Nugget Shooter Forums

What is your reasoning

I like the thought of , When I pick that meteorite up for the first time I am the first person to ever hold it..........

and it is an interesting feeling to "own" a piece of rock from space.

My whole thing started one day metal detecting in a graveled parking area at one of my friends property. I thought I had picked up a signal from a coin. I started digging and didn't come up with the coin. I started going thru the gravel I had moved around and discovered a small heavy object. The gravel was muddy and the best I could see at the time was that I had something about the size of a half dollar but it was very heavy. I had to go meet my BIL at the church in a few minutes, so I loaded up in the truck and headed over there. When I got out of the truck there at the church, there was water running down the gutter next to the curb. I washed the object off in the water and looked at it briefly. Couldn't figure out what it was at that time and just put it in my pocket. Later that evening, I found it again and started examining it closer. We had a small magnifying glass so I was able to see it up close. Looked like a rusted something. It has been a number of years now since then and quite frankly I don't remember exactly what made me start looking on the internet but I think I was trying to find out what minerals were very heavy like that. Well one thing lead to another and I started finding out something about meteorites. One article I read said to grind a corner off to see if there was chrome like metal inside, so I did. Yes there was. I noticed while grinding that it was extremely hard material. After grinding a small spot, I spent the better part of an hour and a half filing the grind marks out, then I sanded the file marks and finally I removed the sanding marks with a diamond sharpening stone. I have since compared that material to the material many, many other pieces of metal that I have found and nothing yet has compared to. Talk about a chrome look.

So, then my curiosity was ignited and I started searching more in earnest about meteorites. Since then, I have read everything I could find on the internet at least half a dozen times and have read several books on meteorites. I found the M-List and a couple other forums and joined them.

When reading about Dr. Nininger's work and how he hunted with a magnet cane, I thought why not. Meteorites are susceptible to magnets, I will build a magnet cane and see if I can find some. I did. I bought two 2" x 2" supermagnets and a shop magnet cane. I stuck the two supermagnets to the bottom of the round magnet on the shop cane and wall-ah. Meteorite cane.

I have been actively hunting now for over 6 years. None of my pieces have yet to be examined by a person in the know but... I believe I have 30 or more small iron pieces and half that many very small stonys. I know, I know, that is just this old man's opinion. But I have some good news. I have had a reply from a Lab in NM that said I could send in a sample. So I am getting ready to do that now to have them look at one of the irons. If they come back and tell me I am full of old ned, I'll let you know. If they agree with me on them however, I might try to get them recognized as Colorado finds. I think they are notable and worth the effort although small they are.

So that is my story. Just an old man trying every which way to learn as much about meteorites and their origins as I possibly can. It's weird I know but pulling one of these little stones out of my little storage container and taking a good close up look at it under the low-power microscope sure gives me a lot of pleasure. Just knowing that what I am holding and looking at may possibly be from another solar body or former solar body is what keeps me interested. They are fascinating to say the least.

I am still working in the field of Occupational Safety and Health for the next couple years anyway. But then, if my health holds and the economy will let me retire, I am planning to get out more and hunt somewhere beside within 5 miles of my house. Time is the issue now for me.

This forum is a great resource as are a couple others. I enjoy the M-List but I am too dumb to really offer much on there. Best for me to lurk on there as much as I can. I'm up here in western Colorado so I am a bit far from apparently most of you. I won't be hunting any dry lake beds around here. : )

Regards to all,

Mike in CO

nom de plume - Rockbiter

Micro Hunter of SouthWest Colorado

Guest bedrock bob

I am not sure whether it is the chaotic orbit, the screaming hot metal flying through the air, the thrill of finding the rare and beautiful, or the fact that you can find 'em with a metal detector. It is like an omlette with everything.

When I was a young man I loved to hunt. Living on the border we hunted dove religiously. One fall afternoon while sitting by a water tank I saw a thin white streak in the air out of the corner of my eye and I saw a dark rock about the size of a golf ball hit the ground on the hill about 50 yards right in front of me. it hit and rolled down about 10 feet or so. I ran over and began to look for it. I had no idea what I was looking for. There were many dark rocks. I assumed it would be hot so I began rolling around on the ground hoping to feel the heat on my skin (yeah, I know, but I was being as resourceful as I could). My father came over the hill and saw me rolling around and came over and jerked me off the ground. When I tried to explain he told me to stop that silly crap and hunt some dove or he was going to kick my ass. So I hunted dove. It seemed to be the thing to do at the time.

I became fascinated with rocks, but not especially meteorites. Go figure. Gold is plentiful in Southern New Mexico, and I wound up working placer and hard rock deposits as well as dabbling in silver. I prospected for many years and wound up using a metal detector. At some point it all came full circle and now I am hunting meteorites. Dad passed on years ago so I can get by with it now.

Bedrock Bob

As a young lad, living in the mountains of Colorado. I use to look at the stars at night and always wondered what it would be like to go into space........ :confused0013:

As an adult with the USAF, Pararescue, I worked with the Space Shuttle program (STS-1, 2 & 3) as a parachuting paramedic. That was the closest I'll ever get to be an astronaut. Sooooo..... what better way to deal with it than to have space come to you :coffeetime:

I've now been studying and collecting meteorites for over 10 years and loving it. Still getting it together for hunting. I sold my jeep, it was just way to small. I just bought a GMC Suburban, took the seats out of the back end. I'll be buying a Gold Bug 2 after the first and back into the desert to hunt the mighty meteorite..... :icon_mrgreen:

Best wishes and happy hunting, jim "bones" :outtahere:

PS: Also want to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.... eat till you :angry-smiley-010:

I've always had an interest in space related things and I think probably what had the biggest influence on me was where I grew up (near Edwards AFB CA). It was neat getting to see the Space Shuttle fly over my house and land. When I worked on base it was pretty cool because the the first things the Astonauts would do (after the Flight Surgeons clear them) is go to the local Burger King and get a fat juicy cheesburger and sometimes I would get to see them. Geez I even remember seeing rocket engine tests a few miles away (it's kind of cool and scary when they blow up). I also remember learning about Ron Hartmans escapades with meteorites on the local dry lake beds back in the 60's. Also I think it's cool to find something thats from space.

Del

Aloha everyone,

For me it is not only hunting for meteorites, it is just the hunt in itself that keeps me going.

My Hawaiian name, Ka'imi, translates to "seeker" so I guess me grandmother knew a little more about me than anyone else. I have always been seeking treasure as long as I can remember. From old coins in old homesites and in the forests back in Hawaii where people used to picnic to the ghosttowns of nevada and arizona.

I discovered my first meteorite on 12/26/06, thanks Jason for the ride to Franconia and to Rick)AZDigger for your help with my GMT, and have since become hooked. The discovery of something that has been traveling in outer space for who knows how long is one of the great questions I have always asked myself whenever I found a specimen and the thought that I am probably the first person on this planet to pick it up just adds to the pleasure and excitement of the find. Monetarily, it doesnt mean squat to me or I would have quit a long time ago. It is in the seeking and finding that I get my reward. Just my :twocents: !

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Ka'imi