Nugget Shooter Forums

Northern Nev. hunting ..... BEWARE

AZ4AU

All I can say is I grew up in that area and to say its a drug cartel myself I would say without proof is a bunch of crap but thats my opinion. I remember going out with my parents as we did about every weekend exploring so to say and comming upon a pot field and no one around,there was a little shack so my dad and a friend went inside to see what was in the shack,wasnt much there but when they looked in the little closet there was a california highway patrol uniform in it and my dad worked with search and rescue and knew the name on the uniform and the person that owned it nothing was ever said to the patrolman as far as I know,guess he was just supplementing his income back then pot wasnt a big deal really. Its been going on out there for years. I dont think the mexican gang crap thats come into this country should be overlooked tho since the prison came to Lovelock there have been some very lets just say different types in the area, So If you go out Let someone know the area you are going to be in and a time to expect you back and try not to go alone, and never go out without atleast one good gun that packs some power. I take a sidearm and a rifle that if I need to run quick out of an area and someone follows I can turn around and say hello...Better safe than sorry

Mike

Drug Cartel using our public land is not a bunch of crap. The politically correct media just didn't want to print three Hispanics held the BLM guys at gunpoint. It's no secret that Mexican Drug Cartels are using our public lands in every part of our country for illegal drug activities and using Mexican illegal aliens as labor in these operations. It eliminates their increasing problems in smuggling it across the border and very large loads worth a lot of money getting busted.

Below is the safety warning on the US Forest Service website. I don't know when they actually put it on their site, but I believe I first saw it there in 2005.

"Visitor Safety

When visiting our National Forests and Grasslands remember to always be aware, alert and cautious. Some visitors have different agendas besides relaxation, exploration and recreation. These agendas may include drug production, theft, arson, and other illegal acts. Avoiding these areas if discovered is the safest course of action. Report sightings to local law enforcement personnel only after you have relocated to a safe area.

Illegal border crossers have been suspected of running drugs, injuring government employees and causing major wildfires. Besides carrying ammunition and guns, they also can carry tents, propane cylinders and other flammable agents. Improperly used these items can be sources of ignition causing forest fires. These illegal inhabitants can become dangerous if they feel threatened and should be avoided.

Marijuana plots and methamphetamine labs have become frequent sites in our forests. Those responsible for these illegal plots or labs are dangerous and should be avoided. If visitors inadvertently come upon these sites they should immediately depart the area and report the sighting to law enforcement officers. The chemicals used to grow or produce these illegal products can be highly combustible and pose considerable risk to hazards caused by fire and explosion."

Here's the URL to the page it is on: http://www.fs.fed.us/safety/visitor.shtml

Here is the Forest Service webpage about their Drug Control Program: http://www.fs.fed.us/lei/drug%20control_words.html

A current news story about it that I just read: Mexican pot cartels sully U.S. forests, parks

Good post FrogMick!

Everyone needs to pay attention!

It gets tiresome to get negative replies to posts, some people think they know it all and are critical of anything or opinions of others, even some moderators of forums.

I just Un-Joined a forum for that very reason, negative replies! I don't post anything I do not think is true ( and have the pictures) and I beleive most people are the same but some just try to create hate & desention & I always tell them "Yes I know I can't spell but I don't waste my time worrying about it , guess I am getting like my good friend Russ Ford, "Screw all the negative posters, I was looking for something else to do anyway!

Keep up your excellent postings!

Drug Cartel using our public land is not a bunch of crap. The politically correct media just didn't want to print three Hispanics held the BLM guys at gunpoint. It's no secret that Mexican Drug Cartels are using our public lands in every part of our country for illegal drug activities and using Mexican illegal aliens as labor in these operations. It eliminates their increasing problems in smuggling it across the border and very large loads worth a lot of money getting busted.

Below is the safety warning on the US Forest Service website. I don't know when they actually put it on their site, but I believe I first saw it there in 2005.

"Visitor Safety

When visiting our National Forests and Grasslands remember to always be aware, alert and cautious. Some visitors have different agendas besides relaxation, exploration and recreation. These agendas may include drug production, theft, arson, and other illegal acts. Avoiding these areas if discovered is the safest course of action. Report sightings to local law enforcement personnel only after you have relocated to a safe area.

Illegal border crossers have been suspected of running drugs, injuring government employees and causing major wildfires. Besides carrying ammunition and guns, they also can carry tents, propane cylinders and other flammable agents. Improperly used these items can be sources of ignition causing forest fires. These illegal inhabitants can become dangerous if they feel threatened and should be avoided.

Marijuana plots and methamphetamine labs have become frequent sites in our forests. Those responsible for these illegal plots or labs are dangerous and should be avoided. If visitors inadvertently come upon these sites they should immediately depart the area and report the sighting to law enforcement officers. The chemicals used to grow or produce these illegal products can be highly combustible and pose considerable risk to hazards caused by fire and explosion."

Here's the URL to the page it is on: http://www.fs.fed.us/safety/visitor.shtml

Here is the Forest Service webpage about their Drug Control Program: http://www.fs.fed.us/lei/drug%20control_words.html

A current news story about it that I just read: Mexican pot cartels sully U.S. forests, parks

My hunting buddy and I came across a patch too while hunting in a remote area. We were armed with hunting rifles but it sure made me nervous to know that the "farmers" could be anywhere and that their crosshairs could be on us already...

Thanks Max. There are some areas of the wilderness it really is not safe any more. About 20 years ago I stumbled onto a pot patch in the mountains of Idaho. I was just packing a Ruger Black Hawk 45 (long colt) 6 shooter and had maybe 12 extra rounds in my pocket. Just like kamikaze, I was wondering if I was in somebody's rifle sites. I eased on out of that area as quietly and as quickly as I could. I reported it to a sheriff's deputy I saw in the new area I was camping in the next day about 20 miles from where the pot was.

"Why not caution everyone to be careful in the city." Because there are hours of TV news and lots of printed news every day about crime in populated areas. Everyone is being cautioned there and everyone knows about it. There is very little news about crime in unpopulated areas like our public land and few people are aware of it. That is why it is being discussed here.

Why not caution everyone to be careful in the city. Guns and Drugs are all around you there, but few people seem concerned as long as they are in their own element. Well the Wilderness is my own element and I seldom think about snakes, lions, drug cartels or any other possible small chance dangers. At least now days we don't have to worry about hostile indian tribes out there. We have cell phones and 911. The settlers didn't even have that. If they got bucked off their mount in the middle of nowhere they just delt with it the best they could. I choose to focus on the more important things like serenity, gold, quietness and being alone. It is a waste of worry and thought in my opinion to anticipate something bad happening to you out there. That would be like waking up on any given morning and anticipating something bad happening to you today, especially if you account for all the possibilities and hazards. Even the biologist are OK after their runin with the cartel, so what is the big concern.

FrogMick,

Good post.

I totally agree with it. This is not some b.s. being made to look dramatic, it is real.

I have heard stories like this from a number of sources that I consider reliable.

It is much more wide-spread than lots of us may know.

Even many of the enforcement agancies find these guys intimidating.

As far as guns being toted in cities, here in L.A. it is a problem that has been with us for years.

The danger is mostly from younger kids, most in gangs, that carry .22's and seem to have a penchant

for using them indescriminately.

I don't carry a gun, because I know I would use it if I had to and would rather

not be faced with the possibility. But that view is changing.

Flak

Sorry guys wasnt trying to be neggative sorry it was taken that way...Just meant I know a few US citizens that have grown Pot farms . Once again sorry it was taken the wrong way

As I type this I'm sitting in a patrol car with a 8 shot pistol grip 12 ga. next to me on the passenger seat. It's easy to shoot from inside the car. If it's not safe for me sitting in a police car in a nice middle class area how safe do you think you are. Things are turning to sh*t real fast and will get worse. There are people out there that will kill you for your shoes let alone a ton of weed.

Luckily, most of the northern Nevada hunting areas are in places that are very dry, no water at all, and no cover for the drug cartel theives to hide in. The BLM guys are luckly that the druggies didnt kill them right then and there.

Chris

According to local news items I read while up north regarding Siskiyou and Trinity County major pot busts, it is the Mexican Mafia (a prison gang) that most often is responsible for large scale pot cultivation in California. The 'workers' (ie, those who tend to the day to day needs of the plants) are provided with sophisticated fake IDs, regular food and replenishment runs, equipment and transportation. Of course, no single gang or group has a monopoly on the trade. Anecdotally, I can attest that Jill and I, while dredging in September, were situated directly beneath the flight paths of scores of choppers that were hauling 'product' for several days during a major bust. Later, the media reported that approximately 800,000 plants had been seized at an average weight of between 8 and 10 pounds each. This is a BIG BUSINESS folks. It blows my mind whenever a dredger or sniper is cited for some minor perceived infraction while miles and miles of illegal PVC irrigation pipe is being laid and gallons of fertilizers and insecticides are being sprayed not very far away in the same forest. Who sets these priorities?

The bottom line is law inforcement is afraid of these guys!!They bust numerous "crops",in this area every year and never never make any arrests,I think they arrested one poor guy last year that fled the patch after they raided it the day before and was lost(he actually turned himself in!!)There was an article in the local paper yesterday about the sites that they have these patches and how they are basically hazardous waste areas and the hundreds of gallons of toxic fertilizers they dump into the streams.Yea where are the enviros on that stuff??They Cartels are known to have "gardners that live with the crops promising them a cut at harvest but at harvest they kill them!When you are talking about several million dollars,that is more than some ones nest egg and they are willing to protect it at all expense.When I was trapping for the Government they sent us to an Awarness class that showed the "booby traps",that were used.......let me tell you SCARY,those that didnt kill you took you out at the knees and made you wish you were dead,and I personally found a couple of those.Its not a joke

I haven't heard of any missing ranch hands riding and checking cows on their grazing permits nor any loggers, fish cops or hunters. Just what the heck are these guys catching in their booby traps? Must be catching Bigfoot or Space Aliens, because they are still missing and can't be found by any repitable human being out there. I think the rumors and propaganda is what they want, as long as you are fearful of them, then they are in control of you. Truth be known they are the ones that are scared. :WOW:

Earl

They busted two big pot operations on National Forest here this

summer. Both were booby trapped and it was all Mexican nationals that

were running both. Loggers work on timber sales ,and pot growers don't

grow pot on a active sale. You can find any active or proposed timber

sale ,because they are public record.

Ranchers,fish cops,and Forest Service people know what to look

for and avoid getting into a confrontation. One of the above pot operations

was spotted by a rancher,the other by a wild life officer.

There is no hunting seasons during the grow season,except the early bow

hunt. Most bow hunters are pretty crafty too.

There is several hikers and tourist that has disappeared around here.

Sometimes they find a burned vehicle with a body or two down on the

monument. Or find a missing hikers body miles from where he was supposed

to be. For some reason hikers like to fall off a cliff. :laught16:

Now if you want to see lots of pot just go to a wilderness area,monument,

or national park. Most is planted by your typical radical enviro types .

I know lots of hard core enviro's ,never met one that didn't puff a little

pot. The Forest Service and BLM crews don't get off of the main trail system.

Most of the real day hikers stick to the main trails too. That leaves millions

of acres of ground where no one goes except the outlaws.

Nah,Sawmill Earl sees all knows all!They are fearful good citizens that have no worries or interest in protecting there million dollar crops,they wouldnt dream of planting any kind of device that might possibly harm anyone that stumbled onto there garden!!! :innocent0009:Oh yea and there is a difference between being scared and informed

sawmill

I know it happens and is out there, I am not disputing that. I was only trying to put the risk in the right perspective. It seems these tales of peril have more impact on peoples minds then their physical well being. Over cautioning others is a good way to control them with fear. Those that know nothing doubt nothing, so they assume the worst and that it is going to happen to them, if they leave the highway or town. I believe fear is a lack of faith and experience . If something does happen to you, then it is just meant to be. Don't let outlaws keep you from hunting, fishing, gold hunting or any other pursuit. I just don't let bandits or outlaws rent space in my head like others do. :twocents:

:laught16: :laught16:

sawmill

I know it happens and is out there, I am not disputing that. I was only trying to put the risk in the right perspective. It seems these tales of peril have more impact on peoples minds then their physical well being. Over cautioning others is a good way to control them with fear. Those that know nothing doubt nothing, so they assume the worst and that it is going to happen to them, if they leave the highway or town. I believe fear is a lack of faith and experience . If something does happen to you, then it is just meant to be. Don't let outlaws keep you from hunting, fishing, gold hunting or any other pursuit. I just don't let bandits or outlaws rent space in my head like others do. :twocents:

Earl

It happens a lot these days. The Forest Service,BLM,and Park Service

all issue warnings with every permit here,and all the places have warning

signs. Times have really changed,and it is pathetic when those creeps take

over public land.

Those guys have done their home work and know just where to go so they

don't run into too many people. They have figured out how the forest service

and others operate too.

Because it is so remote and rough ,the place I live in has been a major drug

route,and drop area for years. When you see airplanes flying just above the

sage brush in the canyons at dusk and dawn without lights its a pretty good

tip off. :laught16:

One of the big pot busts just happened to be on a little creek that I have

been wanting to pan for color. I kept putting it off for a year,darn near went

a time or two. It is in a rough area and you have to walk in. The morning I

finally decided to go they had a road block set up on the turn off because of

the drug bust. :grrr01:

I don't let those A holes bother me . But some city guy out on a hike might

run into a problem.

It is kinda funny that a geezer like me knows every drug dealer and addict

in town,and so does everyone else,but the cops don't have a clue. They have

their regulars that they gather up and shake down,mostly small timers or old

burned out hippies. But for some reason they just can't find the real bad apples.

That may be why the pot farmers are so bold. :ROFL:

Well put Sawmill,maybe someday I will work up the courage to go out and face the rattlesnakes and pot growers!!! :ph34r2:

Kuger

I'm afraid you are SOL, if your nuts haven't dropped yet then they probably aren't gunna. You best be packin' a pair to deal with the slings and arrows of life. :laught16: