Nugget Shooter Forums

Whites MXT,

I was looking around at detectors. I am considering a gold bug 2 from somebody on the prospecting forums. While looking around an comparison shopping I noticed there are several MXT's for sell on ebay. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on why? I had considered the MXT the GMT the Xterra 70 and course the GB2. Any opinions would be appreciated. I have definately decided to go with a VLF for now and these are the most spoken of. I do like the multi function of some of the detectors but I like the time tested reputation the GB2 has for gold more I think and it's also the best deal I've seen so far.

I was looking around at detectors. I am considering a gold bug 2 from somebody on the prospecting forums. While looking around an comparison shopping I noticed there are several MXT's for sell on ebay. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on why? I had considered the MXT the GMT the Xterra 70 and course the GB2. Any opinions would be appreciated. I have definately decided to go with a VLF for now and these are the most spoken of. I do like the multi function of some of the detectors but I like the time tested reputation the GB2 has for gold more I think and it's also the best deal I've seen so far.

My :twocents: ............

I would go with the GMT if you are just interested in a top notch VLF gold getter, I have 2 of them and after hunting next to GB2's on many occasions, I am glad that I chose the GMT. I have turned many many individuals onto the GMT and am pretty sure that none of them have regretted it

If you are leaning towards a multi-purpose detector, I can only speak for the Minelab X-Terra 70, I have one and am quite pleased with it. I have the 10x5" E 18.75 Khz DD prospecting coil on it all the time, at the beach, park, relic hunting, gold and meteorite hunting. All around good combination.

Both Minelab and Whites stand behind their products and have good customer service.

Good luck with your decision.....

Jim

Much appreciated. I will store it away in my mental filing caginet. I have a feeling which I will go with because I have waited patiently for along time and now I have the moola and unfortunately other family members know about it so I'm eager to spend it quick LOL.

I've had both the mxt and the X70 -IMO- between the 2 the X70 is the better all around beeper--theres only one thing on the mxt that I would like to see on the X70-and that is the adjustable vsat :headphones: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

I've had both the mxt and the X70 -IMO- between the 2 the X70 is the better all around beeper--theres only one thing on the mxt that I would like to see on the X70-and that is the adjustable vsat :headphones: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Thanks for the info Mike.

Aloha,

Just my :twocents: , but I have run into people using the MXT and they are happy with them hunting for coins and relics BUT when I took a couple of them out to hunt for meteorites they passed right over them with no signal. Luckily I was right behind them and got the signal using my GMT so I had them go back to the spot and retune their units. Took them awhile but they finally got the MXT to pick up a signal. Dont know what happened but one of them finally got a GMT and is real happy with it now.

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

The MXT won't get the gold that the GMT, GB2 or the Lobo ST will, of the 3 the Lobo is the most user friendlythen the GB2. The GMT has everything hard wired on the shaft. The GB2 and Lobo the control box come off the shaft and is hip or chest mountable which is good if you are hunting for hours on end.

The x70 is also a good machine for multi purpose use but not as good on gold as the 3 above. Of the 3 multi purpose machines MXT, X70 and Lobo ST, my personel choice would be the Lobo since it is better on the gold I have owned and used all of the mentioned detectors. just my :twocents: thought.

AZllen in MT Gh.D

It probably goes without saying ... but I feel compelled to say it anyway. A detector is only the tool. For the most part the tool will work for the job at hand. It is the operator that is the issue. I find that a lot of operators don't take the time to learn their machines. They expect instant results right out of the box because someone they know or heard from over a forum has had great results. What makes the likes of Montana, JP, Chris Gholson, Rob Allison, Lunk and many others so successful is that they take the time to learn the ins and outs of the equipment.

Bottom line ... whatever machine you choose find out as much information as you can about it and experiment with test targets whether nuggets, coins, jewelry or relics. Talk to those who use it as their primary machine and are successful. Most of the guys I have talked to about my Whites DFX and my past Minelab GP3K have been very open and willing to share if you only ask.

That's my best :twocents: worth!

Good Luck,

Mike

Yes I understand that fully. That is why I am bringing this up "again" Rod and others have answered my questions on detectors in the past and were helpfull in making me switch back to wanting a VLF. However opinions are easy to come by and by asking again I get a fresh barrage of them which I can choose from. I believe I'll be buying a GB2 and I don't plan on doing any swapping but sticking with it to get a good feel for it. When the time is right someday I want to add a PI machine but that is down the road. I appreciate everyones help and hope to see ya out there sometime.

Hi jagdoctor1

This is just my opinion but I have owned a GB2 and sold it because I do not believe the iron discriminator is as good as The Goldmaster machines. Also don't believe the depth is as good. I tested on 3 gold nuggets and the GB2 said that 2 of the nuggets were iron. My MXT and GM3 (witch is the same circuit as the GMT) said all three was not iron. Like I said just my opinion. My GB2 might have been a bad one?

Jim

I think that Cougar Jim is right in his assumption that the GM3 and GMT will have a little bit more depth advantage over the GB2. The iron discrimination on the GMT is almost unbelieveable. The GMT does come as a stick mount in most cases, however it was also made in the chest and hip mount version. I have both and like the hip mount version best. The crisp ZIP-ZIP signal that the GM series produces is pure music and the 2 books, Zip Zip Mastering Your Nugget Detector and Zip Zip The Advanced Course, by Larry Sallee, are great books to help you master your VLF detector, especially if it is a Whites GM. :;):

As far as comparing the X-Terra 70 to the GMT, Apples and Oranges, the X-70 is a multi-purpose detector and the GMT is basically a gold detector. I have done testing in some real nasty ground with my machines and the GMT out did the X-70 in every test when it came to gold and meteorites. For coin hunting, just the opposite is the case unless you dig every signal. Relic hunting usually requires that you investigate all signals unless you just want non-ferrous relics.

Mike said it best, it is true that sometimes the machine is only as good as the operator. What ever detector you get, get to know it well and understand its capabilities, go where gold has been found or is likely to be found, practice and research will produce good results.

Jim

Hi what ever beeper you get learn it like Mike said and you will have a better chance :headphones: I've owned all the above beepers mentioned and and found gold with them all except the mxt-- thats all I'm going to say-live and learn-opinions are like ????????--theres lots of them-find the one that best suits YOU and the enviroment you'll be beepin in :twocents: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Just like reading a "How To Play Tennis" book will not alone prepare you for an actual match, whatever detector you ultimately select must be swung a whole lot before the nuggety sounds begin to stand out somewhat from the rest. The zip-zip of a GB2, when passed over a piece of fly speck gold, sometimes seems to my ears to have a sort of raggedy, scratchy character that is subtly different from the zip-zip induced by a tiny lead fragment or other junk metal speck -- particularly when you've got it in your recovery cup or spoon. It's these tiny guys that sharpen your skills -- the bigger pieces scream loud enough to take care of themselves unless they are at the outer edge of your detector's threshold. But be sure to dig 'em all.

I'll be diggin it all! hehe it'll get old I know,because I've had a cheap detector for awhile now and have dug tons o stuff. I'll tell you something intresting though... I can't wait to try out a decent detector on my property, I've found lots of intresting ore here and my gardens are lined with quite intresting specimens, My daughter even found some visible gold in one! I've been asking all around trying to find out where the old renters got the stones but to no use so far.

Jagdoctor1: Try skip tracing the previous tenant--maybe thev landlord will give you his name and forwarding

address and phone number (if they were good tenants) but even if you can only get their name you

and called them up or write them a letter and get some information--simple stuff, takes very little effort

and might payoff-just research--good luck

Well see some of the neighbors have very similar rocks in thier yards.... I'm talking about 100 pd Quarts rocks in some of thier yards with green and red staining all over them. I've crushed a few from my yard and havn't found anything spectacular but have recovered some gold. Alot of rocks in this area come from the land management rip rap piles but not these ... They all look like they came from a silver or copper mine. Everyone says well I think they came from the rip rap piles.. *shrug*

Here are some facts to ponder. Why are there so many MXT's for sale? It's largely a numbers game. The MXT has been the best selling detector in the world since it's introduction. In a usual year, White's makes MORE MXT's then some other manufacturers ENTIRE LINEUP. Check out the local newspaper's car sales ads: you will find more used Ford F-150's for sale than Masserti's. More made means more to sell. As far as finding small gold is concerned: in MILD ground, the GB2 can find flakes as small as 1/20th grain. In BAD ground, which would totally defeat the GB2, the GMT will find flakes as small as 1/10th grain. Not a whole lot of difference. But since the GMT handles bad ground better, can be automatically or manually or instanteously ground balanced at 1,000:1 resolution, it far outshadows the 15:1 manual GB of the Bug. Continuing this thread of small gold: both the MXT and Lobo can find flakes to as small as 1/4 grain. The MXT was designed by the same engineer who designed the Lobo, and he spent 3 years improving, and adding to, the Lobo's design, to make the MXT. Since the MXT outshadows the Lobo in just about every category, most multi-line dealers report that Lobo sales are few and far between since the MXT came out. Ease of operation: sorry, but it is not true that the GB2 is easier to operate than the GMT. AUTOMATIC is far easier than MANUAL. If any GMT ot MXT users want to know how to power tune the GMT or MXT to find more or smaller gold, contact me. Last year the Boss Lady purchased a couple more rental houses due to our involvement with the GMT and MXT, proof that they DO excell at finding gold. Iron ID: the GMT and MXT have the most accurate iron IDENTFYING circuits around. The big issue is that some folks don't know how to use them properly. In mineralized ground, you must dig targets which give consistent "Percentage iron" targets of 70% and less. Such targets are ALMOST ALWAYS non-ferrous. Those above 70% are ALMOST ALWAYS ferrous. Those who criticize the MXT's iron IDing ability are respectfully encouraged to try this technique. I have converted dozens of "anti" MXT iron ID fault-finders to MXT iron ID praisers once they know how to operate it properly. Hope this helps; HH Jim

Great information, thanks. The major factor in me choosing the GB2 was the fact that it was for sell by someone on the forums and I feel alot more comfortable with that than with Ebay or any other source. It was a good priced and a reliable detector with several accesories. Now I will get to know it and hopefully be succesfull with it as others here have been. Tailing piles will be my focus in the beginning so it should do fine. Also since these are usually on mountains I will be able to have shallow bedrock to search.