Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Bug 1 experience, anyone???

~LARGO~

Hi all,

I have a gold bug 2, and have found lots of gold with it, all pretty small, and I did own a

gold but 1 for a time, but don't recall how sensitive it was to small gold.

I know it has a better depth than the gb2, as I remember seeing ads in the gold prospecting

publications showing a guy in Alaska that did pretty good with the gold bug 1 way back when.

Just would like some input from someone who has one, or had one, that can give me some idea

of how sensitive they might be.

Thanks!

~LARGO~

I had both the GB1 & GB2 but there's a couple of factors you have to consider- coil size and control box settings. It's going to be hard to compare them since each of us had different set-ups. Another thing to think about is not all GB's were created equal. I had a friend who had a GB1 and we did side by side comparisons. my detector would NOT pick up some of the larger pieces at depth. Fisher has a range of specifications on each individual component so when it's put together- no two machines are alike.

Steve

Hi Frank,

Had a GMT, couldn't wait to get rid of it, I just wasn't smart enough to use it, I guess... :confused0013:

My nephew is the one needing the input on the Gold Bug 1, not me, I am satisfied with what my gold bug 2 can do, after 20 years or so of running it...

My gold bug has a 5 numeral serial number, and metal arm cup, so that puts it back pretty far...

~LARGO~

It's been about 15 years since I used the GB-1 but I know you would never find any subgrain sized pieces with either coil under most circumstances. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 6.5 coil could only pick up 2 or 3 grainers (or larger pieces) and the 10 inch could could only pick up 5 grainers or larger. I might be a little off but that's the best guess I can come up with.

Steve

The GB was my first gold machine. About 5 or 6 years later I got the GB2. I had a 6.5" coil for each. Absolutely no comparison on the small gold. On two of my very best days my GB2 managed to find fly specks as small as minus 20. Those are the two smallest pieces I've ever detected. The venerable old Gold Bug can't even get close. Steve is right on, though, when he says there are slight differences between individual Fisher machines. I have compared mine against others and have confirmed this several times. It is somewhat like purchasing a match quality pistol. In order to select the absolutely most sensitive one, a person needs the luxury of being able to bench test a whole batch. That's not a luxury most of us has. I used to have a gunsmith who would do that for me back in my competitive pistol shooting days. I wish I had a Fisher dealer like that now, but they're becoming an endangered species just like gunsmiths here in Southern California.

Hi Largo,

I bought a Gold Bug when they first came out, it was a quantum leap better than the Garrette A2B that I had been using before that. I still have the Bug as a backup unit. With the small coil, I could hunt the trashy areas. With the big 24" coil, I could hit nickel-weight nuggets at 10 to eleven inches. The standard coil is very versitile. I found it to be very effective to ground balance, and then switch to "no-motion" and leave it there, rather than using the no-motion only for pin-pointing. If it had come with an iron ID, it would have been perfect.

Ben