Nugget Shooter Forums

Bonus articles on the Sky and Telescope website!

Hi all,

The good guys at Sky & Telescope Magazine have just made public two bonus articles written by Geoff Notkin and myself. You’ll also find meteorite related text, pictures and videos.

Visit via my website

http://www.mr-meteorite.com/articleinstmagazine.htm

Ruben Garcia tells you "How To Identify Stony Meteorites in the Field" and takes you along on a meteorite hunt with his video camera.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/skytel/beyo...e/27233549.html

Geoff Notkin points out some of the interesting features you may see on samples of metallic cosmic debris in "Surface Characteristics of Iron Meteorites".

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/skytel/beyo...e/27232149.html

Don’t forget to read our upcoming feature article, "Touching the Stars Without Leaving Home" Hunting and collecting meteorites is a way you can own ancient material from outer space. Sky and Telescope Magazine - October 2008!

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

http://www.mr-meteorite.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user...rfright&p=v

Hey Ruben, I haven't picked up the S&T magazine yet but I did read your article on their website. I gotta say thanks because thats the first time I've read something that covers identifying heavily weathered chondrites. I like it because it's realistic about what you encounter in the field (especially for dry lake bed hunting). When you spend enough time in the field you eventually learn most meteorites aren't the museum quality pieces you see on websites, books, and in the museums. Way to go! Excellent article for realistic meteorite hunting! :whoopie:

Del

Thanks Del,

I've recieved lots of emails saying the very same thing. I'm glad that decided to actually write about "REAL" meteorite hunting.

Speaking of real meteorite hunting. Have you seen the Franconia Group Hunt in this months Meteorite Mag. The editors ran quite a few of really good pics of You, Stan, Mike Morgan, Paul Desilets, as well as the group photo with Jim Smaller, Jim Shorten, Billy Wtzel, and many others whos names I don't remember right now....sorry!

The Sky and Telescope article will be out in a couple of weeks!

Ruben Garcia

Hi Ruben, I really enjoyed your informative videos! Great stuff! Especially how you managed to capture the escence of hunting and identifying meteorites compared to most of the clinical by the book versions. And your guitar playing isn't to shabby either!

Jim

Speaking of real meteorite hunting. Have you seen the Franconia Group Hunt in this months Meteorite Mag. The editors ran quite a few of really good pics of You, Stan, Mike Morgan, Paul Desilets, as well as the group photo with Jim Smaller, Jim Shorten, Billy Wtzel, and many others whos names I don't remember right now....sorry!

Naw I haven't received that yet Ruben. MM seems to take a little bit before it gets out here to Cali. I look forward to reading the article once it gets here though.

Del

Hey Ruben, I finally received my edition of Meteorite Magazine today. Another well written article my friend! Like I've told you before, you do a very good job of capturing the meteorite hunting experience. :;):

Del

Aloha Ruben,

Just got a couple of emails from some friends in Hawaii that actually get the magazine. they were a little surprised I was into hunting meteorites as i used to hunt only for relics back home in Hawaii. they plan to visit Vegas soon and will be bringing their metal detectors along and want to try out hunting for meteorites. Now that should be interesting! Who knows, we might have a couple of newbies n the making. Plan on taking them out to Gold Basin with maybe a day trip out to Franconia.

Once again, thanks for the article and keep em coming.

I just got back from a trip north of vegas and may have found a new spot to try hunting for space rocks. Ground looks favorable and I have at least two specimens that i know are meteorites. And no I wont be posting any info on this new spot just yet.

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Aloha and thanks Ruben,

I actually found the pieces while on the way to a ghosttown site i had previously visited and thought this area looked kind of like some spots in Franconia so I stopped and walked around for an hour. Little did i know! I guess luck played a big part in this find.

Yep, there will be a couple more guys starting to look for meteorites next month when my friends from Hawaii arrive. They can hardly wait for cooler weather so they can enjoy the outdoors without getting cooked.

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi