Nugget Shooter Forums

Rattlers' Attacking

Uncle Ron

Yo All...We've got a bizzare situation going on here at our house...We live on about 3 acres on the SW outskirts of Wickenburg...A wash runs behind the house that has been a historic game trail for havalinas, coyotes, deer and all the other fauna populating the upper Sonoran desert...So, of course, rattlers are semi-common...A couple nights ago, about 10PM, our little border collie, Mahina, was going nuts out in her kennel, a 15' x20' chain link fenced deal in which she has dug several extensive tunnels where she likes to sleep during the day....I went out and there was a pretty big coontail near her water tank, sounding off like an electric buzzer...Loudest rattler I've ever heard...

Mahina kept charging toward the snake, right up to the outer limit of it's strike range...It would strike and then move back...I ran into the house and got my BB gun, which I use for varmit control (can't shoot a gun in town), but by the time I got back out, the rattler had gone under a wood pile....I beat on the wood pile and the rattler finally headed down the hill and into the wash...I could hear it buzzing as it got further and further away...'Course, there was no way I was gonna go crashing down through the catsclaw and jumping cholla, so I let it go...

Now, last night, Mahina had that "snake bark" going on again at about the same time of night...I grabbed my BB gun and went out and could hear what sounded like several rattlers going off, but I could not determine exactly where the sounds were coming from...I told Mahina "sic'em" and she head pointed into one of her tunnels...I put the flashlight beam down in and, sure enough, there was at least one or two rattlers moving around there...The tunnel was far more extensive than I had realized and went back in the ground at least ten feet or more...Then I realized that there was a buzzing coming from the woodpile area too!!!...We were surrounded by rattlers in my own freakin' back yard!...I got Mahina on her leash and took her into the house...When I came back out, I could barely hear the snakes back in the tunnel and not at all by the woodpile...So I got the garden hose and started trying to fill up the tunnel with water to drive the snakes out...But it wouldn't fill up...Listening intently, I made out the sound of water running down in the near bottom of the wash...Apparently Mahina tunneled all the way down into a snake den! ... So, today, I've got the job of trying to fill in the tunnels, so no nugget shooting for me today...I also got some of that anti-snake powder I'm going to spread all over...Does anyone know if that stuff works ?....I hope it helps...

Such is life in the Dubyah...Cheers, Unc

post-9-1223050108_thumb.jpg

post-9-1223050129_thumb.jpg

post-9-1223050148_thumb.jpg

Ron, you need to teach Mahina to "fill her holes" and make a good prospector out of her!!! So before you fill it be sure to run the Minelab around it to be sure she did not miss a nugget!!!

Ron, it is a little early for snakes to be dennin-up...but, I believe it is time for slithery love strokes...the sudden increase in the snake population may be due to some developement near you or perhaps a fire or flood???either way be careful.

Snake Dust???is that related to Fairy Dust? And does it repel or attract?

Good Hunting

Fred

Ron, when they have the snake round up in Texas, they use those big pump sprayers, filled with gas and spray down into the hols, wait a minute or two, and the snakes will come out of there fast. I'd get me a good sharp hoe, and get the dog out of the way. Make sure your wearing you snake gaitors. And kill every one of them as they come out of the hole. Dogs are more importantant than snakes. We got plenty of them in Washington DC. Grubstake

Yo All...There's several brands of this snake repellant...The one I have is called Snake-A-Way...I just now poured some into Mahina's tunnel and spread it around the perimeter of her kennel...MAN...Does it stink!!!It has Naphthalene and sulphur in it...You can google the brand name to read all about it...Ranchers around the Dubyah use it to keep rattlers out of their barns and tack rooms...Cheers, Unc

Hi Ron

I doubt snakeaway will work !! If it does it will only be temporary. You need to eleviate the reasons the snakes are there. Food !! Rodentize your dog food and water bowls and keep any crumbs of dog food cleaned up. The main reason the snakes are there is the food source. Another good deterent is go out and catch some king snakes and turn em loose. They will eat or scare the bajebies outa the rattles , curb your rodent problem and they're just plain cute and cudley !! Happy Huntin John B.

Mothballs work also. The fumes given off , as they evaporate, works on racoons,and porcumines also.. Guess they can't stand the smell. ?? When living in Missouri, I used to lightly wrap dog flea collars around my boots; never had any kind of tick crawling up my legs. Cheap protection.

That sounds a bit like the movie Caddy Shack Ron :laught16: but rattlers are a bit more dangerous than gophers.

I landed at Rich Hill late this afternoon and at dark there were several coyotes very close to my camp. I put Nugget on his leash and grabbed my 12 gauge but they shut up before I could zero in on their exact locations. I've had to spray the bushes here a couple times before to let those fokkers know this is Nugget's house when we're here.

Hey Chris...Welcome back to Rich Hill....I haven't encountered many rattlers in the field this summer, but my bro has been seeing a couple almost every day as he hunts for old spanish mines and treasures...This thing with rattlers around my house has me concerned...John B. posted about the food source...Our idiot former neighbor just up hill from us just dumped his household garbage in a pile for a couple years...Then, when he was being evicted, he rented a big front loader, scraped out a hole and buried all the couple years' worth of garbage...That was two years ago...Suddenly, we are infested with those short eared, round tailed rats/ground squirrels that usually only live at the county land fills...I've shot as many as I can, but they have honeycombed the wash sides and I think that's what's drawing in the rattlers this year in numbers like never before....We've had to evacuate Mahina from her kennel...She's smart about the rattlers, but we don't want to take the chance...She's getting outnumbered...We have had a couple big ol' king snakes living around us, but I think they're getting outnumbered, too....See you at the pushes..Cheers, Unc

Ron, you have quite a dog there and a "miner" as well to dig those tunnels with her paws! But what happened to her "tailings" pile of dirt excavated from her tunneling?

A number of things came to mind as to how you could seal things up, but it would not be cost effective since she loves to dig for the purpose of laying in the cool dirt or sniffing out critters. I can't say that I blame her! My pooch does the same and also loves the water "mister" we installed for the heat.

The only thing that comes to mind is a "cheap" means of shot-crete.....as in straw, clay and mud mixed in with some river rock.

Auuhhh..... If you now anyone at the fire department.....I digress!

I'm curious about the extent of her tunneling ability, especially since it seems that it got as far as the "wash", that's one heck of an acomplishment!

Gary

Hi All:

I don't want to make fun of what could be a serious situtation but doesn't this sound like a great plot for a scifi-horror movie? :laught16: I think you could make a couple grade B movies with titles like "The Invasion of the Coontails From The Underground" or how about "Coontails Take Over The Earth" :laught16:

Seriously though- I hope you can control the problem somehow.

Steve

Ron, I think you need to think "food chain". A couple years ago I bought a hummingbird feeder and hung it outside one of my windows. It was great. :innocent0002: The hummingbirds came from all around and fed outside my window. Then a couple yellow-bellied sapsuckers found it and would land on it and peck the hell out it. :Huh_anim]: In the process they spilled half the sugar water on the ground. It didn't take long and I had bugs and mice. :WOW: Then a coontail came over and parked under the RV. :yikes: I think you get the picture. I chased the snake off, took down the feeder and set up a banquet for the mice on a dozen traps.

BTW, I was awakened last night at about 2 am by a coyote that was very close to the RV and howling up a storm. I opened the screen and got a real good location on it and blasted the sob. I'll go see what I hit when I finish my coffee. :coffeetime:

Ron, I think you need to think "food chain". A couple years ago I bought a hummingbird feeder and hung it outside one of my windows. It was great. :innocent0002: The hummingbirds came from all around and fed outside my window. Then a couple yellow-bellied sapsuckers found it and would land on it and peck the hell out it. :Huh_anim]: In the process they spilled half the sugar water on the ground. It didn't take long and I had bugs and mice. :WOW: Then a coontail came over and parked under the RV. :yikes: I think you get the picture. I chased the snake off, took down the feeder and set up a banquet for the mice on a dozen traps.

BTW, I was awakened last night at about 2 am by a coyote that was very close to the RV and howling up a storm. I opened the screen and got a real good location on it and blasted the sob. I'll go see what I hit when I finish my coffee. :coffeetime:

:Huh_anim]: ..........Sure hope that it wasn't some illegal nighttime coyote caller blowing a tune on his coyote howl flute....... Kinda like the Dick Cheney thing, shoot first, then check target validity... :laught16:

Hi Jim. :laught16: This would be a good place to hunt coyotes. There are many, and there's lot of food. The jackrabbits are thick this year too. They come up out of the gullies and washes and onto the flats at dusk and the coyotes follow. It appears that I missed it. I didn't hear any of them howling up close last night so I guess he got the message and spread the word...

Slim is back. :yikes:

The real message ... He went back and said Slim can't shoot ... coast is clear! :laught16::laught16:

Kidding of course Slim. Those dusk/dawn or after dark shots are tough even for an experienced coyote night hunter. I have missed my share ... shot more than missed though. :innocent0009:

If I think of it when I come out in February I'll bring my electronic coyote call (wounded rabbit) and we can have a "turkey shoot" if you are still in the area! :innocent0002:

Mike F.

:Huh_anim]: ..........Sure hope that it wasn't some illegal nighttime coyote caller blowing a tune on his coyote howl flute....... Kinda like the Dick Cheney thing, shoot first, then check target validity... :laught16:

Is it illegal to hunt coyotes at night in Arizona??I spent many a night here in Calif,and Montana calling coyotes.......glad there arent too many people that shoot into the dark.Uncle Ron.....didnt you have a little different attitude toward me and snakes when they were in my yard???? :innocent0009:

No, Kruger...I never had any attitude toward snakes in your yard...That wasn't me...See my next post from my events tonight...Cheers, Ron

OK Ron are you trying to bate me into a snake fight. I will come take care of them for you. You are setting on another kind of gold mine. You need to locate a jewler that makes jewlery out of snake ribs and bones. Kill the snakes and then dig up next to an ant hill and bury the snakes come back in a week or so and dig up your fortune in snake bones.

We used to build a small fire in the hole and smoke them out.

Border collies can dig some great caves. We used them to work cattle growing up and they all lived down in the tunnels. It made it hard to fight ticks and fleas.

Hey, Jade...We go through a few more nights of this rattler convention and I'll take you up on that...I've lived in rattler country for near 30 years between here and N. California, but I've never experienced this kind of thing...Trying to figure out what's different now, especially since I haven't seen hardly any rattlers out prospecting this summer...Cut all the tall grass in the back yard this morning and tonight, but then there was this 3 footer right there...I love the AZ and this just makes it more real, but the Dodacious One is getting iritated by the intimacy of the wildlife, if you know what I mean, and I think you do... :laught16: ...Cheers, Unc

post-9-1223273401_thumb.jpg