Nugget Shooter Forums

NS GOLD Basin outing finds :)

Hi people looks like a nuther outing went and passed was a blast for thous of you that where there was nice weather and fun times. Lets see guessing it's time to post finds so ill post the amount i got and numbers but goda Wait for Del or bill to post my pics thy got em ;p OK lets see i ended up getting 15 that rigth 15 not 14 got a iron last day ill take a pic of it soon let you all see it .. o yea i g ended up with 309 grams .well dell did good few three did well, so post your finds guys

Nate there used a spells check :laught16:

NATE'S FABULOUS FINDS!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Nate easily takes the prize for meteorite hunting at this year's Gold Basin outing. As of Sunday morning when I took these photos, he had found fourteen stones weighing more than 300 grams in 3 days. He really KNOWS his detector as if it was an extension of himself. If I remember correctly, Nate had just found his first meteorites at last year's outing. That means he's gone from losing his cherry to 100 grams a day in the same year! That's going from white-belt student to black-belt sensei, master of the Detector Dojo (when you can walk across this rice paper, and leave no trace...........) Okay, all "Kung Fu" aside, It's a truly impressive accomplishment that has earned my respect. I think his new wheels brought him some luck too!

Ben

PA190005.jpg

PA190004.jpg

PA190002.jpg

PA190003.jpg

ONE MORE THING!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that in the bottom picture, Jim and Del are watching as John B. pulls up with a less-than-pointy finger ( it was slammed in a door, ouch! ). As you can see, it never slowed him down.

Ben

He who gets the most gets the post and you certainly earned the post for the weekend Nate! You scored the most weight that I know of for the weekend in meteorites. You were consistently nailing them throughout the whole weekend and thats enough proof for me that you've learned how to "effectively" use your detector. Funny thing is I remember you telling me your "trying" to keep up with me, but I had to remind you "nope I think it's the other way around!". It just goes to show you the rewards of your hard work and effort will pay off if you stick to it because you've certainly put enough time in the field to earn yourself a run like this.

Here's a close up pic of Nates finds-

Nates-Finds.jpg

Way to go Nate you definately earned these finds!

Del

Now for my favorite find(s). It was also the last meteorite I scored made before I had to go home. I was scoping out spots to stop and detect and a place caught my eye. Went up there and not even five minutes into it and I detected a nice piece. Bending down to get a closer look, a familiar sheen and color from another rock cought my attention. What do you know... looked like I had a fragmented meteorite on my hands! So I started crawling around on my hands and knees looking for every bit that I could find. Ended up with four pieces that fit together-

648-gram-fragmented.jpg

Can anybody identify the four meteorite fragments in this picture?

Here's the close up-

Frags.jpg

Here's my take for the weekend-

Gold-Basin.jpg

12 meteorites total- 3.5g, 4.9g, 5.3g, 5.4g, 10.9g, 11.6g, 11.8g, 19.6g, 20.4g, 27.9g, 54.5g (2 fragments), and 64.6 grams (4 fragments) totaling 240.4 grams

The weather was perfect and the food was great (your chili rocked Fred!), you couldn't ask for a more perfect weekend for an outing. This was only the third time I've hunted Gold Basin and I think I may be getting the hang of it.

Thanks to Bill once again thanks for putting on the outing!

Del

Nate, Del and Ben

Those are some really nice finds and pictures. It is not often that a fellow can enjoy good food, stay up until 1 A.M. 2 nights in a row and spread that much B.S. around the camp area. We had a good crowd both nights at Roger's bar and bordello, the Bordello inspector...(John B.) did not arrive until Sat. evening. There was a beautiful almost full moon, kangaroo rats running around outside Rogers trailer, dodging the B.S. and foraging for crumbs under everyone's chairs, I watched one sizing up Ben's pant leg, thought that we were going to be in for some excitement, :woohoo: but no such luck..... :laught16:

I finally got to do some hunting Sunday on my way out, picked up 4 pieces for a total of 118 grams. By my best estimates from what I was able to observe and add up, it looks like there was right around a 1000 grams of Gold Basin chondrites found across the 3 days. This includes over one hundred grams found by several of the GPAA members from Las Vegas.

Nate and Del never cease to amaze me, you guys are getting good at this game. :hmmmmmm: Del is getting a little Skitzo though, :zapped: with his good run on gold lately, he had to go through some withdrawl before getting back into the swing of hunting meteorites. :;):

Good going guys...........

Jim

All:

First I would like to thank everyone for their generosity on the Gold Basin trip; I had a wonderful time. Also, special thanks to both Del and Ben for helping and encouraging me on the ins and outs of detecting; all of this is so new to me. Congratulations to Nate and Del for all their finds, I think they just know where to look. I finally found one on Sunday :woohoo: , just a few hours before I had to leave, so I was happy not to go home empty handed. It weighed in at 22.7 grams.

I would also like to thanks Roger and everyone else who provide all the food; It was really good.

I think now I just need to get out and do more and I think I’ll begin to learn my machine.

Greg S.

Nate, Del and Ben

Those are some really nice finds and pictures. It is not often that a fellow can enjoy good food, stay up until 1 A.M. 2 nights in a row and spread that much B.S. around the camp area. We had a good crowd both nights at Roger's bar and bordello, the Bordello inspector...(John B.) did not arrive until Sat. evening. There was a beautiful almost full moon, kangaroo rats running around outside Rogers trailer, dodging the B.S. and foraging for crumbs under everyone's chairs, I watched one sizing up Ben's pant leg, thought that we were going to be in for some excitement, :woohoo: but no such luck..... :laught16:

I finally got to do some hunting Sunday on my way out, picked up 4 pieces for a total of 118 grams. By my best estimates from what I was able to observe and add up, it looks like there was right around a 1000 grams of Gold Basin chondrites found across the 3 days. This includes over one hundred grams found by several of the GPAA members from Las Vegas.

Nate and Del never cease to amaze me, you guys are getting good at this game. :hmmmmmm: Del is getting a little Skitzo though, :zapped: with his good run on gold lately, he had to go through some withdrawl before getting back into the swing of hunting meteorites. :;):

Good going guys...........

Jim

Hey Jim as always it was nice to visit and BS with you. Thanks for showing Greg how to tune his GMT as I was also paying attention when you were tuning the knobs. I seem to remember you start at 10-10 then tune down from there to get the most distinct sound out of the target. Now do you start turning down the VSAT knob first or the Gain knob?

Greg- Thanks for coming out; thats a whole different ball game than hunting dry lake beds huh? You keep at it and you'll start popping them out left and right too. Here's the pic I took of you minutes after finding your Gold Basin meteorite-

Gregs-Gold-Basin-Find.jpg

Way to go man!!

Del

Yeah gold basin was definitely hunted out in 2003.... psych!

Del- The lower the gain the louder the sound. gain on like 2 to 3 and vsat on 7 exactly.

you hear like 1000 signals per minute but they are nulled and meteorites are sharp and crisp.

anyways my weekend was good more or less.

IMG_7040.jpg

[Erik]

Yeah gold basin was definitely hunted out in 2003.... psych!

Del- The lower the gain the louder the sound. gain on like 2 to 3 and vsat on 7 exactly.

you hear like 1000 signals per minute but they are nulled and meteorites are sharp and crisp.

anyways my weekend was good more or less.

[Erik]

Hey Erik we discovered for some reason your GMT seems to be a little more sensitive than the others. So your settings will probably be different from every other GMT out there. Maybe thats the reason you find so many darn Chondrites!! :laught16: Greg and your dad did a side by side comparison with the same coils and settings and your's seemed a little more sensitive. Greg thought his GMT was faulty until Jim broke his out and compared... Turns out you have the faulty detector since Jim's sensitivity was exactly the same as Gregs machine. Jim was kind enough to show Greg exactly how to tune it in using a throwdown.

One more thing- happy birthday man! Guess I can't call you a "kid" anymore! :laught16:

Hey Del, what are you hunting Gb's with, your 4000?

Fred

Hi Fred, yeah I was using my GPX-4000 equiped with a 7" x 14" NF Emono coil as suggested by Mr. Smaller. The coil is excellent for lots of ground coverage (essential out at GB) and is sensitive to small chondrites. I'll tell ya this is one heck of a combination, so far the smallest I've picked up was an 1/8th gram GB chondrite with it. Works great!

Del

Nate, I hope I can learn my GM 4B as good as you have learned your machine...

Sorry I missed this outing

best advice i can give you is swing over a test rock or gold tell your ears hurt and thin swing 20 mins more and you should be getting there