Nugget Shooter Forums

Free Show....maybe

Hi Gang, well since the WX has been hot and we've all pounded Amazon for the latest book to add to our collection, I've turned to Astronomy again and it's time for the annual Perseid Meteor shower next week. Here is the description from Space Weather.com

PERSEID METEORS: Keep an eye on the sky. Earth is entering a broad stream of debris from Comet Swift-Tuttle, the source of the annual Perseid meteor shower. Although the shower does not peak until Tuesday, August 12th, don't be surprised to see a number of "early Perseid's" making their appearance in the nights ahead:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/22...perseiddawn.htm

Hope you all enjoy and keep a count, I'd like to know how many everyone saw. In 2005, I saw 477 and lasted until about 5am, I was tired, but boy did I have fun!!!

Jason :;):

Hi gang, well it turned out to be a great night for the meteor shower, but a bit cool up at Sawmill trail head at Mt Charleston. A cool 56 degrees :smack: by 0415AM and a bit windy. I left at 0415 and ended up seeing 240 meteors :zapped: :whoopie: from about 2215 to 0415. I had the cameras out there and hope to have captured some Perseid's on film. Did anyone else get out of town to see them???

They peaked right on schedule, around 0200, where as I saw 67 from 0200 to 0300.

Now if I can just get rid of this stiff neck..... :laught16:

Hi Jason, I've been trying to see them but the clouds are to great in the my area, Tombstone, AZ. It's our rainy season. But we do need the rain. :tisc-tisc:

I took some pics back in the mid 90's of the shower. They came out pretty good. I have a Nikon F5 with 400 speed film The photo's came out, not to grainy. What system do you use, etc. :innocent0009:

I'd like to get into shooting more film as well. When I go out hunting meteorites I plan on taking my camera's. :coffeetime:

best wishes, jim "bones" :outtahere:

Hi Jason & All

Wow!! :WOW: Great show this morning. :whoopie: They were going in all directions from 3 to 5am just outside Chloride.

There were some really neet short bursts with spray and some just lit up with no trails. :zapped: One could almost smell the sulfur. Far to many to count. Now for the neck brace. :banged:

Ben!!! Nice bunch from Holbrook. :happy0045:

Wayne

Aloha,

I went to Rosies diner early for a quick snack then parked across the road. Not bad for a free fireworks show. Cant tell how many we saw but there were a lot. May end up going back tonite to see if there are any more coming in.

Great to get away from the city lights and be back in the "real desert" areas.

aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Wayne, you can say that again... I had meteors coming from behind me which I think are not the typical Perseid's, but nonetheless very cool. One of the highlights was at count number 177 and 178, where they Cris-crossed in the same area. It was very cool to see that. :cool04:

Stan, it was nice to get out of the city, but man I wasn't ready for the cool temps :tisc-tisc: . The original plan called for me to be on a dry lake observing, but gas and my truck kept me close to home.

Jim, hopefully the pics will turn, I'll get those back on Thurs. I used two cameras, both Olympus OM-1/(n) with 400 speed slide film. I find slide to have better results. I was using the standard lens for both. Basically, open the shutter and walk away. Every now and again I would check them and move them to a different point of the sky and hope for the best. Unless you have a very wide angle (fish eye) lens, it's tough to even catch one Perseid on film.

The next mentionable meteor shower is the Leonids in Nov/Dec. time frame.

Hi Jason, thanks for the info. I got up at 1:30 and again at 3 AM but it was way to cloudy to see anything :angry-smiley-010:

I like slide film as well. Great color and detail. Do you ever shoot at Polaris (north star) ??? It gives you a nice ring of the stars moving around it.... As soon as I get copies of this one photo I have, I'll send it to you. It's a nice pic.... :innocent0002:

jim "bones" :coffeetime: :outtahere:

Jim, I did and do for the North star. I got a chance to check out the process of the two rolls I shot and one roll was completely junk. As for the other (Fuji) I caught two Perseid's out of 24 frames. So not too bad, and some nice star trails to boot. Once I get them, I'll post them. That Fuji film is nice stuff, but I over exposed quite a few, forgetting about the 400 speed and faster capture rate. Oh well, there's always the Leonids...Jason :;):

Hi Jason,

I woke up at 3 AM and went out for a look. Saw one real nice one. She flared up, went out and flared up again. Very bright. My guess is it skipped off the atmosphere and re-entered. :coffeetime:

Then the mosquitoes chewed off my left arm and right ear so I hobbled back in to the house. :laught16:

best wishes, jim "bones" :outtahere: