Nugget Shooter Forums

Holbrook Reprise Aug. 2-3

I had the itch to hunt again real bad but, my son Erik's broken ankle was still knitting. So, where could I hunt alone in this awful heat? Holbrook sounded okay, except.... that we had pounded it in the past. Hard. At least it's not one of THOSE places, where they'd find my decomposing body a week later.....and hey, if I found anything, it would be a personal triumph. Since I was in that part of the State, I spent most of Saturday hunting an area that had caught my attention in the past. No new meteorites were found, so I tooled on over to the Holbrook strewn field. I worked from 3:00 PM till after 7:00 when I lost my light. Arriving late, I thought I'd try extreme field limits and beyond. That was probably a bad idea with 100-degree heat, no clouds, and no breeze. I managed to eke out a cute, little-but-complete, sub-gram, individual. At least I wouldn't be skunked. Sunday at first light, I got into the groove early. You Know....when you just stop walking because you feel it, and you just need to look closely, so that you can see the meteorite. Bingo! A fragment, then a nice 2 gram complete individual. Wow! Only then, my camera took a dump. It wouldn't shoot And it wouldn't turn off! Noooo! Later, as it was getting hot again, I found four pieces within six inches of each other, weighing 2.45, 0.8, 0.45, and 0.25 grams. I thought those pieces will fit together and would have made a great in situ shot. Then, I was hot, tired, and sunburned. Besides the extra heat, the reflected light was starting to blank-out my eyesight. Before I called it a day, I ran my neodymium magnet through an anthill in a kind of Ninninger-moment. I was amazed as this actually pulled up some meteoric bits. Amused but baked, I'd had enough, and decided to walk diagonally back to the truck in a direct line. And NO sidetrips, I had to get out of there! Then, when I was almost there, I spotted a nice one. I knelt to get a close look and....wham! About six inches to the left I saw a BIG one. And it wasn't laying on top of the ground. Like an iceberg, most of it was IN the ground! After I carefully wiggled it out, I found that the initial 3.35 gram piece DOES FIT onto the 19.85 gram , larger chunk. Then I was laughing. That was too close-in for a find, and I wouldn't hunt there. Everyone has hunted there. Hell, people from other countries have probably hunted there! I got the phone out of my pack and called Erik. You're not going to believe this.... I made one last attempt with the camera, reinserting the batteries. No dice, and it probably erased any pics I might have had. All photos had to be taken back in Phoenix after cleaning and weighing the total 30.15 grams. Then had a long drive to rethink the strewn field. About an hour west of Holbrook, I passed through a massive thunderstorm. Finally, some shade!

Ben

5-6.jpg

total of 30.15g's

2-8.jpg

19.85g's & 3.35g's Fit together

3-7.jpg

19.85g's & 3.35g's helt together with fingers

Aloha Ben,

Great haul! :whoopie:

Persistance will pay off always, wont it! :innocent0009:

Too bad Erik couldnt make it out there with you. But I bet it was a relief to know that the "kid" wouldn't walk out of there with a kilo or two. :laught16: Hope he is feeling better and will be out there pounding the ground soon. :cool04:

Cant do much out here as the weather is getting really weird with all the thunderstorms and flashfloods heading our way lately.

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hmmm...30.15 grams + $100.00(?) in gas probably = Great time!!! I guess that equals out just about right. Nice job Ben!!! I can't wait until the cooler weather, but as always, I'm looking up instead of down. Astronomy has my attention these days and so does school so maybe I won't be ready for the winter. Jason :;):

Hello Ben, What great finds! Nice photos as well. Did you find them with your sierra gold max coil?

It sure makes the sore feet and the heat worth every minute doesn't it! Congratulations!

Hey, I sent you a p.m.

Dean

Jayray, at $40-$50 a gram i wouldn't worry about gas.

Dean, 99% of detectors are useless at Holbrook and the other

1% is complicated programing.... you could find a big one(200+grams) with

a quality detector like a whites or Minelabs with a big coils

right under the surface. The salt in the sand gives you interference

like on dry lakes and also the meteorite is an L with very low metal,

they don't click to the magnet like and H Chondrite.

[Erik]

Erik, I guess your right, but that means selling them. Personally, I like keeping them until it comes to a point where I can't put food on the table them maybe I'll sell them. I figure if I'm going to put that much effort into finding them, why sell them? If I was a big collector, or had pounds of a specific type them maybe I would, but for now, not a chance. Jason :;):

Jayray, at $40-$50 a gram i wouldn't worry about gas.

Dean, 99% of detectors are useless at Holbrook and the other

1% is complicated programing.... you could find a big one(200+grams) with

a quality detector like a whites or Minelabs with a big coils

right under the surface. The salt in the sand gives you interference

like on dry lakes and also the meteorite is an L with very low metal,

they don't click to the magnet like and H Chondrite.

[Erik]

Erik, Hey thanks for the information! I guess I have just gotten used to my detector screaming from my finds here in N.M.

I would have gone to Holbrook with my detector for sure. I would definitely like to take lessons from you and your dad!!

Even here in N.M. I have been in a few areas where it is hard to use a detector with the hot rocks and other things.

Still learning in N.M. Thanks again!

Dean

Ben and Erik- Man when I see you guys come back from Holbrook with hauls like this it makes me confident you two will have no problem hunting dry lake beds because it's the same exact style of hunting. :poke: :laught16:

Del

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the congrats on my hard work. I have a question where I need your feedback. Since I can fit pieces together, should I Superglue them into one chunk, or should I keep them separate? Your opinions will be helpful.

Thanks, Ben

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the congrats on my hard work. I have a question where I need your feedback. Since I can fit pieces together, should I Superglue them into one chunk, or should I keep them separate? Your opinions will be helpful.

Thanks, Ben

Superglue? :nutty:

If you have a container where you can put them in together I would do that instead of glueing them together. I like mine in their natural state. If someone wants to see them together it usually only takes a minute or two to get them fitted for viewing. This way it shows the force that this piece took when it entered the atmosphere and hit good ole planet earth. Just my :twocents: tho!

Aloha and keep on finding them specimens before Erik gets them all. :laught16:

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey Guys,

Thanks, Ben

Hey Ben this question was asked on the Meteorite List recently. The topic was started by Greg Stanley and was titled "best way to glue meteorite together" it's in the July 2008 (dated July 20th) archive-

Meteorite List Archive

Here's what was suggested by Nick Gessler-

"Hi Greg,

Bond 527 (available at Michael's) is a good reversible glue.

You can dissolve it with acetone. But be aware, acetone is not friendly.

In the museum conservation field, reversibility is what you're after.

You can glue it together, and then take it apart if you need to.

As for how to do it, as an archaeologist some time back, and having glued

many pieces of Primm together, I would suggest a "sand box." Sand will

allow you to balance the pieces so that they dry without falling out

of position.

And as to where to start, try fitting several pieces together by

hand. Figure out

which ones need to be glued together first so that you don't end up

with a piece

that won't go in.

Have fun,

Nick "

Hope this helps.