Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fredmason

map of holbrook strewn field???

Hello Fred,

Although a fairly "naive" question, I would be glad to help you when I get back in the country and have access to my research and resources. Glad to share my maps and data. Don't know if I will be helpful but will for sure share what I have including photos.

Thanks again, guys...

Relicman; I hope my Glorietta post did not offend...in some ways these forums are open, helpful and educational. However, sometimes folks are a bit short to newcomers but they do offer help in their own way...one thing is generally certain; if the space rocks are worth much you won't be getting any kind of guided tour...unless you know someone. Strewn fields are like nugget patches, hard to find and once depleted the rocks don't grow back...

You are welcome in my camp anytime...but then, I don't have any patches to protect, ha, ha...

Fred

Hi Fred,

You rock! It is not easy to find one that is complete. You done good! Those are very nice. And the rounded one, kinda looks like possible flow lines on the front with some secondary fusion crust on the back. Yeah, very nicely done. And thank you for sharing the photos of the cleaned stones.

Best Regards, Ben

I just spent 2 days walking the field and found nothing. I think the 50 person 99th crowd put a serious dent in what is left.

No doubt the crowd cleaned-up, but after every rain/wind strom there will be more exposed, especially the little ones that look like rabbit do-do...

you really had to dig to find this old post!

fred

It has rained several times since the big trip. This is one of the only hits for a holbrook search. I had a hard time with the blowout areas, my detector wouldn't settle down, the salt areas were the worst.

(bounty hunter time ranger) I made an effort to sweep the grass patches, zig zaged the entire length of the strewn, north and south of the tracks. Two full days and one freezing night. Disappointed I got skunked. It was my best effort. I don't think I will ever return.

That will leave more for the rest of us! :P

Jim

Sorry to hear you got skunked at Holbrook, especially since it sounds like you hit the place really hard. There's still plenty of meteorites to find out there though. Next time try putting the detector down and hunting visually. The ground is nearly impossible to tune out and the meteorites will barely set your detector off

I just spent 2 days walking the field and found nothing. I think the 50 person 99th crowd put a serious dent in what is left.

If you really think about this, not many meteorites were found collectively during the 99th. While many people did not skunk, they did not find a lot.

Ruben and I went back there prior to the Colorado show. We found 14 in about a 4 hour hunt.

I've never heard of your detector model being used for meteorites. Have you ever found a chondrite with that detector or tested it with a throwdown????? What Del said was right on.

Jim

Hey Con; you gave it a good try but used the wrong tool for the job...there is so much stray metal along the tracks and wind blown away from the tracks, not to mention the ballast used on the tracks that make for many non-meteorite signals...too much, too much!

However, others have had some success but they were probably away from most trashy areas and using a better suited detector for the job.

I will go back next time I have to go to Payson with my wife...but it is too far for a casual trip from my area...

Del and others have refined their skills for that type of hunting so they are the ones to learn from...

never give up

fred

I greatly appreciate the advice from everyone. Although new to hunting meteorites, I am not the typical newbie that makes no effort. I have spent many hours this summer researching what I am looking for and how to tell the difference, thanks to some of the great articles and websites. I keep a photo database of every catalogued fall in the state along with every scrap of info I can find. I review them and every wrong I can find, often. I am embarrassed to learn that holbrooks can't be detected, that didn't show up anywhere and I assumed by the pic's of the rusting and being able to be picked up with a mag, that would be good enough. It may help someone else to be in this post, thanks. I don't know the minimum iron % to drop below detection threshold, guess that would depend on soil conditions.

I like my detector and it has served me well. I don't have a throwdown because my only find to date is a Diablo iron. Although I primarily used my detector on the grass clumps and when the sun angle was bad, this was less than half of my search time. I have a good mag cane and never stopped using it or maintaining a good visual scan. I walked slow and collected everything that stuck to the mag, even though I can clearly see it is wrong, I always keep and remove trash to help the next guy.

I really gave this one a good effort and I'm dis-appointed with zero for 16 hours of walking, just wanted one.

Thanks jim, for rubbing salt in the wound with the 14 in 4 hours, proof they are still there and safe from me.

I'm going to give wilcox playa a shot around end of month. my expectation is much lower there, so it won't torque me to come up zero. I haven't given up, just don't like to loose that bad with the results compared to most others. I spent a day at cat mountain in feb, that zero didn't bother me, I plan to hit that again end of month too.

Thanks for the imput guys, I'm not fishing for a pep talk or crying, just suprised by my result.

Coming up zero in the meteorite hunting world is not uncommon. In fact, it is common place, so do not be too hard on yourself over that.

I have a really good suggestion here and that is get yourself a Chondrite for a throw-down. You might find your detector will not work at all on chondrites. As best I know, it doesn't.

Cheers!

Jim

I will do that. I see the holbrooks contain aprox 2 % iron, I would have to guess what would work, 5%, 10%. Can you recommend a less expensive known type and size best suited for this purpose?

I do hope you know the salt/wound thing was in good humor, I respect all you guys and your knowledge greatly. You have a great website too. That sounded a little kiss up, but I really do mean it.

I never considered my detector would have a problem with any Chondrite, but I really value your advice and will follow it, was hoping to find one instead of buy one, but I need to know I'm not wasting my time, I have throw-downs for everything else I search for and trash examples. Thanks Jim.

I will do that. I see the holbrooks contain aprox 2 % iron, I would have to guess what would work, 5%, 10%. Can you recommend a less expensive known type and size best suited for this purpose?

I do hope you know the salt/wound thing was in good humor, I respect all you guys and your knowledge greatly. You have a great website too. That sounded a little kiss up, but I really do mean it.

I never considered my detector would have a problem with any Chondrite, but I really value your advice and will follow it, was hoping to find one instead of buy one, but I need to know I'm not wasting my time, I have throw-downs for everything else I search for and trash examples. Thanks Jim.

Email me off list when you get the opportunity jimwooddell at gmail dot com

I know people that have used $3000 detectors at Holbrook and had a terrible time. Bounty Hunter detectors are NOT used to hunt meteorites. They typically will NOT detect a chondrite. Does your model have manual ground balance or is it automatic? If it is automatic, you are hosed. If it has manual ground balance it may not work well due to frequency of operation.

Jim

Just a small aside...most coin hunting detectors have a minimum amount of discrimination that even when the detector is set in "all-metal" there is iron tuned out...this is sometimes why that type of detector will not detect low iron chrondrites...the original GS5 would not detect many gold basin meteorites of fair size...so it is with many vlf machines...

fred

Just so you know. One hunter started out with a Bounty Hunter 3300 and found his first 40 gram at Franconia. This lead to over 8,000 grams in the field. Yes he graduated to the Gold Bug II but we both found Meteorites with Bounty Hunter products. Yes the machines will not find 7 grams. But will find 40 gram plus specimens in the Gold Basin and Franconia fields. Not the best choice but will work. I have won several events with the 3300 machine from Bounty Hunter in Club Events and do not under estimate the value of these machines. Its all in the learning curve with your machine and the time you spend with your throw down. Buy tthe way Holbrook is the exception as the soil is non forgiving. :D

Wayne

Hi Wayne!

I do not doubt what you say for a second, but I doubt you would do anything close to that today, certainly not with the Bounty Hunter.

Hunting Franconia is nothing like it was in the early 2000's. By the quantities of meteorites found between 2000 and 2006 compared to between 2009 and current is vastly different. Going into the field today, with something less than recommended, is simply going to cost a lot of wasted time.

My first detector, when I moved to AZ, was a Bounty Hunter. At that time, I was not hunting meteorites. In fact some time in the late 90's my hunting buddy back then, Dan Warner, told me about the meteorites found North of I-40. I am not sure if he was talking about Gold Basin or Franconia and asked if I wanted to go there and hunt. At that time I had no interest in meteorites. Had I been, I am sure I'd have thousands of them.

That said, who finally got you to go to a GBII??? That would make for a great story!

I would love to read about some of your adventures there....seems we never hear much about these areas from anyone any more.

Kind Regards and good to hear from you!

Jim

Hi Jim

I had my partner tuned into the Pin Point mode when he found his first. This is the most powerful mode of operation with the 25 or more machines that will do this from Bounty Hunter. The only problem is the changing ground balance. This is not easy in the field and with this said, Mike Miller offered a better solution with the GB II. I have used this machine and found it to be one of the best in the field without trying the Lab 2200 which was very poor on surface finds at the time. The Lab was very poor on surface finds to 30 plus grams or it was the operators. Never got a chance to tell. More machines were coming on line. I have been very happy with my V/Sat as I can find 5 to 7 gram specimens when picking up the pieces of a broken fall with all the best. We have recovered many specimes from major splashes on hard rock. I guess the only thing I wanted to say is that I found my first Meteorite with the Bounty Hunter and have much respect for the machines. I also have a GM-II which is as good as the V/sat. The Whites GMT is a very popular machine in the field and Jim Smaller was the pro at finding a Beeper that was perfect. I guess Its all up the the hunter and digging the target at what depth. Just so you and yours know the 555 gram specimen I found in Gold Basin was next to a can on the way back to the car in Gold Basin. It was raining and I marked the site to dig the next can. Well guess what Wow what a find. :D

Best Regards

Wayne

Best Regards

Wayne

Just so you and yours know the 555 gram specimen I found in Gold Basin was next to a can on the way back to the car in Gold Basin. It was raining and I marked the site to dig the next can. Well guess what Wow what a find. :D

Best Regards

Wayne

Best Regards

Wayne

Hi Wayne!

There are many stories I have heard about meteorite finds on the way back to a vehicle. While I have not found any whoppers like yours, I have made some good finds on the way back in. What is interesting is at the time, I was not trying as hard as I was earlier to find anything. Typically pooped with sore feet and just want to get back to the truck. Maybe there is something to that!

Jim

I used to have a map I found online, but it got lost when my computer crashed a few months ago. You might try this for starters:

http://www.delange.o...lbrook/HMF1.htm and also:

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2008/march/Rubens_Hunting_Grounds.htm

Do a browser search for "holbrook strewnfield map", or use strewn field, and you should come up with lots of info. that's what I'm doing trying to find the map I used to have.