Nugget Shooter Forums

Odd Meteorites or Meteorwrongs?

Hi, this photo (third photo) looks like it could be a piece of Dinosaur bone ??? if not a meteorite. Alway's hard to tell sometimes from photo's... :tisc-tisc: :coffeetime:

600 x 444 (370.16K)

Still, all very nice pieces, jim "bones" :outtahere:

Maybe the dinosaur was struck by a meteorite :coffeetime: , hence, the heavy metal content ??? :laught16:

Humm, to me they could pass as meteorites but I'd check with Ruben or someone who is on top of it all. :icon_mrgreen:

jim "bones" :outtahere:

Hi again, I have been looking and studying on your second stone image / photo.... It looks to be a very high iron content. I'm lost on trying to place it. It's probably a high content iron, ordinary chondrite. Or, a variation of a stony iron.... I was hoping one of the guy's with more knowledge than I would chip in with there impute. You may want to send some photo's to Bob Haag, Mike Farmer or Marvin Killgore. They are quite knowledgeable in the field :coffeetime:

I wish I could be of more help. Best wishes, jim "bones" :outtahere:

Eric, It's pretty hard to tell from photo's but the second specimen with the high metal content looks a lot like one of my unc. NWA's that I believe is an Enstatite classification.

Jim

post-21157-1219086709_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jim. Jim...;)

Bone! That was my first thought when I saw it, until I stuck a magnet to it, then I sanded it. The moment I got the rust off I noticed the spheroidal inclusions and the iron in reflected light. Lots of it!

It has very high iron content, and if you look at photo #4 you'll see it. It looks even weirder under 10X magnification.

The "stone" is VERY HIGHLY magnetic, almost as much as some canyon diablo irons I have.

I did a streak test and it leaves a brownish-red streak to it, as does some of my other NWA meteorites which isn't conclusive at all and is very subjective.

Anyone?

I didn't think of it but that eBay item from Adam Hupe's auctions, etc. :confused0013:

Adam would be an excellent man to contact. He deal's with a lot of NWA's. He's a very good man to chat with. Send him a note and a photo via the e-mail on his eBay site. I'll bet he will give you some very good inpute. :coffeetime:

jim "bones" :outtahere: