Nugget Shooter Forums

What wierd or strange things have you seen while prospecting/nugget shooting?

booger

There are some of these threads started in other outdoor forums and have some VERY interesting finds, everything from owls landing on peoples heads when in a deer stand to suspected bigfoot to couples doin- - - IT.

Just wondered what you have seen.

Here's one of mine not while out and about but still interesting: I work nights and sleep days last summer I was awoken by a rabbit screaming several times. I got up and looked out the window expecting to see a coyote with a rabbit... What I saw was a very young rabbit with a Gopher snake wrapped around it, then along came a very grown up rabbit. He/She gingerly came over to where the squeezing was taking place and looked at the snake and proceded to stomp the holy crap out of the snake until it let go of the young rabbit. The young one layed there for a bit then got up and ran off. The snake slithered away. Really cool.

Bill if this is too off topic please move it to where it should be..

Regards Bill

At the end of the season last year I was raking down an area to detect , it was about 11 am. Then when I was covering the ground with my detector I felt a brushing against my right shoulder blade on my back I was wearing a thin cutoff t-shirt as I stepped backwards to put my detector down to check out this feeling I spotted a FREAKIN BAT on the ground to my right, it was a beauty two tone color olive green and black.

He did'nt bite me but he must have been sick to be out in broad daylight and fall to the ground after striking my back.

It starteled me when I saw what it was and I immediately placed the coil of my detector on top of him so he could'nt move untill I grabbed a bucket to put over him. There were other people in the area at the time a woman and a man the woman came over to see it, as I turned away She proceeded to remove the bucket and pound the bejesus out of it with a large rock then said she did'nt like bats and it must have been sick :Huh_anim]: :laught16:

I agreed immediatly with her, and I was happy I had'nt shown any signs of being sick or give her a reson to dislike me thinking I would be the next recipeint of a large rock !!!!!!!!! :tisc-tisc:

:laught16: Clip clop shooed,khaki shorts packed with books,maps,and binocs, straw hatted pasty white econutz that bitch like crazy about miners killing the world. darn things'll give ya nightmares. Dredging my ol'claim offn' the merced I came up 1 day to find a naked 16 year old girl,Susan, looking down on me. I knew we had beaver in the canyon but that was a shocker. Jus' one of that fanatic Helmut Lough's freaks from the hill. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

:laught16: Clip clop shooed,khaki shorts packed with books,maps,and binocs, straw hatted pasty white econutz that bitch like crazy about miners killing the world. darn things'll give ya nightmares. Dredging my ol'claim offn' the merced I came up 1 day to find a naked 16 year old girl,Susan, looking down on me. I knew we had beaver in the canyon but that was a shocker. Jus' one of that fanatic Helmut Lough's freaks from the hill. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

lmao, thanks John :)

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago in Texas, I was firing my pottery kiln. It had gotten late and I was resting on my 500 gal propane tank that was about 20 yds from the kiln. It was a quiet night, no wind or noise and with the orange flame of the kiln coming out in a gentle roar, I kinda drifted close to sleep, when something placed 2 small paws on my shoulder, I froze for a moment. Just the day before a neighbor saw a Marquey(sp) cat, about the size of a Lynx in the yard. Fortunately My next door neighbor's snow white cat had jumped onto the propane tank behind me and came over to see what I was doing and not the Marquey.

Wyndham

A couple of years ago I was up on the Verde River doing some Catfish’n when I needed to go relieve myself. It was pitch-dark out and I had forgotten my flashlight. :smack: :grrr01: I walked a little ways down the road and proceeded to pee off the shoulder of the road. All of a sudden something slithered between my feet and across the road. After it got to the other side of the road I heard the rattling of a rattle snake. :worm1: Luck for me it must have been so scared or surprised for being peed on that it didn’t stop to bite me. :yikes::WOW: Needless to say I almost crapped myself and now I don’t forget a flashlight.

