Nugget Shooter Forums

A Gringo prospecting in Mexico

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

Hey guys, I'd sure like your advise/comments on this issue.

One of my friends and neighbors here in Springer, has a strong background in gold prospecting,

and holds( I do not) "dual citizenship'"( Mexico and US). He has a home in Mexico which he pays rent

on, since as a US citizen, as you cannot own Mexican property, only rent it!

He goes to Mexico to vacation every year, but does not own a metal detector and has often

asked me to bring my GP Extreme me and accompany him to some rich Mexican Placer

locations that he knows about, owned by ranchers that he has permission he has to prospect on.

This guy , like me. is an "Anglo", and cannot speak Spainish

I told him that I don't trust the MexicanFederal Police, and am afraid that they could

confiscate my detector, and throw me into a Mexican Jail for "stealing Mexican gold , when I tried

to bring it back to the US.

Am I being paranoid, or am I being wise?

He swears that he knows of areas where some locals without metal detectors are constantly

finding nuggets!

This guy is a "straight arrow", and I trust him, but I think that he is mistaken to think that the

Mexican authorities can be trusted!

Aside from the nuggets that I had made up into Jewelry for my wifes, friends, and relatives, I

still own all of the gold that I have ever found. I do this for fun, not to make money, and I sure

don't want to be worried and stressed out when I'm trying to enjoy my hobby!

What do you folks think about this?

Potholes Bob

Hey Bob I say go for it and lets us know how it worked out- :innocent0009: -either from your current house or from your jail cell that you will be sharing with Tito who likes gringos :hump9: :laught16: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi PH Bob

I know you don't like me much which is OK with me !! But beepin in Mexico is asking for problems :Huh_anim]: . Mexico primarilly the federalies interpret the laws the way they want to and Mexican laywers love American clients ( they are the cash cows) :angry-smiley-010: !! They have screwy laws about radio equiptment( metal detectors can be included in that), owning and exporting precious metals :confused0013: . My take on the situation is you will be at the mercy of your pal and his friends. If you are lucky enough to make a find you still have to get your ass, your beeper and your find outa the country unscaved :tisc-tisc: . I've traveled alot down in mexico and I've never had a problem but I have had several friends robbed for all their cash, cameras and other items of value :shrug: . If you go make sure you tell no one what you find( including your friend ) until your out of the country :shhhhh: . The Boot of cortez nugget was found by a mexican who's freinds had loose lips :smack: . The finder was thrown in jail and the nugget confiscated by now wealthy federalies :unsure: !! The finder never recieved any monies for his find just lots and lots of troubles :sadwalk: !! Happy Huntin John B.

PH Bob....in 1996 me and my lady friend entered Mexico at Nogales and drove to Mazatlan....a

long darn drive....find a motel before dark and don't drive at night there.....had a brand new

Dodge with a shell camper and had my detectors with me...also receipts for everything....before

entering Mexico I stopped in Nogales and purchase insurance for everything I had.....and phone

numbers of the American consulate in Mexico and the phone numbers of Mexican attorneys in

'

case of trouble....

Not one problem on the way down...stayed a week in the Mazatlan area trying to find a Mexican

treasure...found the cave but some one had already dug the "stuff" out....

On the way back....about half way....the same highway we went down on was a "impromptu"

Policia Federal road block.....twelve (12) Federal Police with machine guns.....a line of cars in

the front of me...when they saw my PU they hurried the cars through....put me over an inspection

pit and one of them went down a set of steps to inspect under my PU....I went down the steps with

him ....thinking how easy it would be for him to come back out with dope or contraband that he

had in his pockets....we also left two electronic games on the dash and they took them right away..

since we had receipts and Mexican insurance for the detectors and cameras they let us go...

If you decide to go check with one of the freight services (UPS) and see what the requirements are

for shipping something from Mexico to the USA....I'll bet the rules are different...

Example from Brazil to the USA by air freight a receipt proving the value and ownership is a

requirement....how do you prove that with gold nuggets?....

