Nugget Shooter Forums

WALKABOUT

Kid Saxon

The weather was nice,85 degrees. Had to get out and do some detecting,only had a few hours but came home with a nice specimen. For those interested I was using the GMT. SAT. at 7, GAIN at 7. The signal was faint with one bar on the graph. At about 10 inches in depth the ID said METAL TO CLOSE TO COIL with a loud scream. I knew it had to be a shovel or pick head. Dug about 4 inches deeper and removed two more rocks from the hole, then the signal disappeared. Picked up one rock and nothing,picked up the second rock and it screamed. Washed off the clay and this is what it looked like.

Total depth 14 inches,not bad for a GMT.

post-16015-1221410290_thumb.jpg

post-16015-1221410318_thumb.jpg

Good way to run the skunk away Kid....now go back and put your coil on the ground...move the same

speed as a fence post....and grid a large area four different ways and find the "daddy" that this

one broke off of.....thanks for the post.....

Aloha and WOOF!

Now definitely go back and try locking your signal boost on and maybe lowering your SAT to 6 and going r e a l s l ooooooooow over the area. Works all the time!

Lets see the pics of your next finds soon. Good going with the GMT guy.

Aloha and Be Safe Out There,

Stan aka Kaimi

:icon_mrgreen: :tisc-tisc: WHOOOAAA, Egg Salad Sanwich !!!! I Mean "Excellante" !!!!! I MEAN EXCELLENT !!!!!! :tisc-tisc:

Was this in ARIZONIE OR MEXIFORNEA ???????

AND THIRDLY DO WHAT THEY TOLD YOU RIGHT AWAY BEFORE SOMEBODY ELSE GETS THERE.

NICE GOIN WITH THE OL GMT. :laught16:

:whoopie:

That is one mighty fine specimen, sure to be more where that came from. Go get em.....

Fantastic depth for the GMT, especially if the ground was highly mineralized. Could you tell us what other settings you were using, such as Threshold, Fast auto-trac or manual GB, signal boost on or off ?

What coil were you using and were you scrubbing the ground or swinging high?

I am sure that the GMT users and those interested in getting a GMT would be delighted to hear more.

Jim

:whoopie:

That is one mighty fine specimen, sure to be more where that came from. Go get em.....

Fantastic depth for the GMT, especially if the ground was highly mineralized. Could you tell us what other settings you were using, such as Threshold, Fast auto-trac or manual GB, signal boost on or off ?

What coil were you using and were you scrubbing the ground or swinging high?

I am sure that the GMT users and those interested in getting a GMT would be delighted to hear more.

Jim

Hello, Paleface

This rock came from an old tailing pile we are working. Some hot rocks mixed in with the quartz,

and a lot of squar nails. Threshold volume was soft ( a loud hum drives me nuts ) ,auto track on , signal

boost off ,with the standard DD coil, swinging it as close to but not hitting the ground. Photo of dump

attached. Take care , Chuck

post-16015-1221443695_thumb.jpg

Chuck,

Thanks for the breakdown and nice photo. That is an interesting looking pile, I would turn the whole thing inside out and upside down, separate the larger stuff by raking and then crumb the fines. I would ground balance in auto-trac, flip to manual, hit the grab button, your detector will remember the auto-trac setting and keep you there. That way you will not be tracking out any weak signals. Also use the signal enhance, you will be surprised at the small crumbs that are gleaned this way.

I agree with you on the threshold, drives me insane, so therefore I use very little to nothing when working tailings and shallow areas. I may be wrong, but I figure that what advantage I lose by not using a steady hum of the threshold, I gain back by running with the signal enhance on.

Cut square nails.......... generally indicates turn of the century and before. Hope those old timers left you a poke full.

Jim