Nugget Shooter Forums

White TDI detector

gold fault

I looked at the Whites website this morning and saw that the TDI machine is finally out. The asking price is about $1600 which is about what most people want for a used SD 2200. It comes with a 2 year warrenty and is made right here in the good old USA. So far the field reports have only had praise for the detector. I am going to start saving up, I know what I want for Christmas. Bob

You may want to read the posts on the White's TDI forum or the Alaska Prospecting forum...for a machine that was meant for nugget-hunting there are not many posts coming in regarding it's preformance...that could mean they are cleaning up with it or that they are shy or it isn't what they expected...from what I have seen it is probably a very good value for the the money...

Fred

Aloha guys,

Oh ye of little faith! These guys are scooping up bigtime and they just dont want the word to get out until they get back to their favorite spots to further clean them out. A friend of mine bought one and we have gone to two places that he used to hunt with his GMT. He came back with a couple more pieces of gold that I walked over with my GMT. The TDI does go deeper and once you get the hang of it you will be saying even less until you also have clean out that "favorite spot".

BTW, they can be had for about $1400 if you know the right people/distributors.

I also have a couple of my pistols going up for sale to finance one of these units so I will be ready for the upcoming season.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

There are two published field tests on the TDI. Andy Sabisch has one in the

October 2008 issue of Lost Treasure magazine. Andy's evaluation is lengthy

and his areas of testing were in South Carolina, around Charleston's

Revolutionary and Civil war areas. Also, the coast at Folley Beach. The Civil

war areas around Marietta Georgia. Also around an old iron mine

The other is by James A. McCulloch who sometimes posts on this forum. It is

published in the November 2008 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures. Jim's

evaluation is also lengthy and is concentrated on the TDI as a gold machine.

The area chosen for the field test may have been mostly within the Mojave

desert in California.

Hi All, ever since the season started I've been seeing people show up with brand new TDI's, so they are definately making their way into the field. Sooner or later I'm hoping to run into somebody that has put enough time in behind one (hunting for gold) and knows how to effectively use it so I can see a side by side comparison. Minelab PI's have been in the field for many years now and are a tough cookie to beat and only time will tell how well the White's TDI measures up to them. :twocents:

Del

Allen or Anybody,

What the hell does TDI stand for? I know, the question might be stupid, but I cannot find an answer anywhere........

Jim

I could not find it's meaning either, Jim...

Allen, you are a dealer and so, are you a user? Come on, I don't think Bill will be offended with the facts...he and I both used the GS5...I am curious, can't speak for Bill....

Fred

Fred,

I called Jimmy "Sierra" Normandi, TDI stands for TIME DOMAIN INSTRUMENT...........

I heard a neat little story in the process, seems that a gentleman who's name starts with the letter "D" was with another gentleman who found a nugget with the TDI and handed it to Mr. "D", who promptly slipped it into his mouth to wash it off. He swallowed it and after some time was able to retrieve and return said nugget. It was nice and shiny and sanitized. Some thought was given that TDI might stand for (Thru "D"s Intestines) D is well known on many detector forums..........

TDI is not any of the following......

Tropical Disease Initiative - Texas Department of Insurance - Tolerable Daily Intake.

"Terribly Delayed Introduction"

Turbocharged Direct Injection

Time Domain Indication , Indicator , or Induction

Jim

I could not find it's meaning either, Jim...

Allen, you are a dealer and so, are you a user? Come on, I don't think Bill will be offended with the facts...he and I both used the GS5...I am curious, can't speak for Bill....

Fred

Yes I'm a dealer, I have played with it a little but not for nuggets. If the TDI had come out before the 4500 that is what I would be using now. There are pros and cons with both units and I think the money factor will be a big issue for those wanting a pi machine. If one goes in and Googles Whites TDI, you will find way more info than I can give on the subject

I also had a call into Todd at White's about what TDI stood for but I see Jim already answered ti.

Allen in MT

"I heard a neat little story in the process, seems that a gentleman who's name starts with the letter "D" was with another gentleman who found a nugget with the TDI and handed it to Mr. "D", who promptly slipped it into his mouth to wash it off. He swallowed it and after some time was able to retrieve and return said nugget. It was nice and shiny and sanitized. Some thought was given that TDI might stand for (Thru "D"s Intestines) D is well known on many detector forums.........."

Cough, Ahem! I have no idea who that might be!

"I heard a neat little story in the process, seems that a gentleman who's name starts with the letter "D" was with another gentleman who found a nugget with the TDI and handed it to Mr. "D", who promptly slipped it into his mouth to wash it off. He swallowed it and after some time was able to retrieve and return said nugget. It was nice and shiny and sanitized. Some thought was given that TDI might stand for (Thru "D"s Intestines) D is well known on many detector forums.........."

