Nugget Shooter Forums

Newby Needs Advice

booboo98498

I just acquired a Fisher Gold Bug 2 with 14" coil. The coil is huge. I had a Gold Bug (original) years ago and had all three sizes of coil. I found a lot of lead pellets, bullets and nails. I never did find any gold, but don't think I really applied myself. Then work started to interfer with my hobby. Now work is over and I can again follow my dream. The information I need is what size coil should I have other than the 14"? I would like to start searching somewhere around Dolan Springs or near Quartzite.

I would recommend the 6.5" coil over the 14" or the 10" coil by far. I doubt if you'll find anything really big since that area has been really hit hard in the past few years with the Minelabs. So your best bet is to go after the really small pieces beyond the reach of other detectors and the small 6.5" coil is the perfect choice. Get some good headphones, work slow and concentrate on your signals. Dig everything.

Steve

I have a GB2 and I can tell you what has worked for me. I havn't had it for all that long however I have found gold in a few different situations. Hardrock tailings and washes with exposed caliche. The GB2 has mineralisation settings that help you work around hot rocks. If you are in an area that you know has gold I suggest setting it on low minerilasation and ground balancing it if you can. As you go up in the mineralization settings you lose sensitivity. Then go ahead and dig the hotrocks out of the area and give it a good going over. The detector can't hande minerilization to well so I find that it is best to get rid of the false signals and use it at max sensitivity. This is slow and laborious and definately not best with unkown areas. It also seems to work best with smooth even sweeps repeated over the same spot so I usually take a few minutes to throw out any larger rocks that are in the way and will keep me from making a full swing. I am no expert and maybe someone else can chime in and educate me but this is the way that has worked for me... dig everything and keep it in a satchel out of your way so that you can work your area well. If you run into any confusing signals that are hard to pinpoint make sure you chase them down. usually you scraped too much dirt over the target while digging it out of the hole so level all of your dig piles out and detect them before refilling your holes. The detector works.. to this I can attest.

Jag;

who can argue with success?

You have found a method that works and found gold...well done!

I would suggest to a beginner that they DONOT try to run full-throttle untill they get experienced with their machine. The GB2 wll find sub-gram bits with

60-80 % sensitivity and will be much easier to learn...

Fred

Guest bedrock bob

Dude,

Nothing finds the tiny stuff like a Gold Bug II. Great machine. It can be a noisy pain in the butt, but you will definitely figure it out fairly quick. You can actually sample dirt and find stuff that you can hardly see. The tiny coil and a rake will put gold in the poke every day. When you rake you will remove most of the hot rocks and gain about 1 1/2" in depth in most gravel. Rake a small area in a place that you can find color with a drywasher... Anywhere you KNOW there is gold. Set the sensitivity about 7-8 and ground balance it exactly. If you get it just right the Gold Bug II is a sweet machine. If your ground balance is not perfect it gets noisy quick. Go slow. Real slow. Like you are painting the ground with a paintbrush. Dig every whisper. You will learn the difference between most hot rocks and metal tarets pretty quickly. Do little patches aginst bedrock and of course the tailings piles. Like it has been said so wisely above, you wont cover much ground.

Resist the temptation to get up and walk around with the small coil. You can find a nugget this way but you wont cover much ground and that small coil works best real slow. REAL SLOW. The mid size coil is best for walking around swinging over general ground and is nearly as sensitive as the small coil. it goes a little deeper, not much, and it tends to be a little faster. I use the big coil too. No problems. it is deeper still but hard to swing. Target response is different with the big coil, and things sometimes give a doube beep.

You can run the Gold Bug too hot. people cry about the noise, but if you run the mineralization switch on high, and the audio boost on normal, and turn the sens no higher than eight, IT WILL BEHAVE IN MOST GROUND. It still will find TINY GOLD at 2"-3" and have good depth on the various sized bigger nuggets with all coils. You can turn it up higher, get about another 1/2" out of it, and listen to racket until your head pops too. Some ground you can turn it up to "super freak" and find darn near gold dust with it.

Bedrock Bob

hmmm.. Well this sounds like you know something I do not. I did not take this as the more complicated method. I was doing alot of manual labor to make the detector work as well as I could. Maybe you are considering me discerning between all the different tones. I am not doing this. I am digging it all. No arguement with you at all I'm just clarifying because this is my "beginners method" lol.

