyon. My uncle worked here during the depression and could speck up about 1 oz. per month with no equipment at all. George S., Mark W. and Terry W. had most of the productive BLM under claim as of three years ago, but they are great guys and will usually let folks dig with permission. The rest of the land is private...Harvey Yates. He does not offer his permission but lives a long way away, so the whole county hygrades the place at will. The rancher has a lease from Harvey and does not like prospectors too well. Periodically he will run folks off. It does not do much good, and does not last long. There are small pockets of whoppers up near the foot of the mountains on hardrock claims, but they are very difficult to find and show no signs of prospecting. Terry W. is the State Parks Ranger. Look him up and he may give you some tips.

...There are other area in the Caballos that will make you sing. Both north and south of the recognized placer area. You will have to prospect a very long time to find them. Good luck!

So, I hope you get elected VP.

Yep Bob you know your way around here I can see that now.

If you ever want to get together Let me know. Email address is huffman at itsatrip.org left out the @ sign so the harvesters dont get me anymore than they already have. I usually detect with 2 other guys but one is getting close to 80 and does not go out very much any more.

RayNM Rio Rancho

Just like the San Pedros or the Ortiz, any areas that you are working in the Caballos are private or under claim as well. No open ground in Hillsboro either. The facts are that just about anywhere you go, if you are finding gold you need to have permission, a deed, or a claim. This is not hard to get, and it can be bought rather cheaply. So, that gate key is not the only way in, and is not exclusive.

I can get access to the entire placer area from the western end, and can access from any KLM Gold property, which is the company that has most of the claims/patents. I have the key to that gate already. The area is really big and there are lots of opportunities besides the Cunningham hill area to find gold. I know that most folks feel that it is impossible to get permission here, it is not. You just have to know who to talk to and how to go about it. There are innumerable private lots that also have some placer, and although it is not the "sweet spot" anyone can hunt here if the just do a little research and talk to the right folks. There are actually three seperate placers here and the Ortiz extends darn near to the Rio grande down the west side. To the east of the San Pedros the placer extends for miles toward the Estancia basin. There is placer at Cerillos that is not connected to either the Ortiz or the San Pedro, and this one is all on private land that belongs (mostly) to my girlfriends family and friends. I don't believe that I will have any barriers to this one at all.

Rosedale, San Mateos. One of my old stomping grounds. Not much placer here. Lots of free gold in those manganese veins at the Baking Powder and the Bell mine. These belonged to an old friend of mine B. Franklin from Hillsboro, bless his soul. Like most gold lodes in the state it produced very little placer but excellent free milling gold ore. Park just past the old chimney on the left of the road at the turnout and take the faint trail up the canyon. You will pass an old mill and to your right there will be a series of drifts. Not too far past the portal you will begin to see the manganese veins. In places they have been stoped out, and this is where the gold is. A five gallon bucket of the select material will yield about 1/8 oz. of gold, once you get it all beat down and seperated. One of the quickest places to make a few bucks that I know of. Beware, the mine is rotten and that drift will kill you if you are not careful.

All of the main arroyos in the Caballos have been worked hard, at least three times. Most of the really big gold is on the hilltops right on the surface, and in the fan above Caballo canyon. My uncle worked here during the depression and could speck up about 1 oz. per month with no equipment at all. George S., Mark W. and Terry W. had most of the productive BLM under claim as of three years ago, but they are great guys and will usually let folks dig with permission. The rest of the land is private...Harvey Yates. He does not offer his permission but lives a long way away, so the whole county hygrades the place at will. The rancher has a lease from Harvey and does not like prospectors too well. Periodically he will run folks off. It does not do much good, and does not last long. There are small pockets of whoppers up near the foot of the mountains on hardrock claims, but they are very difficult to find and show no signs of prospecting. Terry W. is the State Parks Ranger. Look him up and he may give you some tips.

...There are other area in the Caballos that will make you sing. Both north and south of the recognized placer area. You will have to prospect a very long time to find them. Good luck!

So, I hope you get elected VP.

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

Google search "New Mexico gold rush at Elizabeth Town" Very interesting article.

I saw machinery working that area last time I went to look about five years ago. Like I

mentioned, Every Thing is fenced off :ROFL:

Potholes

Whatever happened to Pegasus gold corp., when i was looking around that area years ago they had plans for a big open pit mine. Seems like they had all of the ortiz mine grant tied up at the time. The locals i ran into in that area did seem unusually vocal about their dislike of strangers and always were quick to let you know how trespassers were dealt with, -shoot first ask later-.

Carl