Nugget Shooter Forums

:laught16::laught16::laught16: Thats funny!

Personally I think the people who are really scared of snakes have never really handled nor spent the time to get to know anything about them. I've handled snakes for 2/3's of my life and the only time I have ever been bitten was around feeding time (because I was being stuped). I've had my Boa Constrictor (she's 10 feet long and weighs 50 pounds) for ten years now and I've never had any problems with her what-so-ever, even during the times she got out.

Del

I have owned a few ball pythons and corn snakes, and they were all excellent pets and very docile. You must have a massive cage for your boa constrictor. I always wanted one but never had the room.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yo All...Well, I guess I'll weigh in on this one too...This is the big AZ and rattlers are part of the deal...When you open the door to your home, you just don't step out without being aware...Five or

Posted Images

This is a news article from May 26 on Rattle snake bites. I myself just try and let them have thier own space

Http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4931459&page=1

Sorry didnt know how to insert link

Here's the link. There is a capital S in Story. If you highlight and then copy the URL things like that won't happen. It's an interesting story about how snake bites are getting deadlier.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=4931459&page=1

Yo All...Well, I guess I'll weigh in on this one too...This is the big AZ and rattlers are part of the deal...When you open the door to your home, you just don't step out without being aware...Five or six times in the past six years there's been a rattler outside the door taking advantage of water from the misters or the pet water dish...Dodacious has missed being hit three times on our back patio...There's been a couple in our dog's kennel...On my territory, they die, out of enlightened self interest on my part...But out in the desert I leave them be ...I consider seeing them good luck, sort of the same as seeing a horney toad, gila monster or hawk while I'm beeping...Last year, a nice young diamondback led me to the ol' "Joe No Shoulders" patch which added a half ounce or so to my poke...

When I was younger I killed things, including snakes, but as I've gotten older I just don't kill anymore, with the exception of snakes on my turf...I used to love hunting quail, rabbits and doves, as well as deer...Now I feel more of a connection with them in a way I didn't back in the day.... I do wear snake gaiters most of the time, in fact just got a new set...When I used to hunt LSD patches over and over, I'd sometimes see the same snakes in certain areas...One patch there I even dubbed the "Baby Snake" patch cause it seems to be a rattler nursery...I was once digging a target and had my non-digging hand down for balance ... After about a half minute something caught my eye and it was a 12" baby coontail coiled about 6" from my hand ... But it was just all hunkered down hoping it was invisible ... That seems to be the usual case that snakes just want to be left alone and will try to get away rather than confront something too big to eat...Guess I'll copy this response so I can paste it in next time the "Kill or don't kill snakes" thread comes up here...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Everybodies had a snake story or too, so here's mine. I was working 600 ft underground in grants NM as a surveyots helper in a urainium mine when my bossgrab my shoulder and stopped me from going any further. I thought there was danger from a rock slip or something but a very pissed off rattler was in the middle of the drift about 4 ft away. He had fallen down the shaft or rode down the bucket trying to cool off, I guess. Ray pinned him with something and we took him topside and let him go in some nearby rocks, cool I thought. Ray said the snakes family would be glad to see him. Really I said as I looked at him sideways. Ray pick up a rock and thew it about 20 ft into the rocks and about a doz buss tails responded, See he said, I told you so.

Later Wyndham

Hi All

Kuger touchee :hmmmmmm: !! When you call me a hippy ass I knew you thought I looked like Shep :sick0021: !!!! I don't I'm much prettier :innocent0002: !! Mike C and Earl you guys have my respect as well as my snakey friends :bowdown: :bowdown: !! I will pass the word to my boys to stay outa Uncle Rons ranch and to bite every hawiian they see :laught16::laught16: !! Lotsa luck the bag and possesion limits on reptiles were instituted in 76 or 77 I think I'll call game and fish and they'll send you a bill for back fines :POsmiley01: !! Speaking of Game and Fish I was recently there to get some free garbage bags for picking up mexican trash on our mining claims :idea: . They were outa garbage bags so they gave me a wad of body bags instead :yikes: !! So my toy hauler is stocked with body bags courtesy of game and fish. :smack: I'll save them for the dead mexican imigrants and gun toten idiots that shoot snakes and die of lead poisening from thier own guns rickachet that I find :shrug: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hi All

Kuger touchee :hmmmmmm: !! When you call me a hippy ass I knew you thought I looked like Shep :sick0021: !!!! I don't I'm much prettier :innocent0002: !! Mike C and Earl you guys have my respect as well as my snakey friends :bowdown: :bowdown: !! I will pass the word to my boys to stay outa Uncle Rons ranch and to bite every hawiian they see :laught16::laught16: !! Lotsa luck the bag and possesion limits on reptiles were instituted in 76 or 77 I think I'll call game and fish and they'll send you a bill for back fines :POsmiley01: !! Speaking of Game and Fish I was recently there to get some free garbage bags for picking up mexican trash on our mining claims :idea: . They were outa garbage bags so they gave me a wad of body bags instead :yikes: !! So my toy hauler is stocked with body bags courtesy of game and fish. :smack: I'll save them for the dead mexican imigrants and gun toten idiots that shoot snakes and die of lead poisening from thier own guns rickachet that I find :shrug: !! Happy Huntin John B.

:laught16:

I was amazed at so many responses. I guess the question still remains open as to kill or not to kill. The sad part I found in some of the responses was the name calling.

I don't know how BIG and Macho ya gotta be to go out where you know a rattlesnake could jump up and plant a big fat french kiss right on your ass with out any kind of protection at all, but ya ain't gonna be seeing this 150# old fart a runn'n round out there with flip flops and a pair of shorts. The old timers weren't wearing "cowboy" boots because they was a cowboy. They was wearing them for protection. Although, the shorts looked kind of silly. As far as "packing", I suppose if'n I was to encounter one of them 2 leg rattlers, my 357 would give to second thoughts to "biting" my ass. With all that said, I ain't no pussy. I ain't no whoose. And I ain't gonna git bit either way.

bill

"stuck in deming"

I think some of you need to come up here to Prescott College and learn how to survive in the wilderness. I used to laugh at the Prescott College kids hippy ass dreadlocks and liberal thinking. You can actually get a degree in environmental studies and/or rock climbing. I have never seen a Prescott College student wearing snake gators and packing a sidearm, however they may hide them in their dreadlocks and baggy pants that are about to fall off of their ass. Most wear sandals or hiking shoes and they don't bathe for weeks at a time. Some of their classes are spent out in the desert or woods for 6 weeks. But now these kids have my respect, cause they take the wild for what it is. They don't impose a martial law and scorched earth policy on the desert ecosystem, they just live among the creatures and fauna at peace. I am just an old cowboy that grew up on a ranch, but now I am just a little bit embarassed at the lack of testicles in this prospecting fellowship that I am now in. I am going to quit making fun of the Prescott College crowd now that I know they have more huevos than the average forum member here and give them their do. Hell, I bet some of them would even make a good trust worthy nugget hunting partner. If you see a guy with a cowboy hat and a kid with dreadlocks wearing sandals, holler' and say hi. It'l just be us turning over rocks and snakes looking for nuggets. :laught16:

HOWDY ALL I grew up in eastern Montana and rattlesnakes were plentyfull. Somebody imported Bull Snakes to cut down on the population of Rattelers,I dont know weather it worked or not. to this day I have not killed a Rattlesnake. I now live in Grizzly Bear country and to Me they are a greater threat than snakes. When ever I'm hiking in bear country i always wear a good pair of running shoes so i can out run my partner. Bears and snakes are alot alike as they dont like to be around people any more than people like to be around them. In the past six or seven yaers that Ive been prospecting inm Az. i'vely encountered three Mohave Greens and two of them were young uns. I let them be as they were no threat to Me.I don't hunt big game anymore but I still carry a 45 auto for personal protection from the ever increasing two legged snakes.