Guest bedrock bob

There is hot rocks and then there is bad ground.

A hot rock will allways give you a repeatable positive tone. Or at least that is what I call a hot rock. There are other rocks and bad ground that will give you ghostly signals, null the threshold (cold rock) and then those that make other various racket that could not be considered a repeatable signal. The PI machines ignore most of this bad ground. A Gold Bug II gets it all. if you turn it up too high you will hear every rock, and it will be a very talkative machine. It is hard to hear a piece of gold underneath all of that. When I say the Gold Bug is "noisy" I am saying that, in most placer ground it is tough to tune it whre there is no other noise besides positive repeatable signals, especially if you use the higher sensitivity settings. You loose a little depth and a little sensitivity by turning it down until it behaves, but you will ultimately find more gold AT FIRST. Once you know what the bug is telling you, you will tend to turn it up a little hotter and deal with SOME of that noise. Perfect ground balance is a must and it is often just a TOUCH on the fine control that is the difference between stable and a little too hot or a little too cold. If it is out of adjustment at all you will "hear the ground" a little. The higher the sensitivity the more finicky the bug will get. When it gets out of control you will hear a lot of noise and get "false signals".

Then there are signals. Positive repeatable signals. I dig all of em. Some of 'em are trash, some are treasure, and a few are of the "hot rock" variety.

I hope that clarifies. If it didn't' ask me again. I just love to write this crap.

And as for manual labor, YES! A shovel and a rake are the two most important tools for any prospector. The detector is the third most important. Use them to get that extra depth and get all of that cobble out of your way. You will find more gold by weight, and you will find literally hundreds of small flakes in spots that other fellows have just rushed over looking for nuggets. This is where the gold bug shines. Not only will the drywashers tell you where to use the detector, but the detector will tell you where to drywash. It will also find those big 'uns too, just not as deep as a PI. Also, most of the hot rocks and "noise" is near the suface in that "desert pavement" and a rake can turn noisy ground into nice detecting in a hurry.

Most gold is on bedrock and often bedrock is just out of reach of the machine. Any machine. You can get as much depth as you want with a shovel. Once you get within a few inches drag out the nugget bone and put 'em in the poke. I dont care how good detectors get, they will never beat shovel, shoulder, and sweat. Some fellows use a detector to keep from having to dig like a miner. I say do both and get twice as much.

Now, there is some advice that is not just a bunch of noisy bedrock.

Bedrock Bob

I've been using my GB2 for more than 12 years and it can't be beat for small shallow dinks...One thing no one has mentioned is the discrimination switch...It is darn near infallible...When you get a target, flip to disc and gold will give a solid scream, repeatable and constant...If it is iron it will static out and even birdshot will give a different signal...To learn, get yourself a dink and a variety of other metal including birdshot...Swing over them all both slow and fast and you'll be amazed...I can identify a target by sound 99% of the time...The sole exception is for small gold with rock in it...That sometimes gives a slight breakup in the disc sound...Also, a large chunck of iron will also scream like a large nugget in disc, but a small piece won't...Good luck...Cheers, Unc

Thanks for all the details Bob. Good stuff. I was actually aiming my last question at fred masons comment but you snuck in there before I finished my reply lol. I am loving my gold bug and learning lots of little stuff. Those hotrocks are heavy in the area I have been hunting. That is why I went to my method of just digging them all out of the way instead of listening to them and discerning. I have learned to recognise them pretty well but when there are so many in one spot I simply grab them all out of there and run the detector with med or low minerilisation. As to what Fred said. I pick my minerilisation then adjust my sensitivity to the ground balance. I never run it any more than 8. I was refering to moving all the hot rocks and running lower minerilastion settings. Can't wait to get out again even though I am on a 3 trip skunkaroo... I have some plans for some areas I am considering doing a little digging and stacking.

Jag; I think you have got the very best info from Alan, Bob and Unc Ron...please don't think I was being critical of your method, I don't quibble with success. Many people want to use their machine at the highest level which is fine but also is the hardest way to learn...take me, I learn almost everything the hard way...it is a genetic defect.

Fred

...take me, I learn almost everything the hard way...it is a genetic defect"

Hmmm maybe were related lol.

I didn't take it negative at all. I was just clarifying in case you knew something I needed to know.