In these days of strange expectations I'm not sure if this really qualifies as weird. But a couple of weeks ago while me and my bride were doing some dredge runs up in Siskiyou County we found ourselves in the path of a gigantic pot bust that lasted for 2 or 3 days and netted nearly 800,000 pot plants (at an average of 8 to 10 pounds per mature plant -- it's the harvest season). Several helicopters kept buzzing us as they hauled "product" and we wondered whether any of the vegetation might break off and fall down on us. Apparently the mexican mafia is behind a lot of this illegal growing and as much as 75% of all pot grown in the USA is grown either in our national parks or national forests. Of course, if you or I dredged a little too close to the bank we would be mobbed by posse of Forest Rangers, our equipment confiscated and possibly sent to jail. Yet these 1000s of acres of PVC pipe irrigated pot plantations manage to flourish in the same places. Strange priorities our officials have. Other than that, nothing weirder than the 500+ pound male bear that crossed 35 yards right in front of us without even noticing that we were there (we were down wind and the creek was very noisy at that spot) or the rattlesnake that kept jostling two days in a row for the same space Jill was sniping.

O.K., a true story from the Land of Entrapment. Probably not the strangest thing that has happened, but it rates anyway.

A few years ago I was working in the Hillsboro District in New Mexico. It had ben a long five day grind on a placer operation and I was beat. I barely got down the road from the workings and tried to cross an arroyo, but the flood waters were high and there was only one way out of the canyon. I decided to camp right up on top of a big hill and cross in the morning.

I rolled out my bag next to the drivers side of my Land Cruiser and went to sleep. During the night I woke to the sound of heavy breathing and some stomping around. It was CLOSE man! My blood turned to ice and I knew there was something really wrong. When I poked my head out I just saw this big black shape in the dark between me and the Cruiser and I was only about two feet away. It was huge and black and mad as hell. I immediately thought "bear" and I was too close and too wrapped up in the mummy bag to run away. I had nothing else to do but fight so I let out a war cry and jumped out of the bag!

It was a big black bull. Boy did I feel silly. He just ran off down the canyon into the dark. My heart was still pounding as I laid back down to sleep . Just as I was drifting off again I heard the silly bovine coming back up the canyon. Within a few minutes he came really close again and began rubbing up against my Land Cruiser. he was almost humping the darn Toyota and I was worried that he would step on me or do some damage to that fine piece of Japanese engineering. I got up again and ran him off down the canyon for the second time.

I wondered why this bull had such a thing about the Land Cruiser. I figured that it was a big square shape on top of the hill and you often see bulls standing still on hilltops in the moonlight. It must be some kind of dominance thing or something. Anyhoo, I pondered it a while and went back to sleep.

Soon the oversized cheeseburger was back. I had moved a little way off and just let him do his thing. He walked up to the Cruiser and began rubbing his shoulder against the front fender. He was really going at it! He was snorting and making grunting noises and seemed to be very agitated. After a few big pushes (the Land Cruiser was rocking back and forth) I heard some metal crunching and I decided that he had had enough fun. I jumped up and ran that furry T-bone back down the canyon and up the other side, followed by a volley of (gold bearing) rocks.

I managed to waste away the rest of the night and when morning came I saw that he had torn off the rear view mirror strut and crumpled the left front fender a little. There was black hair stuck in the louvers and in the body seams. The mud and dirt on the windshield had big tounge marks where the pervert was getting a little kiss while he forced himself on my trusty ride. I stil do not know why this fellow was so interested in the Land Cruiser, but who could blame him! It is just too cute!

I packed up and rode out of the canyon. When I turned onto the highway I saw a big black bull standing on the hillside and wondered if he was the one I had seen the night before. He had a guilty but satisfied look on his face. As for the Land Cruiser, I went straight to the car wash and gave it a hot shower, and tried to help it forget the awful things that this brute had done the night before. From that day forward each time I pass a bull the Cruiser gives a little sputter and sometimes a backfire. I am just glad the deviant did not step on my head while I was asleep.

We have all lerned to live with this experience although it haunts us to this very day.

Bedrock Bob

Bob - I had an FJ40 (1973) and I loved it a lot but not as much as that bull did yours!! Good thing he didn't find you attractive :hmmmmmm: !!!

I have 6 of the darn things! I just love 'em! My old standby is a 1976 that I puchased 23 years ago. I have put 650,000 miles on it in that time. It'll crawl right up an icy tree, sit on a branch and sing like a bird. Some 4X4's are better in some respects, but all in all it is tough to beat an FJ-40 for all around reliability and usefulness. Nothing is as tough, period.

