Nugget Shooter Forums

claim question

• 2 weeks later...

No, unless you have something signed by a notary they County does not need to record it. For instance if you file a renewal fee waiver for work done it has to be notarized and that notarized copy needs to go to the County recorder as well as the BLM.

If your just renewing and paying the $125 you do NOT need to take anything to the recorders office.

That's the way I figure it. But here in California I specifically asked a BLM emloyee in Sacto via telephone that very question: "If all I am doing is paying the annual maintenance fee, do I have to file a notice to that effect with the county recorder after I receive my receipt from BLM?" He said yes I did have to file an annual notice of intent to hold, but he could not cite a reason or a basis. I had a very difficult time comprehending him as it sounded like he had a mouthful of mashed potatoes the whole time we were on the phone. So, possibly I misunderstood what he was mumbling. Afterward, I figured better safe than sorry and spent the $12 to record my notice. My reading of the plain language contained in the table contained in 43 CFR 3835.31(d) is that a person is required NEITHER to record an affidavit of assessment work NOR a notice of intent to hold if they simply pay the annual maintenance fee. It would be nice to obtain a definitive statement from BLM on this issue. Both miners and the various county recorder offices would be relieved from the burden of recording thousands of senseless annual notices.

Each county has their own rules concerning Gold claims, best to just call the county recorders offic and ask them. The BLM folks do not know how each and every county recorders office does business. Not to mention, you don't have to go in person, just use snail mail.

BLM manual specifically states you must file a NOI when you rent your own claim-sic-sic-sic?? They already took your money BUT want to throw a monkey wrench into the works so you'll screw up and have to refile-cute?? LL NO!! Just file the annual labor,keep your $125 and deny them the cash to screw you outta your claims-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

I called the recorders office and talked to two different people and they both had no idea. Then the lady at the blm said i did not need to, but i did not believe her.

Did you talk to Susan? The people at the recorders office don't know jack about mines/etc so don't listen to them, they just record whatever you bring in. :) I put a lot of trust in the people at the BLM office, personally.

BLM manual specifically states you must file a NOI when you rent your own claim-sic-sic-sic?? They already took your money BUT want to throw a monkey wrench into the works so you'll screw up and have to refile-cute?? LL NO!! Just file the annual labor,keep your $125 and deny them the cash to screw you outta your claims-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Like John said you are required to file notice of intent or an affidavit of assessment work with the county the claim is in by December 30 . Also some county will req. you to pay an unsecured property tax.

Chuck

Yeah .... I've been wandering that too. I call BLM and paid my fee over the phone and asked the guy (BLM representative) if I had to file any other paperwork with the County Recorder's office he told me I have to file my assessment work with them and just to fill the proper form and tell them that I had paid my $125 maintenence fee to the BLM and that was my assessment work for that year. Now if you had claim the benefit of the small miners fee (persons that own less than 10 claims) I had to file the regular assessment work and provide receits and such. Of course I live in Ca.