Nugget Shooter Forums

I wish I had more to contribute to this forum

Due to the unique nature of my collection and my collection preferences (50mm meteorite spheres) I feel like I don't really have much to offer to this forum.

The overwhelming theme seems to be hunting, which in my current situation, is not a topic I cannot engage in.

On other forums I can normally offer advice about processing meteorites but the focus on this forum seems to be about finding a nugget and leaving it that way.

So I just wanted to let all of you know that I read your threads, I just don't have anything to add :(

David I hope you don't give up on this forum....I think you have a lot of knowledge to contribute...

example...give step by step how you get a meteorite to look so good with a wire brush...how to

preserve a iron from rust...etc....get the idea....put yourself in the shoes of a professor and teach...

your right about the hunting only part...that's why your techniques are so unique to this forum...

You might have what most would consider an odd collection but they are beautiful.

When I get to talking about meteorites with friends I always get around to showing the pics of your spheres.

So don't stop posting, just bring a few to gold basin for the outing and show them off in person.

I'll bring the baseball bat! :laught16:

I guess I gave the wrong impression.

I don't plan to leave or to stop posting.

I just feel guilty that I can't contribute more to this forum..

I have posted info about the processes I use in the past and they get almost no replies, so I got the impression that it is not the type of information that people on this forum can use.

I just feel like this forum is one sided for me, I read it and get information and entertainment but I don't seem to be able to return the favor.

I guess I gave the wrong impression.

I don't plan to leave or to stop posting.

I just feel guilty that I can't contribute more to this forum..

I have posted info about the processes I use in the past and they get almost no replies, so I got the impression that it is not the type of information that people on this forum can use.

I just feel like this forum is one sided for me, I read it and get information and entertainment but I don't seem to be able to return the favor.

Don't feel bad David, I've never hunted a strewnfield, I can't make spheres, I've never found a classifed meteorite of my own, and my knowledge is that of a fresh new guy, and I still post. Without people like me who don't know much to ask questions, the Veteran hunters won't have a need to randomly post tips that some wouldn't think to ask about, adding to the knowledge of the Forum.

I've always liked your posts on all the Forums i've seen you on, I just never had much to say in the way of spheres, since I can't make them, don't have the materials such as large enough pieces to make them, and I couldn't afford them if they were for sale.

Rocco

Rocco

Hi David,

Like you, I don't have a lot to add to the forum. But I read everything and I do enjoy your impute and really like your 50mm meteorite spheres. They are a really great addition to the forum.

I've been collecting and studying meteorites for over 10 years but still have a lot of room to learn more. Bob Haag, Geoff, Marvin and Ruben have been a great influence on my knowledge.

I hope soon to have more time to hunt for meteorites. :icon_mrgreen: That's when it will all hit home for me.... :coffeetime:

best wishes, jim "bones" :o) :outtahere:

G'Day David

One big word FUN!! That's what forums are all about. Now don't get me wrong, sometimes they get serious and sometimes they get sad, but I think we all hope it's all fun. I think you have alot to contribute, you just need that question to pop up where you can jump in. I post on many forums around the world and by the time I do my loop, some forums I haven't posted on for 1 - 2 months, but I still go and read them. You've got to realize there's not any forum police out there with any laws stating that you have to make a post, you just enjoy yourself and join in when you can.

I know for a fact, some days it's been a bitch. I'd get home from work, I don't even want to turn on the computer. Other days, I'll spend the whole day just trying to catch up with old friends. Some of us don't have the luxury of free time, others do and you'll also notice that on weekends things seem to slow down a little because everybody's out hunting, which I wish I was.

You've contributed alot to forums. In fact just recently you corrected my way in cleaning sliced, etched iron meteorites. If it wasn't for you standing up and debating with me, I'd still be doing the wrong thing. Not only that, you posted up your technique on how you achieve your great spheres. I don't know if you posted it up here, but I think you should, even though it might not interest alot of people, I think alot are curious. It's just like switching on to a Discovery program, something you're not interested in, but it's fascinating and you watch it anyway.

You are involved in aircraft maintenance, fine cabinet making ( I think that's right ). So you have your finger on the pulse when it comes to metallurgy, woodcrafting and engineering. I know all of these would play an important part in somebody trying to develop a new drywasher, sluice or meteorite wand.

So as you can see, you have alot to contribute .. you just need somebody to post the right question at the right time. And I know you will jump in with flying colors. So, sit back, observe and enjoy the ride... You're gonna have fun!

Ok guys.. enough of me. I'll get off my soapbox.

Cheers

Johnno

David, If you didn't share your etched iron meteorite rust removal with us I'd still be re-etching them whenever they got rust spots. And your brilliant method of encasing a meteorite in plaster of paris for cutting has made life a lot easier for me. Overall I'd say that your contributions to meteorite forums is huge. It's quality not quantity that counts.

Jim

I'm glad I could help but I can't take sole credit for either processes.

My wife told me about BKF and the Plaster Block is a time tested approach to cutting rocks, I just applied it to space rocks :)

David, If you didn't share your etched iron meteorite rust removal with us I'd still be re-etching them whenever they got rust spots. And your brilliant method of encasing a meteorite in plaster of paris for cutting has made life a lot easier for me. Overall I'd say that your contributions to meteorite forums is huge. It's quality not quantity that counts.

Jim