Nugget Shooter Forums

Bouse

Aloha Allen,

I also understand the area to be "quite rough" and wouldnt even take my jeep into that area unless I had a couple of other guys going in with me. Just in case of a mechanical problem. Looks like it would be a looooong hike out.

May be worth it for some people BUT not for a lone person.

Aloha and good luck,

Stan aka Kaimi

• 2 years later...

Quite sometime back there was a post of a possible find in the Bouse area, Anyone heard anymore about it??

Allen in MT

I know this is an old post but has anyone heard anything further about BOUSE in a while???

Jim

Hi Guys,

The last I heard, the "Bouse" find was analyzed and found to be a dead match for one of the NWA meteorites. You know, as in planted. I'm really surprised you hadn't heard about it. It's OLD news. You can get the details if you go to meteorite-times.com and go through past monthly columns by Robert Verish. It's there. In any case, even if the the Bouse meteorite was a hoax, it's still a good place to hunt for meteorites, so get at it before the triple digit weather comes around again.

Good Hunting, Ben

Bob Verish wrote at least three articles for Meteorite Times Magazine in 2007-2008, in which he investigates the Bouse finds. If you go to the website, and his column, "Bob's Findings by Robert Verish", you can find the article "Sand Encrusted Stones of The NWA 869 Meteorite". You can find it by title or just put Bouse in their search box to get there the long way. At the end of the article, there are links to the other two articles. It pays to read up on these things. Like I said, this is OLD news. It's still a good winter to make a new (legitimate) meteorite find yourselves, in the Bouse area.

Good Luck, Ben

HI Ben-

I was interested in the Bouse find back when the initial "discovery" was made and tried to find more information in the following months to no avail. I had no idea the Bouse Meteorite was a hoax until just now. But if the Bouse meteorite is a hoax, why is it in the Met Bulletin? I went to that website and Robert V doesn't really come out and say it's a hoax.

But you are certainly right about that area as far as finding meteorites. There's some legitimate ones out there to be found but it's a rugged area to hunt. I would bet there's some other interesting things to be found in that area also.

Steve

Hi Guys,

The last I heard, the "Bouse" find was analyzed and found to be a dead match for one of the NWA meteorites. You know, as in planted. I'm really surprised you hadn't heard about it. It's OLD news. You can get the details if you go to meteorite-times.com and go through past monthly columns by Robert Verish. It's there. In any case, even if the the Bouse meteorite was a hoax, it's still a good place to hunt for meteorites, so get at it before the triple digit weather comes around again.

Good Hunting, Ben

\

Hi Ben,

Great meeting you this weekend!

Oh, I've heard about it, read all of Bob's stuff on it, the bulletin, etc. I have had in depth email conversations with Bob in which he detailed further information about it and the sand particles found on the thing. Collected sand samples, etc. He really spent some time on this, that is for sure! I have stood dead on the coordinates given and calculated the various spots with different map datums.

My reason for asking is that I am going to make eye to eye contact with some of the locals that claimed to have found pieces of it. This county is small there are not too many places I haven't been in it. And I know many folks in Bouse, my Dad lived there for a while and one of my offices was dead in the middle of Bouse. I taught SAR and CERT classes out there several years ago.

Anyway, I just find it interesting and wondered of anyone had heard anything further. There was also a gold nugget scam East of Bouse some time ago.

I am currently hunting for an enstatite my cat ran off with.....Uggg.

Jim