Potholes:

My adventures in Mexico during the 60s were basically okay. During the 70s I started getting hit up for the "mordito" by the Tijuana cops and the "aduanas" south of Nogales. Around 1980 I got shot at by Mexican cops, who have no sense of humor. They shoot real bullets at you just for escaping from a lousy traffic stop. Haven't been down there much since. My friend, Twentynine Prospector had some R-E-A-L hair curling confrontations with the Tijuana cops -- but not the kind he would be likely to mention on this forum. Over a campfire, though, I'm sure he would oblige. I understand that you will be visiting with Senor Bob in a few months. I may drop by if you let us know sufficiently in advance when you'll show.

Martin

Rural Mexico can be dangerous as hell, particularly if someone thinks you have anything of value. And understand that rural + remote = dope cultivation; you had better be with a local at the upper end of the food chain.

Some years ago (80's) I was hired by a group in Matamoros to evaluate several placer sites in Michoacan and Guerrero, and we had a most interesting tour. I was looking at old test pits in 6' high mj fields on terraces along the rivers; no obvious gold however.

Roadblocks are by the Federales, and los Verdes (green - Army) in remote areas; the Federales are quite aggressive as they are seeking their retirement funds, the Verdes merely doing their job - both are looking for drugs and guns. If the Verdes find you with archaeological items you are dead meat. The roadblock of large stones requires immediate action, this is a robbery and no one is there to help. They will even stop busses and rob all and rape the young girls.

If you do not speak Spanish you are like a small child, and some places are not for children.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I know this topic is a month old but I am new to the forum and just now reading the back posts.

I go along with BillA,s and the others advice, don't do it.

I have about 10 years experince in Baja gold prospecting and a couple of trips to the mainland.

By 1995 Baja lawlessness was so bad that we sold our Campo there and returned to the states.

If you feel you must go and see for your self send me a PM and we can set up a call to discuss it.

I have Mexican and American contacts ,but its still a bad ideal until the US takes over Mexico which

in my opinon is going to happen sooner rather than later.

Max in Yuma (Soon to be Morristown)

Guest Potholes Bob-NM
I know this topic is a month old but I am new to the forum and just now reading the back posts.

I go along with BillA,s and the others advice, don't do it.

I have about 10 years experince in Baja gold prospecting and a couple of trips to the mainland.

By 1995 Baja lawlessness was so bad that we sold our Campo there and returned to the states.

If you feel you must go and see for your self send me a PM and we can set up a call to discuss it.

I have Mexican and American contacts ,but its still a bad ideal until the US takes over Mexico which

in my opinon is going to happen sooner rather than later.

Max in Yuma (Soon to be Morristown)

Thanks Gilaoro, and all of the others for your advice. You all confirmed what I inwardly felt.

At least when I prospect in the S.W, there are no laws against my wearing my.357 or 9mm!

Cheers!

Bob

Back in the 50's I was working for the railroad and another guy I knew would make trips across hunting treasure and coin hunting and what he did was go to the chief of police to see what he needed.He got him a new gun are anything else he wanted and after that he could do no wrong.

Now I myself don't care just to go over there shopping anymore.I'll just stay in the good old USA where I do have rights.

Chuck Anders

• 11 years later...

Have you got your 50 caliber machine guns yet? You'll need them based on the opinions of some who posted here and you can be sure it's much worse now.

Things are much different now in Mexico than they were in 2008 when this thread was active. 

If you know the right people the place is yours. You will never be harassed or expected to pay mordida. 

But then if your detectors are already in Mexico you know this. 

It seems you want someone to tell you where to find gold on the other side of the border. The answer is complicated. My suggestion is that you ask that question to the fellow who is offering your security in the area.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Edgar said:

What part of México is this? I wanna go!! I have my metal detectors in Mexico that's not a problem gpx 5000 and a garret atx 

Edgar, this topic is almost 12 years old and the original poster is no longer a member here so you will not get an answer as to where in Mexico to go!

In the Navy, we had to take actual classes on how to conduct ourselves and behave in other countries. There are many situations  where the US Gov. Is not able to get U.S. citizens out of jail in other countries. I for one will NEVER go back to Mexico. Four close calls in one night for me and three other buddies was enough for me. No amount of nuggets will ever lure me there. That's just me. I have a story in my book about people casing you out to rob you that actually happened to me.