Nugget Shooter Forums

Fisher Gold Bug II

Hi, I have a question I hope you will be able to answere. I'm going to buy a Gold Bug II. Which Coil is best for meteorite hunting, the 6.5" Elliptical Coil, the 10" or the 14" :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks, jim "bones" Shorten, Tombstone, AZ :coffeetime:

PS: I can't believe that I'm still a Green Horn :angry-smiley-010: You'd think my horn would be turning shades of orange or brown by now, it's Fall :Huh_anim]:

nighthawk,

I think that you would be satisfied with the 10" coil. I have hunted meteorites with several guys that stepped up to the 14" coil and then went back to the 10" on their Gold Bug ll's. About the only advantage you will have with the larger coil, is more ground coverage. The added depth usually is not a big factor in most stony strewnfields. If coverage is what you want, then by all means get the 14". Being able to hip mount the GB ll gives you a much lighter wand and coil. I have a hip mount GMT with both size coils and can swing all day without much arm and shoulder stress. Bottom line, if you can only afford one coil, 10" would be my choice as it can also be used for hunting both small and large gold.

There are quite a few GB ll users on the forum, hopefully several of them will chime in.

:twocents:

Jim

nighthawk,

I think that you would be satisfied with the 10" coil. I have hunted meteorites with several guys that stepped up to the 14" coil and then went back to the 10" on their Gold Bug ll's. About the only advantage you will have with the larger coil, is more ground coverage. The added depth usually is not a big factor in most stony strewnfields. If coverage is what you want, then by all means get the 14". Being able to hip mount the GB ll gives you a much lighter wand and coil. I have a hip mount GMT with both size coils and can swing all day without much arm and shoulder stress. Bottom line, if you can only afford one coil, 10" would be my choice as it can also be used for hunting both small and large gold.

There are quite a few GB ll users on the forum, hopefully several of them will chime in.

:twocents:

Jim

I think Jim is right the 10" would be the best at this point and for what you want. It will also get some very small tiny pieces. I mean small. The next one to buy would thenbe the 6". I have probable found more small gold with the 6" than any other coil, by small I mean sub grain size.

Are you looking at a new detector or a used one?

Allen

You should do well with the 6.5" elliptical coil or 10". Mine will pick up a BB at 8" depth. It has the 10" ellliptical. I once found a hairpin at close to 10" depth. Trick is of course to know what to listen for. It is all in the tones with the Gold Bug. Probably just as important as the coil is to get a good set of earphones. I swung a piece of Allende under the coil. To me, it sounded different than the normal hot rock. I may not have realized that were it not that I had spent quite a few hours swinging it before that. Anyhow, the Gold Bug seems to be a good detector for the price. Never tried a 14" coil.

Mike in CO