Cough, Ahem! I have no idea who that might be!

:;):

Me neither....... :hmmmmmm:

Kinda thought that you might like to give us your version of the story......... That is if you might have any idea's...... :poke: :poke:

I always enjoy and learn something from your informative posts...

Jim

Aloha guys,

Okay, now you have all of us guessing and wondering who it might have been. Why dont you just give us the "inside poop" oops I mean "inside scoop".

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

:;):

Me neither....... :hmmmmmm:

Kinda thought that you might like to give us your version of the story......... That is if you might have any idea's...... :poke: :poke:

I always enjoy and learn something from your informative posts...

Jim

Ahem, well, without naming names, it just so happens that I do have the "inside" poop on this story. It seems that "Mr D" took Jimmy out to test and hunt with the new TDI machine. Jimmys son was there also video taping the trip for an upcoming training video on the machine. Within an hour of hunting, Jimmy dug up this pretty little nugget. He barely had it in his hand when "Mr D" grabbed it and popped it in his mouth to clean it, just as he had done with thousands of nuggets over the last 20 years. Only this time, in his excitment over Jimmy finding his first TDI nugget, he popped it just a little too far into his mouth, hitting the back of his tongue, where it promptly continued to slide down and down to be lost forever. "Mr D" was devastated, particuarily since Jimmy Jr. was taping the whole unfortunate episode! So, to add insult to injury, this whole embarrassing episode will soon be available for the world to witness when the training video becomes available.

As I hear it, "Mr D" soon learned that there is another use for a gold classifier and pan, not to mention a garden hose! And Jimmy, not one to let something as embarrassing as this just fade away, took a picture of the returned nugget and sent it out to all his dealers in one of his flyers! I'll get him for that! Er, I mean, Mr D, will get him for that!

Just to add a bit more information on the TDI, here's some thing I just put up on one of the other forums regarding the TDI, for those of you who don't read all the forums...

Oh contrare! I use my TDI every time I go out nugget hunting. In fact, I use it more than my Minelab these days. It's much easier to use, lighter, and every bit as sensitive. And I can use all of my Minelab loops with it if I get into an area where the gold is deeper. Mainly I use it to prospect a new area, or to do a quick check of a wash or diggings to see if there are any targets. It's very quick to start up and use. Once it's ground balanced and the controls set for an area, it rarely changes. I have not found a ground that it won't balance out, even pure serpentine. I've used it successfully down in Mariposa where the hot ground changes constantly.

I have been using the new 9x5 eleptical loop lately and like it better than the 12' round. That's mainly because the shape lets me get down in the hard to reach tight places under bushes and between rocks. It has about the same sensitivity as the 12" on small nuggets.

Now, as far as depth... Every one knows, or should know, that depth is a relative thing. Many, many variables affect how deep any detector will go. But, if one were to compare say a Minelab 3500 to the TDI with the same size loop, side by side, on an undug and unknown target, I would say you were looking at a difference of about 15%, with the Minelab having the edge. There are things the TDI will do that the Minelab won't, and vice versa. So there is no way to compare them side by side, they are different machines with different capabilities. There advantages and disadvantages to both.

I have not had the opportunity this year to more thoroughly test the differences as I had hoped. The wildfires we had this summer and foot surgery severly curtailed my hunting time. Here is a picture of my last TDI nuggets found over the 4th of July. The larger one is 3 dwt and the smaller ones are half a dwt each. The large one wasn't that deep, only about 6 inches but gave a loud signal. I've dug some very deep trash, but no nuggets yet.

I could go on and on about the features and advantages, but there is information on the other forums that cover that better than I could here. Suffice to say, it's an outstanding machine with capabilites that have yet to be discovered. Minelab is firmly entrenched in the market and no machine is going to bounce them out any time soon. And let me re-iterate what's been said before; This machine was NOT intended to compete head to head with that leader. It fills a niche between that and the VLF's, and does it very well!

Digger Bob

post-413-1226092646_thumb.jpg

Hey Bob, Thanks for givin us the "lowdown". OOPS :laught16: I mean :outtahere: "POOP" on the subject.

I know they could'nt have been talking about YOU :Huh_anim]: cause you're name starts with a "B".

Anyway Thanks for some more insight on the T.D.I. I do appreciate reading all I can find on it as it relates to nugget hunting in the southwest.

And PLEASE post when you have some more to say about it from your experience in the field.

I'd love to get my hands on a T.D.I to try out some day soon.

If I could afford to buy one I'd own one right now.

Hapy Huntn