Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jagdoctor1

Club claim thoughts

I recent joined a club and went to the first spot that I could for a few hours. I saw the area was obviously drywashed heavily but it also had a few old hardrock mines with some tailings that had obviously been worked heavily. My question is ... What are the experienced detectorists thinking/looking for/taking note of. I can assume the obvious might be what areas have not been worked heavily and where can I do something different. I had a feeling after looking everything over that there were probably a set of thoughts/rules that some of you use when approaching this situation and thought I would ask. Thanks ahead of time.

In a heavily-hunted area, you will have to detect where others have not. Yeah, obvious, but the point is this: if drywash piles are still standing, then that means that they have not been properly hunted. Rake them down, layer by layer, and detect each layer. Also: hunt under bushes, thoroughly. Hunt in heavy brush (watching out for buzztails). These areas seldom get worked. Move, and detect under, rocks. Hunt the sides of washes, which often get little attention, compared to the bottom of washes. Many areas have camping areas, used in times past, until now. Usually very trashy, most detectroists ignore them, but they may be otherwise unworked. Also, don't spend a couple of minutes detecting an area, find nothing, and deem that it is "worked out", and go elsewhere. Go slow, optimally tune your detector, dig all faint signals, etc. Hope this helps; HH jim

I have found some nice large gold under the benches of the dry creeks. had to move 3ft of overburden but thats too deep for any detector found a nice 1/4 ouncer that way and many small nuggets. Dry creeks a different in the sence that gold can be anyware. Found a 1.6 gram nug and a .8 gramer on the outside bend pushed into some decomposed bedrock instead of dropping out in the bend it was pushed strait forward and up high. makes me wonder why they were not detected...think people stuck to the inside bend were only 4inches deep. pick and shovel will pay you every time if your in a good area....lots of scurpions hidden in the bank so watch out

Now that I've visited a few of the claims.... I am making plans for a more focused trip. I think the first spot I am going to hit is the tailing piles of one of the hardrock holes. For some reason it seemed that the pile of rocks were in the original spot and hadn't been moved. I think I'll move all of those and then maybe scrape some dirt off of the spots where rocks were piled.

Next I am going to cover the hillside next to a wash that I scanned a bit last time. I dug 2 bullets and a button from that hillside which tells me it hasn't been detected to well.

BUMP! I found my first placer gold nugget while detecting today!!! All of the other gold I've found has been in tailings. My camera is non op atm but it is a little tiny guy maybe 1/10 gram. I went back to the claim mentioned in this thread and moved alot of rocks from the tailing piles I mentioned. Good looking ore but nothing detectable other than some nails. I did the hillside bellow this and did a few other bedrock wash areas. One thing I thought was funny was that there are dry washer piles EVERYWHERE... big holes in the ground all over the place but .. Very little signs of working a particular wash that had caliche for a false bedrock. I could only see one spot where someone cleaned up the caliche. Soo.. I hit it with a little more enthusiasm and found this little guy. I hooted and hollered, it's pretty and I'm happy. :icon_mrgreen: :ROFL:

Good for you jagdr1 :headphones: You have what it takes, now you will have the confidence that you can find gold and you have learned that gold is often found imbeded in Caliche. You have to be carefull that you don't damage a good one getting it out! :luck: on your next one!

There are a few places that nature has stocked very generously. The fact that they have been hammered as club claims doesn't diminish their value as "bankable stars." An analogy might be the Arkansas state park that gets tens of thousands of visitors per year and where diamonds have been, and continue to be, extracted for many decades. If you belong to a club that owns one of those consistent producers you are lucky indeed. A very high percentage of club members only get out on the claims for 2 or 3 days at most. Often they are just able to start getting down to the good stuff when they've got to go home. Then the next weekend someone else jumps into, or next to, their hole and willy nilly starts heading in another direction. The result is a lot of surface disturbance without any consistent extraction. Thus, one strategy for such hammered (but potentially rich) spots is to string together a week to 10 days in order to concentrate your efforts on one area. Try first to sample effectively. Then establish a campsite for a longer stay in order to get sufficient overburden removed and for some major extraction. The sampling can be done randomly on weekends. Draw a chart of the claim and record the results of your samples on it. After a while you may notice a pattern begin to emerge. That's when to string together a week or two at the claim. The key thing here is to be able to get the bonanza results for yourself and clean it completely out before the looky-loos have a chance to move in on your digs. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice.

Way to go!!!! I know the feeling and it does feel great. I also just recently found my first nugget after a year.

Phil

Way to go!!!! I know the feeling and it does feel great. I also just recently found my first nugget after a year.

Phil

That is about how long it took me many moons ago and I found my first in my own drywasher's headder pile :laught16:

Bill