Nugget Shooter Forums

new to the forum

GTIMANiac

Hey all. I have been trolling for awhile and trying to learn as much as possible about your hobby and passion. I do a lot of bird hunting this time of year so I am away from the family 2-3 weekends a month. I thought to myself a great way to fill the mid-day break from hunting would be to do some prospecting panning and nugget shooting depending on where I am. I figured this would also be a great way to bring the wife and daughter along with me and do something as a family outdoors.

-scott

Scott,

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here if you only ask. If you have never panned before I suggest you join the GPAA. They have a pan and a video in the new member kit that works well and the video is very instructional to get you and family started.

Good luck ... and watch out that the Fever doesn't catch you! As they say there is no cure ... but it is not fatal!

Mike F.

Well. Sounds like you are approaching it right. You are intrested in adding it as a hobby. A great hobby it is. As far as the family is concerned ... I don't know your wife.. I swear. I assume though that your daughter is the typical child, and will like some part of anything her Dad is intrested in. I don't know her age but I have 2 daughters 8 and 9 and they really love the digging part. Figure out which part she likes and fit that into your new hobbie. It is a blast when you have people you enjoy, around you enjoying all your little victories as you have them. Now for info that people can work with..

What area will you be prospecting... water/desert?

Have you looked into any clubs?

Do you have any equipment?

You know .. let us know what you are intrested in and what you have available so we can chat with ya about it.

Well. Sounds like you are approaching it right. You are intrested in adding it as a hobby. A great hobby it is. As far as the family is concerned ... I don't know your wife.. I swear. I assume though that your daughter is the typical child, and will like some part of anything her Dad is intrested in. I don't know her age but I have 2 daughters 8 and 9 and they really love the digging part. Figure out which part she likes and fit that into your new hobbie. It is a blast when you have people you enjoy, around you enjoying all your little victories as you have them. Now for info that people can work with..

What area will you be prospecting... water/desert?

Have you looked into any clubs?

Do you have any equipment?

You know .. let us know what you are intrested in and what you have available so we can chat with ya about it.

The daughter is about 5 and a half and has been begging to go coyote hunting for almost 3 yrs now.

Mainly in the desert but in some rivers and wet washes.

Equipment a garrett scorpion, a few pans, polaris ranger :)

I have just started trolling the forums and reading articles, I have not looked into a club yet.

Nice. I don't know anything about the garret but I can tell you your daughter will be having fun at her age as long as you and Mom are. You'd be surprised how much dirt a little girl can dig. Don't forget that most of the gold will be down deep at the bedrock or something that stops it from moving further down so digging down before you take a sample is a good idea. Do some research and go where gold has been found. Find a club near you that can get you into some legal gold bearing ground and learn from there. The Polaris will make sure you have fun seeing new places no matter what, just remember the fun is the improtant part.