Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking for Krugerrands

Allen in MT

Got a guy that bought a Minelab 4000 to look for a bunch of gold Krugerrand that he buried on his property many years ago. They are in a capped pvc pipe and buried at a depth of about 2 feet. There are no powerlines in the area and no mineralization. He is contemplating buying the commander 18". So far he hasn't found them \. I have offered to help him but he declines help. He tried with a Garrett Master Hunter Cx with treasure hound 2 box and found nothing, of course this is his 1st attempt at detecting. He has the porter videos and read the inst book.

Any advise of what settings he could try. I would have thought the 11" stock coil should have found this.

Below is a pvc pipe I found years ago for an old couple that had buried some silver prospector rounds in a pvc pile. 176 of them.

Allen in MT Gh.D

post-227-1220365286_thumb.jpg

post-227-1220365314_thumb.jpg

Hi Allen,

This might sound strange, but I would think for what he is looking for

he could use virtually stock settings and have great success, wouldn't you?

Those Krugerrands should put out a heck of a signal.

Flak

Thats what I thought, I'm not sure how his hearing is, but he said he has found some junk. I told him to grid it and then go back at a 45 and do it again, Don't know how big an area he is searching, gave him a few settings to try but no luck so far.

Allen

One thing that might help, is if he can tell you

how deep he buried it...not for any forum chat,

but you could learn something more knowing that.

I agree that gridding the area is spot-on advice too,

we know how easy it is to miss a strip of ground by

randomly hunting an area.

Flak

Allen

Sometimes where they think they put it and where they did put it is not the same.People just forget and being off five feet it well to be a mile.He may not want to but for his own good he needs your help because he could die and then it would be lost forever.Thats until some guy buys the place and digging up his yard and finds it.This wouldn't be the first person it has happen to and won't be the last.

Chuck Anders

back about 15 or so years ago my buddies grandfather passed away and he used to bury his cash n coin etc. in mason jars , on the farm

all we had was a old garret coin machine ,, we dug up a lot of jars some over 2 feet plus , they all sounded off real well

so i would think he would have no problems unless he buried em 4foot plus :twocents:

Allen

Sometimes where they think they put it and where they did put it is not the same.People just forget and being off five feet it well to be a mile.He may not want to but for his own good he needs your help because he could die and then it would be lost forever.Thats until some guy buys the place and digging up his yard and finds it.This wouldn't be the first person it has happen to and won't be the last.

Chuck Anders

I have offered to help and didn't want anything in return, just the thrill of finding something for someone, and getting a few pictures without revealing who or where. I even told him the story that was written up about me helping an elderly couple finding their buried silver (picture in above post). He is suppose to call again today, so I will see what will happen.. You'd think at about 2' it would give a good signal.

Allen in MT Gh.D

Hi Allen...think of this...what is the dia. of a Krugerrand...about the size of a silver dollar? If he

buried the pipe standing straight up then the target is only the size of a Krugerrand...still at two

feet like Flak said the stock settings should do the job...also like Ridge Runner said it's more than

likely he's off about the location....why don't you get a coin the same size of a Krugerrand and do

a depth test with the same type of equipment.....also a Mason jar lid is a lot bigger a target than

a gold coin....

The fella may not have considered all the trash in the area before he buried them. He will first have to clear out all the trash (may take some time) before he will detect the deeper stuff. He may be hearing it, but then digs a smaller trash target. Keep rechecking the hole until no more signals. Process of elimination. As long as you are hearing targets keep digging them. When all is said and done and no more trash, or Krugerrand then wrong spot, move over.

Hey there Allen...

Just a thought here; I have a couple of old surveyor buddies of mine that used pretty basic VLF detectors to locate property

corners.....which probably ninety percent of the time were made out of re-bar, and have been for quite some time, at least in

the modern era....and they are only about the size of a dime to a nickel.....and they still find them. In cactus, under snow, etc..

Look here Allen, be careful with this guy......if he still refuses your help after offering to do pre-nuptials, and privacy disclosures

maybe there's a little darkness there that he's keeping from you....If you seek the adventure, go for it....otherwise beware !!

So maybe downsize a little on the equipment perhaps....never know.... :twocents:

good luck 2 u 2..........stay safe

~wyld~

They had a show on TV, Called the hunt for Amazing Treasure, one was about a guy, that had stoleden a bout a million bucks, put it akk in gold coins, including Kugerans, buried it in Paridise ,CA. the feds found a map, they tried detectors, and even had the help of a club, never got one hit, then they found that the trees around the site, had nails driven in to each tre, the ran lines and they inersected, they got a back hoe and 4 ft down they found pvc piped with end caps standing on end, also a 40 gal ice chest full of gold coins. The guy went to the fedral pen, but pled down to 5 years, could be the same guy. Its been that long. Maybe he had two stashes. Grubstake

I have checked a couple of rolls of Ike dollars end to end and a little VLF tesoro deLeon can almost get it at a measured 2 feet just setting on the ground so I know a 10x12 coil on this maching should get it there for the minelab should have no problem if he knows what he is doing.

I didn't hear from him today so maybe he found it. The 2 box garrett he had should have done the trick.

If I don't hear from him in a few days I will call to see how he's doing.

Allen in MT Gh.D

enjoy and HAGD

post-227-1220405350_thumb.jpg

If I don't hear from him in a few days I will call to see how he's doing.

Allen in MT Gh.D

enjoy and HAGD

Allen, I agree with wyldkatt7 on this one. tell some one where you are going and when you plan to return, self insurance if something is wrong. Voice of experince!

Max

They had a show on TV, Called the hunt for Amazing Treasure, one was about a guy, that had stoleden a bout a million bucks, put it akk in gold coins, including Kugerans, buried it in Paridise ,CA. the feds found a map, they tried detectors, and even had the help of a club, never got one hit, then they found that the trees around the site, had nails driven in to each tre, the ran lines and they inersected, they got a back hoe and 4 ft down they found pvc piped with end caps standing on end, also a 40 gal ice chest full of gold coins. The guy went to the fedral pen, but pled down to 5 years, could be the same guy. Its been that long. Maybe he had two stashes. Grubstake

Grubby,

Interesting you should remember that episode. That "guy" with the detector who helped them find that was me. There was no club. And as usual, the TV show didn't get it all right. I wrote an article about the whole thing about 10 years ago and it was published in Western and Eastern Treasures annual Gold and Silver edition, 1998.

There was 1.3 million in gold bullion coins in that stash. 2700 one oz. coins. Based on the evidence they found, they dont' believe there is more hidden there. BUT, you never know. He could have had another scam going that they never found out about. He was a slick Texas lawyer and you know how they are!

Digger Bob

Yep, BOB, I remember stuff like that, it gets filed away in the old cobweb of a brain I have. Until something similar triggers it to switch on. Ha! Ha! Grubstake PS If they stash once, then there is prob. more. Everyone has a back-up plan! At least the smartest ones do!

The 2 box Garret is a waste, been there. For gold in PCV pipe use a coil the size of the suspected depth, 25" coil in this case. You get zero halo effect when the gold is sealed in plastic. A 2 ft. detector air test won't work on this one. For a search of this type I use my 2000 mod unit with the frequency set for a big coil in ch 1. Mason jars can be easy to find, the lids rust and can have a big halo. That's why you find those old tin cans so deep. :postdigger: