Nugget Shooter Forums
El Dorado

Possibly dumb NOOB

:confused0013: I have my new to me GPX4000. At the present time I have two coils, the stock minelab 11"DD and a Nugget finder 14". My question is, the lower rod does not fit the Nugget finder coil so what is one to do? Are all NF coils this way? Who sells a lower rod that will work?

Never had this issue with my previous Minelabs, but also never had a NF coil either. :confused0013:

El Dorado....I have two NF coils and had a GP Extreme and a GP 3000 and not any problems with

the lower rod fitting....

El D, I had one that was pretty hard to press on also. Had to really force it. A little spit on the end helped to slide it on.

2 different bolt dia.s

the stock 4000 is 1/4", my coiltech is 5/16"

I bought a fiberglass lower (and upper - Otto) which has the 5/16" hole

need to use the correct dia nylon bolt for each

yes, the rubber washers are a bugger on the Otto shaft - but seem to be 5/16" on the stock 4000, loose as hell ????

Bill

IMG_3391.jpg

Picture make the fit look worse than it really is, but the stock rod is 3/32" bigger than the NF coil flanges. I really did not want to force it in thinking it might break something. Fits perfect in the stock coil... dunno, I am baffled. Nylon bolt may be another issue, but I don't know till the rod can go on the coil

G'Day El Dorado

I've always had a problem, especially with the rubber washers. They do take some force, especially when new and if you don't get them lined up correctly, the bolt is a bitch to get in. So I ended up getting some extra lower rods and now I just leave the coils in place and slide on whatever I need at the time. Alot easier than trying to assemble the coil on the rod. But then again, you might have won the lucky coil, won't fit nothin'!! :whoopie:

Cheers

Johnno

Steve try reversing the washers ....some time that helps...turn them inside out....

Hi El Dorado, the Coiltek lower fiberglass rods seem fit a little better than the stock ML rods when using NF coils. The only problem with the rods though, when you put a ML or a Coiltek coil on, you have to tighten the the screws down considerably since the fit isn't the best. I think you could probably get some plastic flat washers to correct this little problem though.

Hope this helps.

Del

This thing can go bareback...no rubber and it still won't go in. Probably will get a spare rod anyway. I'll just get a coiltek rod and keep a few nylon wahers handy if it is too loose. Who sells them? Bill ya got any? Anybody have a spare they want to sell?

Boy you're right El Dorado,

that looks like a tough fit.

As everyone has been saying, the stock lower rod is a very tight fit on many NF coils.

Hope you get another one and just leave the coil on it, it's a good, if kludgy, way to go.

Flak

Spit and a bigger hammer, LD....Spit and a bigger hammer....... :laught16::laught16::laught16: ...Cheers, Unc

Since the rod mounts are so solid on the NF coil, I just took a rasp and shaved off the correct amount and it fits perrrrrrfect now. No spit, no forcing!

That sure does look like a tight fit...maybe the coil needs more foreplay? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mayb the wrong hardware was attached to that coil? Do the VLF NF coils use the same mounting flange?

Thats what I was going to suggest , you either file the ears on the coil or the width of the rod where it goes between.

You licked the problem thats what counts.

Hapy Huntn.

ED, sorry for the tardy reply, but I do not follow the boards so closely; feel free to PM me.

Would never suggest filing the coil lugs, they are a foam filled skin and removing or reducing the inner skin will lead to premature failure.

I did not understand that the interference was with the lugs and stem widths, thought it was with the bolts and hole dias - which also have problems.

I have a 12x23 Coiltek (among others) which has a lug on only one side, for such the bolt must fit correctly (drill out the stock 4000 stem hole.

All can be had at McMaster Carr, but try your local Ace Hardware for the washers.

The stock 4000 stem end can be forced into the Coiltek as UR said, with force and total compression of the rubbers; different lower shafts are the solution.

I deal in numbers, but most do not (review this thread); if you need more info shoot me an e-mail.

Bill

This "lug" is gel coated fiberglass...... no foam interior, all I had to do was shave a bit of the gel coat off.. never even got close to the fiberglass. But thanks for the advice

This "lug" is gel coated fiberglass...... no foam interior, all I had to do was shave a bit of the gel coat off.. never even got close to the fiberglass. But thanks for the advice

eh, I should not be posting on items I know nothing about

looks good

Bill

Hey Bill, the hole misalignment happens because the brackets inside dimensions weren't calculated correctly and everything gets pushed out. When this happens the holes become misaligned. Yes you can drill a bigger hole, but I'm a little hessitant to taking a drill to a brand new coil especially since they're pricey coils. I think the coil should fit perfectly right out of the box with no adjustments what-so-ever.

When I got my first NF coil I was very impressed because you can tell everything was well thought out when it was being designed. Well... everything except for this fit! Whoever designed this bracket needs to go back and recalculate their manufacturing tolerances (put them a little more on the plus side) since most likely this is the culplit. I know one thing, I'm a design engineer that specializes with tolerances and fits, if I calculated a fit like this I'd get fired! Good coils.... bad fit!

Del

Here's a DUMBER question: anybody know the webb address of NF in Austrailia?....

Paseclipse

was an engr -> VP Engn -> CTO; agreed, the #s must match up

I think Minelab was/is more venial, they made the 4000's stem thicker precisely to impede the use of other coils.

Their stem fits their coils, so they are happy. What problem ?

I can assure you that the 4000 stem does NOT fit the dual lug Coiltek coils (though as UR said, it can be forced in), and apparently the NF ones are simply to narrow.

Grinding down the stem is pointless as the fit is based on the recess dimension + the 2 rubber thicknesses (as compressed).

I just get a lower shaft that fits for each coil, faster too.

NF info

Bill