Nugget Shooter Forums

Rattlers' Attacking Continued

Uncle Ron

Yo All...We relocated Mahina to the other side of our property on the lawn to get her away from the rattlers...She was fine for two nights, but tonight, just after dark we heard her "rattler bark", went out and darn if there wasn't a 3 + foot coontail right in the lawn...Mahina was doing a good job of letting us know and staying out of strike distance...This one, though, got it...We've never had this kind of onslaught of rattlers that we've had in the past week...They seem to be everywhere... I'm working hard to keep my rattler karma intact, but they are pushing my buttons now...Cheers, Unc

post-9-1223269897_thumb.jpg

Uncle Ron... I don't like to kill things for no reason myself bud. However at this point you shouldn't have any guilt taking them out. What if the next on is on your door step and gets stepped on? I'm not saying go irradicate them but I'd definately kill any that came next to the house. Sorry bout your problem but as you know it's actually working out pretty well. No injuries!

Hi Ron, I've been following your other thread on this. Pretty scary man!! I love the snakes but this is getting out of hand, especially when your safetly has been compromised.

I think at this point it might be a very good idea to call your local animal control about this. I'm sure they have the means, the proper tools and trained people to handle situations like this. Another thing you might want to think about is contacting the owner of your next door neighbors house and demand he remove the trash that has been burried by his previous tendant since it sounds like this is what is attracting the snakes. :twocents:

It's kind of ridiculous the previous tendant rented a front loader to bury his trash when it probably would have been cheaper to haul everything to the dump in the first place. Just another example of a lazy piece of crap who doesn't care about anybody but himself (people who litter is one of my biggest pet peeves). I'll tell you one thing, if something like this happened out here in Cali the tendant would probably get his a@$ sued off for his actions.

Del

Ron, I heard they just cleared a huge portion of desert for a golf course near Congress. That, along with other developments, would create a huge movement of snakes and if you happen to be along one of the major game lanes that could explain it. Are your neighbors experiencing the same problem?

Yo Slim...That development is about seven miles from us...Although a friend of ours lives right across the highway from that carnage and he said critters have been fleeing for the past year or more....Those idiots really raped the desert....Literally stripped every living thing in an at least four or five square mile area....Then, of course, the bottom dropped out of the housing...They're not even paving paradise to put up a parking lot....Just left scrapped bare dirt...

Our place is only about 300 yards from the open desert toward the Vulture and on a major game trail, so lots of wildlife is a daily sight...It's just never been so darn snakey before!!! :confused0013: ... Cheers, Unc

It SUCKS Ron, When it gets to the point you have to worry every minute about the dog gettin hit and your family steppin out the door.

A woman we know who works the deli counter at Wallmart (Kingman) lives in an area between us and Kingman stepped out her back porch steps at night a few months back and was either barefoot or house slippers got hit in the foot by one, she generally turns the light on before she steps out but failed to do so that time. She was incapacitated for quite a while and the med. bills were over 50 grand. She still has numbness in the area of the wound.

Its time to do something BUD if I was closer I'd come over an give you a hand either eradicatin or relocatn them vermin. :twocents:

Yea, that's a bit much. I wonder if the snakes are getting ready to den up and have chosen your place or your next door neighbor's place for the rendezvous. Back here in the east we are having a bumper crop of nuts, fruits, berry's and I kinda agree that it might be a sign of a cold winter ahead.

One of the fellows at the local cafe puts great store in these things and he's as bald as a cue ball. If he starts growing a head of hair, I'm heading to AZ or OZ real quick.

Later Wyndham

Hey Unc..

Hate to sound anal here.....but I'm gonna anyway.

Those who live in the asphalt jungle have to deal with the chance of runnin' into two legged snakes, four legged attacking

unleashed canines, and what have you...

It sounds like you and yours have decided to live on the edge of that jungle, closer to the nuggets that you post here for us to view...

Not that it will keep the critters that lived there before you, away from your house, but my suggestion would be, not to have a domesticated pet chained or penned outdoors...

I have several friends with acreage. And they have pets inside at night in kennels. Seems to be working out...

And believe me Ron, those spin-tails aren't your worry, your little dog SEES them...........

There are some bigger boys out there watching her that she can't see....

Maybe give that kennel some thought....... :twocents:

I do always enjoy your posts though....

good luck on that...

~wyld~

P.S.-------It appears a thread is going on right now from Allen in Mt on this forum Unc all about this.." the how many of you?"thread

Now I know why you called them Coon tails. I thought that it was just another name like buzztail or rattler... That's the first time I've seen a picture of one like that.

Just wondering how close you are getting to them when you send them off to meet their maker? I had read that they are able to strike up to the length of their body? I think I'd want a method with long range capabilities!

Wyld, we've started bringing Mahina in at night...We have an indoor pool so she sleeps there...We don't really mind having to deal with this that much because this is an exceptional situation rather than the norm...I like all the critters, they are almost, well, neighbors, if not pets...We see the same javalina family every other day or so, and several coyotes hang around here too...Also several coveys of quail and a bunch of other critters make their home on our property... I Like even the rattlers when it is remote...We just have to be aware, which is a good thing....

Kami...I'm back a good six feet or more and reach out with my pump air bb gun... By the way, Kami, our dog's name is Mahina Nuinui ...

Can you translate that?

Cheers, Unc

Aloha Unc Ron,

Just out of curiosity, was she born during a full moon?

Mahina Nuinui: losely translated means "GREAT MOON"!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi (seeker)

Hi Stan...Actually, Dodacious and I were on vacation on Kauai in '98 and our last night there there was a full moon coming up in the east and over the lagoon there was the only moon rainbow either of us has ever seen...It was brilliant rainbow colors glowing brightly against the pitch dark western sky...We asked some locals how you say "moon rainbow" in hawaiian...They told us "Mahina Nuinui"....Our dog had just been born so we thought it a great name....Cheers, Ron

Uncle Ron, I concur with Kaimi. Mahina does mean moon and Nui actually means big so Mahina Nui-nui would be very big moon. Rainbow is actually Anuenue... In any case, Mahina Nui-nui is a cool name. Perhaps they said Mahina Anuenue?

You know what lakanuki means? :innocent0009:

Hi Kaimi & Kamikaze....Duh, yes, I forgot my own dog's name spelling....I 'splained that to her to night when I fed her and she seemed OK with my lapse...Her real name is Mahina Anuenue ... I think I should go back to Kauai for more talking lessons.... :whoopie: ... Thanks for straightening my ass out....and, yep, I know what lakanuki means...Suffered through it many times in my life... :wink2: ...Cheers, Unc

Aloha Uncle Ron,

I had thought about the anuenue thing but could not figure out why anyone would name a dog that. Now I know! Cool way to chose a name for a dog tho.

Lakanuki? That's like most of the locals going to the college in Hawaii called Kamanawanalei U- niversity. I still get a lot of folks asking me if it is anywhere near the University of Hawaii or is it only for Hawaiians. DUH!!

Aloha you guys and remember to be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi