Nugget Shooter Forums

What do you do

Denny

Here is a thought for all you detectorist/prospectors.

What do you do if you get an invite to check a new area or work a friends claim.

In the past i have been told you get to keep what you find,Sounds good right.What happens if you find a few oz,s in a day.You show them the gold.They say it,s ok but now the love is gone.Is it worth it :tisc-tisc:

I do not like to let greed or other feelings of discomfort and mistrust arise.

So when i,am out in this situation ,I say OK but we split all the gold we find.Yep it get,s into your poke but you will still have a friend. :innocent0002:

Hi Dennis,

I am preaching to the converted I realize,

and you know first-hand how I feel about this - we have talked about it a lot.

Open honesty may be the most important topic that could be discussed in any forum.

Nothing is worth losing a friend.

Especially gold.

I have had the honor of hunting with you many times

and have never had even the slightest moment of hesitation

about your integrity.

I only wish everyone could have the trust in their hunting partner

that you have given me.

Flak

Hi Denny I've been the same situation and thats all I'm saying about it-real uncomfortable situation-heres my veiw of it--they really are not your friend if they let gold get in the way :twocents: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Mike,

That is an interesting point

and I see what you are saying.

I guess it is personal preference - I like to be overcautious

in matters like this and because of that, am more comfortable

having things clear at the beginning.

It gives me the feeling of knowing where I stand, which I like.

Flak

I agree Dennis, you should at the very least make the offer. If it ocurs that an unusual amount or speicemen is found then it should be shared. Good prospecting pardners are harder to find than gold will ever be :innocent0002: .

Max

Here is a thought for all you detectorist/prospectors.

What do you do if you get an invite to check a new area or work a friends claim.

In the past i have been told you get to keep what you find,Sounds good right.What happens if you find a few oz,s in a day.You show them the gold.They say it,s ok but now the love is gone.Is it worth it :tisc-tisc:

I do not like to let greed or other feelings of discomfort and mistrust arise.

So when i,am out in this situation ,I say OK but we split all the gold we find.Yep it get,s into your poke but you will still have a friend. :innocent0002:

David right back at you.After learning how to pic good partners.

This was the best way i have figured to keep it good and fair.

I have been told i can use a few claims.I will not go unless the owners are there.

How many so call friends have been seen with others on there claim.{when told not to}

Just a thought i felt should be put out there.

MikeC i hear you on that one But large amounts of gold can do the damnedest things to good people.

Max you hit the nail on the head.{Good partners are harder to find than gold}

Looking forward to seeing and meeting you all at Gold Basin

I do like the golden moments and the finding of things more than the gold as i get older.

I cannot tell you how many times I have gone dredging on anothers claim with them and their equipmnet. Almost everytime I do not take any gold.........That is not why I share my labor and experience... .. it's just plain fun and I do it for the adventure. 25 years ago I lost a few very good friends because of their greed for gold, that will never ever happen again. Frienships are worth far more than gold.

I guess I might be accused, correctly, of being reclusive or anti-social, but I just don't hunt private patches, someone else's or mine, with others as a general rule for this very reason...I am always amazed when I show someone a nice nugget and their first response is , "What's it worth?"...I have some half grammers that are worth $1 million to me and some larger worth less....

For me, being in the desert is as close as I get to religion and it is very personal...The gold has nothing to do with it, until gold makes a difference such as can happen with other folk...There's a few special friends that I enjoy hunting with and we' ve swapped semi-public patches, but I would not ever ask them for a special patch they're hunting and I know they would never do the same with me....That being said, there's a couple times I thought I'd whipped a patch to death and invited a few special friends in to mop up...And, of course, they did a little bit that I'd missed, which made me happy... :icon_mrgreen: ...That's my :twocents: on the matter...Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

I've always thought it's more about the finding than the having, so I always offer to split at least 50-50, if not more (to them) if it's "their" spot. If I take someone else to one of my spots, I would at least want them to offer, although I likely wouldn't take it (If I got skunked I'd let them buy lunch though) :innocent0009:

Having a good friend to go out in the desert with is sure a lot more important than a little shiny metal. :mm:

Folks after reading your post above I realize more than you do how lucky you are to be able

to beep with good friends who are honest...law abiding....respectful...and courtious...all of the

attributes that I was used to before coming down here to Brazil...

Those beautiful words are in the Portuguese language but have no meaning here....in the ten

years I've been detecting and dredging for gold here I've been robbed....lied to...had equipment

stolen....air lines disconnected while I was 30' down....shot at....

A "gringo" is a "gringo" no matter how long one lives here....at best it's better to have an agreement

before any work starts and then if greed worms it's way into a friendship then the friendship

wasn't worth it in the first place....so why am I still here?...some times good gold...cold beer...

and good watermelon... :laught16:

:icon_mrgreen: I ALWAYS use my good ol' % profile on anothers claim-3 components-claim,labor,equipment(same as dredging)1/3 for my expensive equipment(truck-detectors-tents-tools) 1/3 to my experienced labor and 1/3 to the claim owner. NEVER had any problems EVER and yes I use signed,sealed contracts to 100% protect myself from the newbies who love to climb cliffs,play with rattlers and like to feed bears :laught16: Tons a au 2 u 2-John

I met a claim owner last year who invited me to hunt on some of his claims in NV. He said I could keep anything I found but said that if I found anything over an ounce I should either NOT tell him about it or split it with him. Then he went on to tell me about a guy who found a multi ounce nugget in a particular area of one of his claims and how he went in with heavy equipment and strip mined the area after the find. He said he did real well.

Talking about it and agreeing before the hunt should prevent any misunderstandings.

This can be a sensitive issue. I'm not sure there is a one size fits all protocol. Just being fair and up-front is the most important thing. True friendships are based on mutual trust.

I've always thought it's more about the finding than the having, so I always offer to split at least 50-50, if not more (to them) if it's "their" spot. If I take someone else to one of my spots, I would at least want them to offer, although I likely wouldn't take it (If I got skunked I'd let them buy lunch though) :innocent0009:

Having a good friend to go out in the desert with is sure a lot more important than a little shiny metal. :mm:

Welcome to the forum jeneric82........

So do you get many lunches?? :confused0013:

~wyld~

Welcome to the forum jeneric82........

So do you get many lunches?? :confused0013:

~wyld~

Thanks for the welcome wyld.

Fortunately, no I don't get many lunches. I've only gotten one actually, and that wasn't even here in AZ. I grew up in Iowa and used to pan with some friends at some areas of the Iowa River for some fine stuff. Only got skunked once while hunting there and my friend found a nice little stash. He actually bought me steak for lunch that day.