Nugget Shooter Forums

How many of you (long read)

How many of you have had the anti venom shots for your dog?

There has been some controversy on whether it works or not.

It would cost about $75.00 for the shot and 2 boosters.

I saw a god that got bit this spring out at LSD and it was not a pretty site, he did over come it but it took awhile and the dog did have one anti venom shot.

Heres a site about dog snake bites.

http://www.uscities.net/webnovice/jul01/snakebite.htm

enjoy and HAGD

Allen in MT Gh.D

Hi Allen-first off I'm not some dumb a$$ that takes his dog out during snake season :Huh_anim]: -so I guess I don't need to worry about waisting my money on shots- :hmmmmmm: -oh but wait according to a earlier thread snakes are out all year long- :tisc-tisc: I call BullSh%$ on that :rofl2: -I have yet to see a snake during the winter :innocent0009: Question for you--What does the Gh.D stand for :coffeetime: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Allen-first off I'm not some dumb a$$ that takes his dog out during snake season :Huh_anim]: -so I guess I don't need to worry about waisting my money on shots- :hmmmmmm: -oh but wait according to a earlier thread snakes are out all year long- :tisc-tisc: I call BullSh%$ on that :rofl2: -I have yet to see a snake during the winter :innocent0009: Question for you--What does the Gh.D stand for :coffeetime: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

I started adding that awhile back to see how long it would take for someone to ask that question. Now that you asked I can stop.

It stands for Gold Hunting Detectorist

Allen in MT

Hi Allen you don't have to stop on my account-I was just curious becauase I had noticed you started to add that- :hmmmmmm: I thought maybe you were some kind of special doctor or something-Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Allen you don't have to stop on my account-I was just curious becauase I had noticed you started to add that- :hmmmmmm: I thought maybe you were some kind of special doctor or something-Mike C... :ph34r2:

MIKE

Allen is a well qualified Dr. of BS also.

DR. Harry

Hi Allen,

My Siberian Husky got her first rattlesnake vaccine shot about 10 days ago and is scheduled to get the second one in about 3 weeks. It takes 2 shots at about a month apart for the vaccine to reach it's maximum protection level. The Vet also recommends an annual booster shot.

I did a huge amount of research before having my dog vaccinated because I found some information that blamed the vaccine on the death of a very small percentage of dogs that that received the vaccine. However in none of the cases could a find a direct provable link between the vaccine and the dog dying. In several of the cases the dog had received injections and medicine for several different things at the same time as receiving the snake vaccine. And since I'm going to be spending 3 weeks at LSD starting later this month I felt the gamble of getting the shots was less than the risks of serious injury to the dog if she was bitten and not protected.

There is only one company approved by the government to make and sell this vaccine and they use the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattler. The literature states that the vaccine is only effective against the bite of this snake, but it is supposedly somewhat effective against Sidewinders and I would guess that it is probably helpful for close relatives of the Western Diamondback (at least I hope so). Of course it won't help much, if at all, against the Mojave breeds or crossbreeds because their venom is in the neurotoxin family and quite different from the Western Diamondback.

I followed your link but it appears that the article was written by a guy in Florida who is not a Vet and he was surmising that the vaccine might be effective against Pygmy Rattlers. A Google search will lead you to many Vet sites and animal hospital sites with tons of info on this subject. There is a difference of agreement between the medical community as to the safety of using this vaccine. I did notice a dividing line in the community that I live in which is a beach community, with no snakes of any type, and none of the local Vets carried the vaccine or would even recommend it. When I started calling inland Vets in areas with large snake populations almost every Vet carried it in stock and recommended the vaccine as safe.

By the way, the cost of the antivenom shot that an unvaccinated dog needs if injected with venom from the bite has risen to $600 per shot, more or less, and the average size dog requires 2 shots. That can get expensive quick.

I know we have several snake savvy people on this forum hopefully some of them will join in and share some of their knowledge with us.

Tom G

MIKE

Allen is a well qualified Dr. of BS also.

DR. Harry

Hi Harry

I see you had your :coffeetime: today. I was amazed at the time of your post as I thought you would be :zzzzz: Does Maureen know that you were on the :comp: You should be out :icon_mrgreen: so that you have something for show and tell.

Did you go to Libby ck this weekend?? Looks like it could have been a little wet. If I don't see you before guess we will see you in AZ

Allen in MT

Hi Allen,

My Siberian Husky got her first rattlesnake vaccine shot about 10 days ago and is scheduled to get the second one in about 3 weeks. It takes 2 shots at about a month apart for the vaccine to reach it's maximum protection level. The Vet also recommends an annual booster shot.

I did a huge amount of research before having my dog vaccinated because I found some information that blamed the vaccine on the death of a very small percentage of dogs that that received the vaccine. However in none of the cases could a find a direct provable link between the vaccine and the dog dying. In several of the cases the dog had received injections and medicine for several different things at the same time as receiving the snake vaccine. And since I'm going to be spending 3 weeks at LSD starting later this month I felt the gamble of getting the shots was less than the risks of serious injury to the dog if she was bitten and not protected.

There is only one company approved by the government to make and sell this vaccine and they use the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattler. The literature states that the vaccine is only effective against the bite of this snake, but it is supposedly somewhat effective against Sidewinders and I would guess that it is probably helpful for close relatives of the Western Diamondback (at least I hope so). Of course it won't help much, if at all, against the Mojave breeds or crossbreeds because their venom is in the neurotoxin family and quite different from the Western Diamondback.

I followed your link but it appears that the article was written by a guy in Florida who is not a Vet and he was surmising that the vaccine might be effective against Pygmy Rattlers. A Google search will lead you to many Vet sites and animal hospital sites with tons of info on this subject. There is a difference of agreement between the medical community as to the safety of using this vaccine. I did notice a dividing line in the community that I live in which is a beach community, with no snakes of any type, and none of the local Vets carried the vaccine or would even recommend it. When I started calling inland Vets in areas with large snake populations almost every Vet carried it in stock and recommended the vaccine as safe.

By the way, the cost of the antivenom shot that an unvaccinated dog needs if injected with venom from the bite has risen to $600 per shot, more or less, and the average size dog requires 2 shots. That can get expensive quick.

I know we have several snake savvy people on this forum hopefully some of them will join in and share some of their knowledge with us.

Tom G

Was mainly wondering about the ones that live down AZ way, they can't kkep their dogs in the house all year. The one dog that I saw snake bit at LSD was last Feb. I have a Boxer that travels with me but has been mostly Nov thru Feb in AZ. guess it mostly depends on the temp.

Allen in MT

I have had a dog bitten by a rattler. It was out of commission for a long time, had head about the size of a watermellon :laught16:

There is also "snake training" where they take a live rattler, a shock collar and basiacly shock your dog when it recognize the snake.

They do it 2-3 times and trust me your dog will remember it.

About 3 weekends ago, i'm at the house along, workling in the garage. I notice my German Shorthair barking, knowing that she only barks at people walking aling the hwy or cow in the wash, I look out the window. I notice neither. I was about to head back to my project when I realize her bark is more frantic that the normal cow would bring.

I head down to the back yard. In the corner is litter of 5 week old kitttens, plus I see a coiled up rattler. One of our very young and stupit kittens was literally 2" from the rattler, I really think they were cuddled up together.

The snake was totaly calm and relaxed, I put my dogs inj the house, called "kitty" Kitty" and whe all the kittens got away from the rattler, I scarred them off then killed the snake.

All I know it has been 3 year since I had my GHerman Shorthair "Snake Trained" at the time she was a 1 year old. But 3 years later she knew what to do.

Hi Harry

I see you had your :coffeetime: today. I was amazed at the time of your post as I thought you would be :zzzzz: Does Maureen know that you were on the :comp: You should be out :icon_mrgreen: so that you have something for show and tell.

Did you go to Libby ck this weekend?? Looks like it could have been a little wet. If I don't see you before guess we will see you in AZ

Allen in MT

Howdy Allen,No We havent been to libb Cr. for a month or more,but plan on going to the outing next week. I've been staying close to home and spending most of my free time fishing for a change. Will be leaving for Az. the end of Oct.but will spend some time at Rye Patch Claims in Nv.. Estile Hunt is going to meet us there. When will You and Susie be leaving for Az.. If I dont see you at the Libby Cr. outing Wee will see you in Az.

Harry and

hi guys

i have seen many a snake out in winter sunnin them selfs-- there a bit lethargec tho

had one on the porch x-mass day a few years back.

heybeerman is right about snake trainin 50 bucks and they never forget !

had my dog snake trained 4 years ago and he has warned me of a lot of snakes

i never would have seen if it wernt for him.

of course i dont think you could shock train a dog for anything else mite confuse the heck out of him/her

any way my :twocents:

Mike C

Just because you haven't seen, smelled or touched something don't make it BS....I have seen snakes out in every month of the year with a possible exception of December...you have your right to any unfounded opinion you're capable of spouting but that don't make it true or you right...

Fred

I don't know how many of you watch Venom ER on the tube. I don't know how good idea it is for me to watch it...I would say it's like a skin diver watching JAWS. Anyway, some dude comes in with a Rattler bite to his hand. The Doc interviews him and it turns out this dude milks Rattlers, then DRINKS the venom and was bitten while milking. Apparently, he thought that the practice would make him immune. :tisc-tisc: From the looks of his hand, the drinking of venom did not give him the immunity he had hoped for and the Doc was really worried that his venom drinking might have made him immune to the anti-venom or worst yet, reactive to it. The guy lived.... but another different guy on the same show did not.

The snake training lady is going to be in Wickenburg this weekend, Oct. 11...$35 for the lesson...

Cheers, Unc

Sir Fred- :hmmmmmm: -I guess I need to go out to the desert more often :tisc-tisc: wait I live in the desert- :headphones: -I guess I need to be more open eyed to my surroundings instead of walking around with a blind fold on or get out more or live in CA so I can see one in December :innocent0009: - I guess anything is possible but I still say Bull $h%#-I am a bonified desert rat born and raised here-been huntin one thing or another in the AZ deserts since I was 5 and you would think that I should have seen one by now in Nov/Dec/Jan -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Fred,

Great advice, :bowdown: I will let my friend know that he doesn't have to worry anymore about rattlesnakes in winter. :Huh_anim]: All he needs to do is change his reality! :laught16::laught16:

He lives in southern Arizona and his dog was bit by a rattlesnake early last January. Both of his dogs were in a fenced yard but his puppy had not been snake trained or vaccinated like his other dog. He killed the rattlesnake and the dog did survive but only after a huge vet bill.

Wow Fred thats Heavy-you know its all part of the matrix :laught16: Hey Fred I did'nt know you had a fan club-welcome Haderly :innocent0009: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Ok Mr C;

I am willing to live and let live...you clearly know what I seen and know so I will adjust my experiences to match your reality...

I never did see a snake except when you say I could of...

Fred

Wow Fred thats Heavy-you know its all part of the matrix :laught16: Hey Fred I did'nt know you had a fan club-welcome Haderly :innocent0009: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Holy Sh!t, I didn’t know I had gone and signed up for a Fan Club. :smack: Do I get a newsletter, badge, sticker or anything :confused0013: ? Hope I get more then just :poke:

I had my dog vaccinated for a while and he got bit. I didn't realize it until the second day that it had happened, due to my schedule. :tisc-tisc:

However, he was just down for a couple days, and didn't require a trip to the vet. :whoopie:

The great thing now, he knows better than to get even close to one of those dam rattlers! :smrt1: