Nugget Shooter Forums

Sunday Prospecting class

dave wiseman

Friend(Mike Darby) and son stopped by the house yesterday afternoon with a piece of quartz that sparkled and he thought it might be gold.Turned out to be just mica.He said he ignores the veins if no visible gold is showing on any quartz,so we walked over to my mortar and pestle,crushed and panned his piece and zilch,just mica,zinc and black sand.Told the boy we mighy find a color or two in some of my last samples from last April that my partner Kuger dropped off back then.Took about four handfulls of previously crushed quartz that was perhaps an inch across and crushed it finer.Poured the sample into the hopper pan and had Mike rub and rub,round and round then check the two pans after dipping in the water.Right off they spot a nice quarter inch specie of crystaline gold and a few smaller ones!Had Mike put aside the hopper pan for laterr closer checking and get to work rubbing the finer stuff in the main pan.Lot's of rough colors and fines.Sure was shocked as I know I didn't do a good job back then checking this sample sack.Back to the hopper pan for further scanning and they said nothings there after moving the little pieces of quartz back and forth for a few minutes.Told the boy(Josiah) to crush that down real fine and you''ll find some more gold even though it's not visable on the outside.After 5 minutes of plunging the pestle up and down he emptied the heavy mortar into a pan and Mike panned it slow and wallah,another line of color.....They learned a few tricks and perhaps I did also.The little chunk of crystalline has perhaps a half pennyweight ..........Dave

Friend(Mike Darby) and son stopped by the house yesterday afternoon with a piece of quartz that sparkled and he thought it might be gold.Turned out to be just mica.He said he ignores the veins if no visible gold is showing on any quartz,so we walked over to my mortar and pestle,crushed and panned his piece and zilch,just mica,zinc and black sand.Told the boy we mighy find a color or two in some of my last samples from last April that my partner Kuger dropped off back then.Took about four handfulls of previously crushed quartz that was perhaps an inch across and crushed it finer.Poured the sample into the hopper pan and had Mike rub and rub,round and round then check the two pans after dipping in the water.Right off they spot a nice quarter inch specie of crystaline gold and a few smaller ones!Had Mike put aside the hopper pan for laterr closer checking and get to work rubbing the finer stuff in the main pan.Lot's of rough colors and fines.Sure was shocked as I know I didn't do a good job back then checking this sample sack.Back to the hopper pan for further scanning and they said nothings there after moving the little pieces of quartz back and forth for a few minutes.Told the boy(Josiah) to crush that down real fine and you''ll find some more gold even though it's not visable on the outside.After 5 minutes of plunging the pestle up and down he emptied the heavy mortar into a pan and Mike panned it slow and wallah,another line of color.....They learned a few tricks and perhaps I did also.The little chunk of crystalline has perhaps a half pennyweight ..........Dave

Hah!!!Wheres my cut!!? :laught16: J/k.And you used to give Chris and Guy a bad time about missing gold!!Never get discouraged......isnt that what you taught me?As if it matters,what vein was that out of??I think I know.Just rubs salt in the wound that there is a pocket there.Mike bought the concentrates I had left,I hope he is happy with them,wrong time of season.I usually have all kinds held over to work in the winter but worked through them this year(go figure)I will load him up next year.Hey check the other site...the lake thread if you havent already,that fellow we met at the diner posted.

Kuger,seeing that on some forums people call you kruger,as in Krugerand I don't think you need that yellow :laught16: .....just gave Mike and his boy the last bit of fines and let the boy have some tiny quartz species off the bigger one.Gave them the last of my quartz gols which only held some specks in each and some flakes and fines from years ago.Good to see the boy's reaction to that.A few bucks of gold won't make/break me as they say........Those chaps been ripping us good,can't respect another's diggings.......and yes this crystaline piece must be from the midnight run you and Cole made at that vein...funny thing is I've a pan full of that rock here and if I crush it perhaps not a color,seen that before....but will wait for you to stop finding those tongue and wreath buckles.The better stuff is still in the pan and the specie Ill keep on my person for your inspection....basically you can have it :bowdown: I like that bigger stuff anyway :ROFL: ..come over for a spell/or the coffee shop.......Dave(who must concentrate more)and not be in a hurry.

Ha!Ha!I know its not your eyes,you were just getting discouraged with that rock.Thats how that lead has been in and out.And that clay ARRRRRRR!I am glad you gave the boy that gold,I know what it does to ya....its a win win.I would like to see that specie but you are more than welcome to it,I still have all those fines too.Kudos to you, you know you are a heck of a teacher remember the first time you took me out???Found gold!!Oh yea I dont know why people throw an "R",in KUGER.It doesnt matter to anyone but I got that name when I ran lions for the GOV. No buckles for me either...got out once and Cole found a wreath