Nugget Shooter Forums

Look out John B. Maybe I'm gettin better at this NuggetShooting Stuff, Pulled this one out from under a giant Catclaw bush ripped the S___T outa my arm an hands , But it was worth it. Its got alot of CHARACTER with all the inclusions. :twocents:

Can't seem to get over :postdigger: a BIG one in the area I live in but the small ones :woohoo: just keep COMMIN.

Thanks for LOOKIN :coffeetime:

SANY0298-1.jpg

SANY0312.jpg

SANY0304.jpg

Congrats again. That sure is a nice way to start your day. Well, except for the infected and festuring wounds you acquired.

Scott

Hi Frank and All

Yea Frank your gettin pretty darn proficiant with that GMT :whoopie: !! I'm almost scart to show up at the GB outing :hmmmmmm: !! I'ld hate to get a spankin from You :Huh_anim]: !!! Gold Basin was a lot a fun quite a few years ago nugget huntin :icon_mrgreen: . I had lots of 25 to 30 nugget days workin patches I found :woohoo: . Then we started findin the space rocks and all that changed :shrug: !! Congrads Frank !! Happy Huntin John B.

Nice nuggie, Frank...Great character...It takes hard work and a tolerance for pain to develop the catsclaw scarred arms of a real nugget shooter...WTG...Cheers, Unc

nice find! Great characture. I'm kind of a Desert dummy, but what is catsclaw? Any pictures?

El Dorado;

catsclaw is an insidious vine/bush that looks all nice and innocent until you walk into it...then the little claws which are just like hooks grab you and tear your skin and clothing as you try to get away...really one of Arizonas finest inventions...I never met a catsclaw that didn't get some of my blood...

Fred

Catclaw........

I am with Fred on this one, detecting around them always seems to make me a blood donor.

Brushing against one while going at a pretty good clip down a trail on your quad, can really make one aware of the clothing and flesh shredding capabilities of such an innocent looking bush. I can attest to that..... Also backing into one of them shrubs is easy, retreating is quite difficult and something usually has to give. :Huh_anim]: :scare: :woohoo:

It is not referred to as, THE WAIT A MINUTE BUSH, for nothing.......

http://www.delange.org/AcaciaCatClaw/AcaciaCatClaw.htm

Nice nugget Frank, hope to get a gander at it at the next MPA meeting. How many vials of blood did you donate while detecting that area????

Jim

Thanks for the lesson....... sure does look like an innocent bush in those pictures, but I can see the reason for the name.... those thorns look nasty!

El Dorado,

Growing up here in the desert, we always had heard people call Catclaw, wait-a-minute bushes. That's because you're busy cruising through the desert and all of a sudden, "wait a minute, you ain't goin' nowhere" unless you want to turn your arm and shoulder into sliced lunchmeat. Acacia at least only wounds you, catclaw nails you, then won't let go. It also instantly alters new shirts to fill your ragbag.

Ben

El Dorado,

Growing up here in the desert, we always had heard people call Catclaw, wait-a-minute bushes. That's because you're busy cruising through the desert and all of a sudden, "wait a minute, you ain't goin' nowhere" unless you want to turn your arm and shoulder into sliced lunchmeat. Acacia at least only wounds you, catclaw nails you, then won't let go. It also instantly alters new shirts to fill your ragbag.

Ben

Ben,

My wife has repaired many a rip for me before the shirt hit the ragbag. :laught16:

I was not aware that there was several (shrubs) bushes that were called catclaw, The species that we have here in western Arizona, has claws that grab and won't let go, unless something gives. We may have both species up here for all I know. I see that the Mimosa Catclaw is supposed to be found mostly in southern Arizona. The villan that I am most familar with around here, has numerous claws all the way out to the tips of the branches.

http://www.delange.org/CatclawMimosa/CatclawMimosa.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catclaw_Acacia

Greg,

Yep, you have been witness to several duels that I have had with spanish daggers. I came out on the losing end and a sore end, both times. Don and I both got nailed by the same Catclaw bush while on our Quads, last year....... :zapped:

Jim

nice find! Great characture. I'm kind of a Desert dummy, but what is catsclaw? Any pictures?

I have still have some scars from my first (and only) encounter with catsclaw at Dome Rock near Quartzsite. I was a Big City dummy which is much worse then a Desert Dummy. :laught16::laught16::laught16: I'm a very fast learner though and haven't been attacked since. :laught16::laught16::laught16:

Steve