Nugget Shooter Forums

No gold, but a find!

Went on a job last week, for a friend. His uncle's (deceased) property. Got the heater repaired (my job), friend gave me a tour of the place and showed me 'the boneyard'. A lot of neat stuff, but eyes hit a treasure. A Joshua Hendy #2 Hydraulic Giant complete (except for washer and nut for swivel)!

Thought it'd be a good conversation piece to put in the yard and may, but think it may be better in a mining museum. Don't know yet, have Kroil-oil on the threads, to see if I can get the gun mounted to the swivel. Mariposa already has one (larger) and don't know of any places here in Madera County that used them.

No gold this weekend, but this treasure-

post-58-1226885088_thumb.jpg

post-58-1226885118_thumb.jpg

post-58-1226885140_thumb.jpg

That's awesome, Shep...You better snatch that bad boy up and create your own museum...I knew where several of those giants were up off the Salmon River drainage in Siskiyou County, California, but back then, early '80's, there were still enough of them around that it wasn't worth the effort to drag them a couple miles downtrail...I got to ride on and mine with the last giant in operation in CA up White's gulch off the north fork of the Salmon back in those days...The owners had a saddle mounted on it and it was much like the mechanical bulls you see in Texas bars but more under control....It had a swivel nozzle that you could control back forth and up down...It was an awesome experience...Old high channel and some incredible nuggets...We'd wash for a while and then just go collect nuggets off the bedrock like chickens picking up corn :woohoo: ...Unfortunately I had to turn over all the nuggets to the mine owner, but it was still an amazing experience...The owners got busted a couple years later for having an extensive underground, ah, er, growing room in their hard rock tunnel...They did some time on that one :outtahere: ...Back in the day, ya know :innocent0002: :icon_mrgreen: ... Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron, I did an intense ;-) search on these things, to make sure, I got all the parts. There was a tractor seat w/ long bars attached laying beside it, and I left it there. All I saw was brown rust; send me your DNA, this might of been the rider! :laught16:

Shep

Shep

Nice piece of history for your collection but sooner or later the ladies say enough is enough.

Mine wants her garage back so she can park a car in it, :outtahere: can you believe that. :innocent0009:

Dano, don't know what to say about that???? Maybe, it's time to find new lady?. Naw, my wife moves stuff (potent stuff) from the house out to garage. When garage gets cluttered, I move it back into house. She leaves garage alone now. (BUT! I keep and eye on dumpster)

Shep

Slim.,

It's a neat find, but not as warm and fuzzy as Nugget. Wanna trade? We could mount it on that Suzi!

You staying in AZ thru Feb? Might see you then-

Shep

Hey Shep...There was a time my DNA would of been a score... :innocent0002: .Nowadays you can find tylenol & assorted pain pills chems anywhere...I remember when the old timers then told me I was gonna be sorry for laying in that cold water all day and digging into those banks for the sluice when the ground was frozen & snow covered...Then I just laughed and had me another shot of Southern Comfort...Me and Janice, who I actually met through a mutual friend one night in San Francisco back in the late 60's, :innocent0009: thought it excellent antifreeze.... :laught16: .. I had a plan of ops, which I'm sure the FS would have approved.... Five buckets of material through the sluice for one strong pull off the bottle from the snow...When the bottle was done, pan the cons and walk, more or less, home... :laught16: ...That was a good time in life...Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron- Southern Comfort? Oh those were the days! We used to make snow runs in our 4wds, coffee cups spilled so as last resort would reach down get a scoopful of snow and pour a bit of SC in to keep us warm and on our way :innocent0002:

Gary! You still alive? How's the pooch doing? Gonna be anywhere near AZ in Febuary?

Shep

Slim.,

It's a neat find, but not as warm and fuzzy as Nugget. Wanna trade? We could mount it on that Suzi!

You staying in AZ thru Feb? Might see you then-

Shep

No deal Shep. I'll keep Nugget and you keep the Hendy. We will be in AZ (or SE CA) in Feb but unless global warming really kicks in we'll be down by the border where it's warmer.

Hi Shepster

I used to wear one just like that one but my steel balls kept clanking :grrr01: !! It was just too hard and noisy to try and sneak up on nuggets with all the noise going on :Huh_anim]: !! The steel balls were about the size of basket balls soo you need to go back and find them :outtahere: !! Then you have an official John B. jock strap :innocent0002: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Don't know what happened?????? Computer almost went into a complete lock up! :Huh_anim]: :Huh_anim]: :Huh_anim]: Seems it almost got overloaded w/ way too much BS all at once!

How've you been John?

:innocent0002: Shep

Guest bedrock bob
Hi Shepster

I used to wear one just like that one but my steel balls kept clanking :grrr01: !! It was just too hard and noisy to try and sneak up on nuggets with all the noise going on :Huh_anim]: !! The steel balls were about the size of basket balls soo you need to go back and find them :outtahere: !! Then you have an official John B. jock strap :innocent0002: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hey John,

I just tie my huge steel balls in a sling and throw them over my shoulder. it keeps them from dragging on the ground and leaving those telltale tracks.

Bedrock Bob