Nugget Shooter Forums

Yo All...I covered a heck of a lot of flat ground today working out a line from several patches...Hoping to find where the patch picks up again...There's some good red dirt along with lots of mineral indicators, but no new nuggets so far....As I was beeping along, I started wondering why I rarely find any old coins in some of these gold fields that the old timers worked so hard...I began imagining how cool it would be to find a gold coin...Anyhow, about an hour later and a hundred yards further in my search, I got a screaming signal...I dug down about six inches and the target was still there...The dirt was rich red and I started getting excited...Then, at about 8 inches the target was out of the hole...Got it in my scoop and then plopped it down in my hand...It was HEAVY and ROUND :woohoo: ...All covered in red dirt...I was sure I'd found my gold coin...But, then after rubbing most of the dirt off and rinsing it off with water, it turned out to be this odd lead round thing...with a strange shaped hole in the middle and a rim line around it...The hole on the backside is very different than the hole on the front...When I got it home I cleaned off some caliche and oxidation with the sonic cleaner and some CLR...Anyhow, I don't have a clue what it is...A button, maybe? .... It was out in the middle this big flat with no junk around it anywhere...Oh, it weighs exactly 1/4 of an ounce troy...5 DWT...Any ideas??? Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

post-9-1217812461_thumb.jpg

post-9-1217813313_thumb.jpg

:laught16:

Hello Ron,

I was wondering where I lost that thing at , that was a hat pin I had and lost years ago :innocent0009: .

Hey Mike...............:laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16:

:laught16: .....Cheers, Ron

Unc, that may be a hem-weight...women sewed them into their dresses to keep the dress from blowing about and showing their sexy ankles...it does not look just like ones I have found but close enough for my guess...

Fred

Hi Ron

It's probably an old balance scale weight :hmmmmmm: !! I found one in GV which had 1/4 stamped on it and I left immediatly :escape: !! If I were you I'ld go to where you have a chance at finding at least one ounce or better yet pound sized ones :shrug: !! Then you have a place worth huntin !! :unsure: Happy Huntin John B.

I've found a couple of those here in Mariposa, home made lead buttons, I've seen them in different sizes, for shirts or overalls. Some have had 4 little holes and some just 2. A friend a few years back found a 1 dollar gold coin, someone made into a cuff button. Grubstake

I would think that if it is exactly a quarter ounce troy weight the connection to some type of weighing device would be your answer, preferably a device to weigh precious metals. I doubt that it would be a button of sorts since most all buttons have 2 or more holes in them and 1/4th of an ounce is quite heavy for a button.

My :twocents:

Jim

Hi Mike :hmmmmmm: Lets see in the overall hunt I took 3rd out of 80 plus people which is'nt to shabby in my book :headphones: -what place did you take :innocent0009: you better bring some diapers and a box of tissues-wait you better bring enough for you and your whites buddy :winking0011: -because the Dfx twins are going down by my toysoro and me :1153: -do you guys have your beepers monogramed as well--when are you guys going to convert the 3rd musketeer into a Dfx triplet-then you guys could be one for one and one for all or all in one-something like that :laught16: see ya there :woohoo: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Guys,

All I can say is I'll see you in Laughlin in OCT. :innocent0009: .