Prospectors here in Aztlan often drive the FJ-40 and they are as valuable as mules. I just sold an old 1969 for $9K to a placer miner at Ortiz. My son drives one, and we have two of the old FJ-55 "Iron Pig" Landcruiers that are famous for the Paris/Dakkar race.

The bull had to be on drugs. Crack I suppose. You just can't trust the darn bovines near the border these days. Between the crackhead cattle, the smugglers and the crooked politicians this place is going to hell in a handbasket. I am going to move just across the border to Canada and claim it for New Mexico. This is where the border will be unless we do some darn thing pretty fast.

Bob

Thank you very much for those words my friend. It is my pleasure to write things that folks can appreciate. Too often the subject matter is lost on the modern crowd. It is great to have a bunch of guys that can identify and appreciate a story about a horny bull in a lonesome placer field.

That was a compliment to you all even if it did not come out like that...

Bob

• 2 years later...

Just the other day I was swinging my arm some in the desert up north of phenix...I hear something heading towards me in the scrub and low and behold-it was a full grown EMU! Just out wandering around, probably got lost off of someones place!

Just the other day I was swinging my arm some in the desert up north of phenix...I hear something heading towards me in the scrub and low and behold-it was a full grown EMU! Just out wandering around, probably got lost off of someones place!

Now that's something you do not see every day in AZ :yuk-yuk:

How about Two UNDOCUMENTED ALEINS doing the Humpty Dumpty at the Mesquite Hotel Butt Naked Just after sun Rise!

Yep I Did!

What a Hoot! He just stayed on the Job and she was freaking out!

Guess it was good for em.

I just let out a loud laugh and walked away.

No I didn't turn them in. It was just the Two of them and before they knew I was there it looked most mutual.

Those two were just a drip in the bucket here.

I did keep walking and found my spot.

Never seen em again. Dog would have told me if they was there.

I used to carry (still do) a small Jurrasic Park toy dinosaur around with me on my travels as sort of a mascot. Dino is its name. It has a battery inside and when you touch the two contacts on the tail it lets out a growl and the eyes glow red for 10 seconds or so. Real fun.

One time I was out camping at French Camp near the top of the grade coming up from Bishop, CA. Dino was inside my tent in the little hanging bag from the top of the tent, and I was in my sleeping bag fast asleep. Sometime during the middle of the night Dino started growling and flashing his eyes and would not stop!! This went on for 2 or 3 minutes until I finally was roused enough to get up and examine the situation and found out some water condensation had dripped down onto the contacts and gotten them wet, and that's why Dino wouldn't quit growling. Or so I thought.

The next morning we found bear tracks all around the campsite. My friends jacket had been shreaded, and most everything laying out had been knocked over and rummaged through, but around my tent there was an area of complete calm. Nothing had been touched.

I'm convinced Dino came to life that night to protect me and pay me back for the travels and other fun stuff.

PIMPROTFLMAO! :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :whaaaa: :hahaha: :hahaha: :whoope:

O.K., a true story from the Land of Entrapment. Probably not the strangest thing that has happened, but it rates anyway.

A few years ago I was working in the Hillsboro District in New Mexico. It had ben a long five day grind on a placer operation and I was beat. I barely got down the road from the workings and tried to cross an arroyo, but the flood waters were high and there was only one way out of the canyon. I decided to camp right up on top of a big hill and cross in the morning.

I rolled out my bag next to the drivers side of my Land Cruiser and went to sleep. During the night I woke to the sound of heavy breathing and some stomping around. It was CLOSE man! My blood turned to ice and I knew there was something really wrong. When I poked my head out I just saw this big black shape in the dark between me and the Cruiser and I was only about two feet away. It was huge and black and mad as hell. I immediately thought "bear" and I was too close and too wrapped up in the mummy bag to run away. I had nothing else to do but fight so I let out a war cry and jumped out of the bag!

It was a big black bull. Boy did I feel silly. He just ran off down the canyon into the dark. My heart was still pounding as I laid back down to sleep . Just as I was drifting off again I heard the silly bovine coming back up the canyon. Within a few minutes he came really close again and began rubbing up against my Land Cruiser. he was almost humping the darn Toyota and I was worried that he would step on me or do some damage to that fine piece of Japanese engineering. I got up again and ran him off down the canyon for the second time.

I wondered why this bull had such a thing about the Land Cruiser. I figured that it was a big square shape on top of the hill and you often see bulls standing still on hilltops in the moonlight. It must be some kind of dominance thing or something. Anyhoo, I pondered it a while and went back to sleep.

Soon the oversized cheeseburger was back. I had moved a little way off and just let him do his thing. He walked up to the Cruiser and began rubbing his shoulder against the front fender. He was really going at it! He was snorting and making grunting noises and seemed to be very agitated. After a few big pushes (the Land Cruiser was rocking back and forth) I heard some metal crunching and I decided that he had had enough fun. I jumped up and ran that furry T-bone back down the canyon and up the other side, followed by a volley of (gold bearing) rocks.

I managed to waste away the rest of the night and when morning came I saw that he had torn off the rear view mirror strut and crumpled the left front fender a little. There was black hair stuck in the louvers and in the body seams. The mud and dirt on the windshield had big tounge marks where the pervert was getting a little kiss while he forced himself on my trusty ride. I stil do not know why this fellow was so interested in the Land Cruiser, but who could blame him! It is just too cute!

I packed up and rode out of the canyon. When I turned onto the highway I saw a big black bull standing on the hillside and wondered if he was the one I had seen the night before. He had a guilty but satisfied look on his face. As for the Land Cruiser, I went straight to the car wash and gave it a hot shower, and tried to help it forget the awful things that this brute had done the night before. From that day forward each time I pass a bull the Cruiser gives a little sputter and sometimes a backfire. I am just glad the deviant did not step on my head while I was asleep.

We have all lerned to live with this experience although it haunts us to this very day.

Bedrock Bob

Alright!

Three weeks ago I was on the Klamath river driving between Seiad valley and Happy Camp, and coming around a corner there lay a dead doe in a pull out that had been hit by a car.

Perched on top of her was a Bald Eagle, wings spread wide, fending off a very brave Raven he musta just ran off the kill.

On seeing me they both went airbourne, the Raven into the trees but the Eagle straight at the truck.

I had to hit the brakes as my whole window filled up with Bald Eagle at ten feet for an instant!

He flew straight up the road, just ahead of the truck for maybe ten yards before he put himself in a tight turn and then up into the trees!

If you drive into the Klamath river valley, watch out for deer. The place is just crazy with 'em.

Glad to see this alive again. Last Saturday I was out detecting with some friends. There was a patch of small Gold Bug sized nuggets in an area where there were lots of Manzanita. Bob (Montana) was clearing out some of the Manzanita with a chainsaw and yelped out. Turned out a 12-14" buzztail just flew out of the chips and it was cut to shreds. Bob did not even know it was there. Funny thing is we all looked for the missing head cause it could still be an issue and could not find it. Came to the conclusion that it must have struck the chain and done itself in. Never did find it, but Bob scored a handfull of nuggets!

There are some of these threads started in other outdoor forums and have some VERY interesting finds, everything from owls landing on peoples heads when in a deer stand to suspected bigfoot to couples doin- - - IT.

Just wondered what you have seen.

Here's one of mine not while out and about but still interesting: I work nights and sleep days last summer I was awoken by a rabbit screaming several times. I got up and looked out the window expecting to see a coyote with a rabbit... What I saw was a very young rabbit with a Gopher snake wrapped around it, then along came a very grown up rabbit. He/She gingerly came over to where the squeezing was taking place and looked at the snake and proceded to stomp the holy crap out of the snake until it let go of the young rabbit. The young one layed there for a bit then got up and ran off. The snake slithered away. Really cool.

Bill if this is too off topic please move it to where it should be..

Regards Bill

Does having an Amazon naked women walk into your camp wearing nothing but hiking boots to warm her.....her..... body parts at your camp fire count?

Jim

I second that emotion for the photos....BTW what do you consider a "Amazon"?

I was hiking through the Havasupai Indian Res, at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, in 1971 (I think I was 14). When we got to Havasu Falls, there were these two girls skinnydipping. They were from Germany, and were not embarrassed one bit. Here is the strange part - I had never seen one girl nude, never mind two, but they both had HAIRY LEGS! :whaaaa: It just completely freaked me out :hahaha: To this day I could not tell you what either one of them looked like. :yikes: All I can remember are those hairy legs! :zapped: :hahaha: