Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Digger Bob

Nevada discovery

In a little known and short lived gold district, far off the beaten path, I discoved this rare piece of history. It was only visible from one short strech of road and unless one was walking or quading cross country, you would never know it was there.

This is the most complete stamp mill I have ever seen, and that includes museums. A full 10 stamps, all looking ready to pound again. The face plate reads, " Union Iron Works, San Francisco, 1913".

Digger Bob

post-413-1221597592_thumb.jpg

post-413-1221597628_thumb.jpg

post-413-1221597658_thumb.jpg

amazing rock work too...how is the gold hunting with the TDI?

Fred

btw...did you get my private message/e-mail?

Can you just imagine the noise that thing made when it was running?? The EPA of today would have a fit! :kewlpics:

Your right Bob, it don't get any better than that. Thanks for letting us enjoy it too. AL

amazing rock work too...how is the gold hunting with the TDI?

Fred

btw...did you get my private message/e-mail?

Fred, between the fires and the heat and foot surgery this summer, I've not had much time to get out at all and do any serious detecting. I've found a few with the TDI but haven't been able to put it through it's paces like I'd like.

I'm hoping I can get out more this next month as things have settled down a bit. And no, I don't remember getting a PM or email from you. How long ago was it? Some memory cells were wiped out in the surgery ;-)

Digger

Bob,

Thanks for sharing that with us. From the amount of preparation they put into that operation, I am sure that they didn't plan on its short lived function. Hope that someday it will reside in a museum where it belongs. All to much ends up in a scrap yard......

Jim

A great way to visit history as it really was DB....thanks for the visit....

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=27514 few seem to care until it's too late.All the towns and cities in the motherlode,GOLD COUNTRY want tourism and more business but they virtually ignore the heritage of the area with only minor gold mentions and exhibits.......Dave

:whoopie: Great find. The carpentry is amazing,especially on the round wood flywheel. Whoever built it was a master to take that kind of punishment!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

That is a good one for sure! It must be a remote location or it would not still be there.

I found a 3 stamp on Lynx creek about 10 years ago that had burned down and all that was left was the iron. Was out that way last week and the only thing left now is the concrete foundation.

Bunk

That is a good one for sure! It must be a remote location or it would not still be there.

I found a 3 stamp on Lynx creek about 10 years ago that had burned down and all that was left was the iron. Was out that way last week and the only thing left now is the concrete foundation.

Bunk

Bunk---Look for that stamp mill in Fain park. It was moved about ten years ago when the Quailwood subdivision went in. Our kids use to have teenage beer parties around it in the early 70s, of course we found out about that many years later, that was before someone set fire to the shack that was there. I was amused when Prescott Valley had to hire a heavy duty crane to move the mill, when thinking back to what the old timers had available to them, mules and wagons, but they got er done. At least now, what is left of it, is preserved in the park.

No worries Bob, since I only have a work-based computer your system may be blocking my message...it was about two weeks ago...anyway, I hope you will be recovered and able to get on the gold, full speed ahead!

The places the old-timers managed to move huge equipment is always a marvel...I have seen stamp mills and steam engines (I think) way back in the hills around Allegany and Downieville that came on the backs of mules and men over the roughest trails...those boys were tough!!!

Fred