Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fredmason

map of holbrook strewn field???

Would any of you fine folks know of such an item? My wife has two sisters in Payson and wants to visit them. Holbrook appears to be about two hours from there and I would much rather wander those fields than visit with her relatives...

Mr Meteorite I took the liberty of recording the coordinates you put in the video...thank you very much.

If we go it will be at Thanksgiving so I expect cold...what about snow?

thanks

fred

Well, it is hard to believe that no one has any info to offer but that is ok...it is a small area with several web-sites showing the general location...all I need is luck...

Fred

Hi Fred

I can tell you what I know and what a freind of mine who lives in Holbrook has determined to be the known strewnfield :hmmmmmm: . Unfortunatly in 1912 no one gave a hoot about strewnfield data :grrr01: . A price of a couple cents a gram was offered and the town went crazy gathering up cash :Huh_anim]: . He's also talked to and knows the finder of the Adamana (Bob Haags venus stone) stone :woohoo: . Now that's a truely amazing piece :bowdown: :bowdown: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Would any of you fine folks know of such an item? My wife has two sisters in Payson and wants to visit them. Holbrook appears to be about two hours from there and I would much rather wander those fields than visit with her relatives...

Mr Meteorite I took the liberty of recording the coordinates you put in the video...thank you very much.

If we go it will be at Thanksgiving so I expect cold...what about snow?

thanks

fred

Could be snow but most likely cold wind.

Bunk

My thanks to Ben, Jim and Mr B for their adsice and assistance. I appreciate the help!

Thanks Bunk, I am hoping for dry weather, I don't mind the wind and cold.

Fred

Hi guys; i am hooked up with web service, wireless router thingy, a new hd tv, cable package and a borrowed laptop...it would have been easier to keep working...

Anyway, I am heading to Holbrook on Sunday, Mother's day....I will be driving from Payson if anyone has a good route from there to the rabbit turd strewn field...

wish i could still see like Eric-the Eagle-eye Man thing.

thanks for the directions, Ben!

Fred

Hi Fred,

Just remember to keep the sun at your back in the early morning and late afternoon. That will help out sight-wise. Also, a beautiful black Holbrook is usually only black, after soap and water, or at least spit, so look for "gray" stones. There will be cinders from the rail bed, and chunks of charcoal - the cinders are mildly magnetic but, are slaggy-looking, and they both are black but, will crush in your hand. The new bunny turds are green and the slightly aged ones are tan but, the old ones have gone black and will draw you to them just to see if they'll stick to your magnet. If you're in doubt, the "taste test" doesn't lie. Nothing tastes like a meteorite!

Good Hunting, Ben

post-3800-1241539523_thumb.jpgpost-3800-1241539455_thumb.jpg Fred I am posting a pic. of a 34.5 Gramer that I found a couple yrs. back. This is what a Holbrook might look like. Good luck. Silver Dog

Guest bedrock bob
Hi Fred,

Just remember to keep the sun at your back in the early morning and late afternoon. That will help out sight-wise. Also, a beautiful black Holbrook is usually only black, after soap and water, or at least spit, so look for "gray" stones. There will be cinders from the rail bed, and chunks of charcoal - the cinders are mildly magnetic but, are slaggy-looking, and they both are black but, will crush in your hand. The new bunny turds are green and the slightly aged ones are tan but, the old ones have gone black and will draw you to them just to see if they'll stick to your magnet. If you're in doubt, the "taste test" doesn't lie. Nothing tastes like a meteorite!

Good Hunting, Ben

Ben,

I did not notice the difference in taste, but there was a definite texture to the turds. The genuine meteorites will stay crisp in milk a lot longer, and wont leave those green stains on the dental work. I have found that this is the best definitive test for the Holbrooks.

Bob,how many did you eat to figure that out???

Very nice piece Doug!!! thanks

Ben, or anyone else...it appears to me that 87 north to 40 would be an easier drive...would that be correct?

thanks

fred

Guest bedrock bob
Bob,how many did you eat to figure that out???

Only a few handfulls for each meteorite. I realized that if I magnetized the spoon the meteorites would stick and seperate the good material from the turds. I didnt chip a tooth at all after that improvement!

Bob,

Nice technique, it's all about the chewy/crunchy thing.

Fred,

Yes, that chunk of Rte. 87 North to 40 is the shortest way there from Payson. It's an interesting and scenic road, too. It's a decent drive now. I don't recommend that way in winter.

Ben

Well; that was a real adventure...about 150 miles to and 150 back from where we were near Payson. It is a lovely drive...from the top of the hill straight to Winslow the tractor must have been stuck, hardly even a curve in that road...I drove down to the big rr crossing gate, which was tied shut so I walked over the tracks to see the lay of the land...mud flats and dunes for ever...so, I walked out south a bit, wandered to the west, wandered to the south, crossed over my self, touched what few rocks that were exposed...wandered over to the dunes and ...what did I see but this little tiny finger nail sized piece of (hopefully) Holbrook meterorite staring back at me...the right color, the right texture and attracted to my magnet...after lunch I went out south and east and found some bits of pottery, one of the many amrbles I have lost over the years and some pretty rocks..

(.then I tested Rubens gps location...which is north of the tracks a 1/4 mile and about the same east of the one lone house down that way...yes or no Mr Meteorite)...

While on that quest I did the Ninninger thing and may have a couple of micro-holbrooks also...I was beat, tired and sore after more than eight miles of wandering and wondering Holbrook...a nice place to visit...

I would post a picture but haven't got that part geeked up yet...

Fred

well I have this new computer so I will try to post the pic's from that adventure...if it works I believe there is one bonifide holbrook...you tell me ...if you can decern from the photo that is...

too big...maybe next time...

btw I will be at Holbrook the 2nd or 3rd of this july...if anyone is interested...

fred

finally got it to work...sorry if this bores anyone...someday I may be a better geek...I say this with awe and respect for those that comprehend computer stuff...

fred

post-378-1245372159_thumb.jpg

HEY MR. FRED How you doin in retirementland, ? it looks like you are keeping busy, didnt you come across any LARGE pieces at Holbrook ???

When you commin back out my way ??? Dont tell me in the fall for the nuggetshooter outing. :laught16:

Hi Frank; retirement is good...getting geeked up was quite a hair-puller for this calcified brain...but I won the first three rounds...and the small battle of posting a pic...I won't be that way until the fall....I hope we can get together then.

I still have to find a decent Gb nugget...I am to stuborn/stupid to quit!

Hope you are well

Fred

someone had a mighty big thirst!

post-378-1245453728_thumb.jpg

Fred,

(Thirst) and probably a couple pretty good hangovers.......

That is exactly what I thought when I first spotted those bottles, they were just barely sticking up thru the sand at that time.

Jim

Fred , remember my buddy Scott, he came across 2 nice nuggies at the Basin about 8 weeks ago. He definately worked for them.

And now the story can end on a positive note...July 2, 2009 I spent the morning back at Holbrook wandering to and fro over all the earth...or so it seemed to my feet. Rather than relating the whole adventure I will cut to the sex, nudity and violence...just kidding...

After many hours and miles I went to the spot of my previous "holbrook' and extended the search from there...I walked, I scanned the ground, I went round and round...finally i came to a mud flat with aching back and tired feet.

I often talk to myself, so I can enjoy intelligent converse while alone...anyway; I say I am tired of walking and having just entered into my second childhood...maybe if I crawl the Guardians of Holbrooks will relent. So down to my hands and knees I went...it is a better view for the aging vision of mine...and what appears but a little gift from above...and a while later a another...

By then the storm was closing in...thunder, wind and lightning all about and into my car as the downpour hit my windshield...

a very nice time was had by all...

Fred

Dang, I didnt get a good pic and only of the first...oh, well...it is the thrill of the hunt that matters most...

post-378-1248105896_thumb.jpg

post-378-1248105952_thumb.jpg

Hi Fred,

Congrats on breaking your Holbrook cherry. If getting down close to the ground makes them easier to see, why not, it works. Nice stones but, I expect you to post a better picture after cleanup, and don't forget the weights. Nice going Fred!

Congrats, Ben

oooh look at it sticking out! nice one! Must have been burried several inches.

[Erik]

Fred, Man Nice Holbrooks, Yea, I was kind of suprised that as many that fell, their not all that ease to find, bigger ones anyway. I finally made it out there on June 28, 09 with my friends Dan and Marty from Flagstaff, and had a good Hot day and few finds, but more on that later. Anyway, Great finds Man!! Good Hunting!! , Clifton

Thanks guys...unfortunately, I cannot allow you to think I found a whopper...the weights were 0.4 grams,1.7 grams, and 1.9 grams...i was happy to find any and especially happy for the rectangular one as it is complete the best of the bunch...here they are to a centimeter scale...

post-378-1248710755_thumb.jpg

post-378-1248710772_thumb.jpg

Those are exceptional finds because Holbrooks aren't easy to find and when one does find them, they are very small.

Congrats again.

Happy Hunting.

[Erik]