Harry

I have owned a few ball pythons and corn snakes, and they were all excellent pets and very docile. You must have a massive cage for your boa constrictor. I always wanted one but never had the room.

Hey Bob I've never owned any pythons or corn snakes though I do admire their beauty. My most favorite snake I've owned was a gorgeous little Mexican Milk Snake hatchling I had for a couple years. He was a little guy but he certainly didn't act like it. I always thought it was funny when I would throw some pinks in his cage for him to eat. He'd stalk, strike, and strangle like the pinks were large prey or something. Guess it's natural for snakes to act this way even after birth. :shrug: Now for my Boa, I keep her in a 100 gallon fish tank that she's now outgrown. Sooner or later I'll get her a nice big cage so she has more space to slither around.

For the people that fear for their lives around snakes, have a look at this website-

Snake Link

It states "Approximately 8,000 people a year receive venomous snakebites in the U.S., 9-15 victims die."

So lets put this in a percentage- (15/8000)*100= 0.19%... so this means less than 1% of venomous snake bite victims die every year in The United States... I think there's a higher probability you'll die in a car accident than from a snake biting you.

So now that the "deadly snake" myth has been dispelled with real factual numbers, whats the point of killing them if they really don't pose a threat to your life? I mean do you guys kill bears and mountain lions too? Because these animals pose a bigger threat to your life than a little rattle snake. Perhaps you guys are killing them because they are small and easy to kill? I really don't understand the reasoning behind all this.

I think it all boils down to common sense, if you screw with a snake, you'll get bitten. So maybe it's best to just leave them alone. Or lets put it this way from Bob's quote "Mess with the snake, you get the fangs".

Del (the snake sympathizer)

I now live in Grizzly Bear country and to Me they are a greater threat than snakes. When ever I'm hiking in bear country i always wear a good pair of running shoes so i can out run my partner.

:laught16: Hope your partner don't see this post or he may be investing in a new pair of shoes and running classes. :laught16:

I still carry a 45 auto for personal protection from the ever increasing two legged snakes.

Harry

Same here.

Hey Bob I've never owned any pythons or corn snakes though I do admire their beauty. My most favorite snake I've owned was a gorgeous little Mexican Milk Snake hatchling I had for a couple years. He was a little guy but he certainly didn't act like it. I always thought it was funny when I would throw some pinks in his cage for him to eat. He'd stalk, strike, and strangle like the pinks were large prey or something. Guess it's natural for snakes to act this way even after birth. :shrug: Now for my Boa, I keep her in a 100 gallon fish tank that she's now outgrown. Sooner or later I'll get her a nice big cage so she has more space to slither around.

Del (the snake sympathizer)

Sounds like a nice boa you have there. What are you feeding it, rabbits? I have some photos of my python and cornsnake somewhere on this computer, I will see if I can find them. I hope to get another ball python in the near future. I didn't mean to hijack this topic, but it seemed to be heading in the wrong direction anyway.

Well I will tell ya what, how about you people (JohnB Earl,etc)go hug your little snakes,and give up your guns and become the sacrificial little lambs that the rest of society is becoming.(you probably were going to vote for Hillary too)I will continue to pack my gun because I can,and kill snakes because I have reason to I wont consider this squashed,because I am positive you arent the type I want to call a freind.I cant beleive the &&^7it that has been posted in this thread,alot of ignorance.Thats good I guess that you all arent killing them then I dont have to worry about being responsible for exterminating a species.I hope one of you,or your pets gets bit a long long way from help.......maybe you can suck the venom out each other!!!!!! :laught16: CHEERS!

"I hope one of you,or your pets gets bit a long long way from help. Kruger"

Hey Kruger...You can kiss my ass...That is the stupidest post I think has ever happened on this or any forum...I, for one, think that little ditty deserves you getting banned from this forum...That's down right hateful and evil...Good bye, I hope...FU..Ron

Well I will tell ya what, how about you people (JohnB Earl,etc)go hug your little snakes,and give up your guns and become the sacrificial little lambs that the rest of society is becoming.(you probably were going to vote for Hillary too)I will continue to pack my gun because I can,and kill snakes because I have reason to I wont consider this squashed,because I am positive you arent the type I want to call a freind.I cant beleive the &&^7it that has been posted in this thread,alot of ignorance.Thats good I guess that you all arent killing them then I dont have to worry about being responsible for exterminating a species.I hope one of you,or your pets gets bit a long long way from help.......maybe you can suck the venom out each other!!!!!! :laught16: CHEERS!

Kuger

I just got a mental picture of you out in the desert wearing your toy store Sheriffs badge and sidearm ready to protect civilization from all the outlaw rattlesnakes. Blasting away at them well armed evil killers laying out their, Oops I mean hiding out there. Have a drink for me and give Miss Kitty a kiss when you get back to town. :laught16:

Earl is that you .Aint seen you around these parts in a while.

You have got to forgive the poor bastards they no not what they say.

Funny how if we were all out at an outing and met this would have never gone this far.

JB is a good man he can stir up the crap faster than anyone but if you new him you would understand .It is fun for him

As for Earl he is one of a kind .A no BS kind of guy.Hows those RR crossings?

One thing about prospectors .You can not be thinned skinned around here.

post-251-1216782825.gif

"I hope one of you,or your pets gets bit a long long way from help. Kruger"

Hey Kruger...You can kiss my ass...That is the stupidest post I think has ever happened on this or any forum...I, for one, think that little ditty deserves you getting banned from this forum...That's down right hateful and evil...Good bye, I hope...FU..Ron

Hey Ron,lighten up!!!My Grandfather nearly died (right in front of me)and I have had several pets including a 600 pound pig killed by a rattler.I guess it is alright for everybody to attack me but I cant back???Also what is so bad about being bit by a cuddly little snake??????That seems to be the point you all are trying to get across isnt it??And Ron you were the one I had the conversation with about "getters"(M-44's)soooooo no love lost Hombre!!!!!!!P.S.I am pretty sure these guys wouldnt have the balls they do sitting behind a screen if were at an outing!!!!!

Hi All

What a hoot :laught16: !! Uncle Ron take a chill pill :innocent0009: !! Billy Bob cowboy boots weren't made to save a cowboys ass from snake bites :confused0013: !! It was to keep their ankles free of cowpie the high heels were for the real big ones :idea: . Kuger you shouldn't refer to the american outdoor to the outback :POsmiley01: . The outback is a downunder term where the snakes don't rattle and the bites are considered deadly :smrt1: . I've been there and spent 3 months there wrangling snakes, nuggets and meteorites :whoopie: !! How about you :hmmmmmm: ??? Sorry to here about porky but maybe it's karma or something like that :innocent0009: ?? Del you have my respect :bowdown: . Before I got into nugget huntin my last hobby was snakes :unsure: , it's the reason I moved to Az. Tucson is the capital of snake variations in the US :woohoo: . There are 11 species of rattles snakes within a 50 mile radious because of the varied habitat :worm1: . Tigers, Mohaves, Blacktails, D backs, Az blacks, Sidewinders, Banded Rocks, Ridge Nosed, Twin Spots, Speckled, Massasaguas, not to mention Gila monsters and coral snakes :cool04: . I think if Kuger came down for a visit our snakes would have a smorgasbourg after he ran outa bullets :chowtime: !! Happy Huntin John B.

I have had several pets including a 600 pound pig killed by a rattler.

That musta been one hell of angry snake to kill several of your pets and your hog. Thats the kinda thing that scary movies are made of. Don't know if I ever heard of a serial killing rattlesnake before. :Huh_anim]:

P.S.I am pretty sure these guys wouldnt have the balls they do sitting behind a screen if were at an outing!!!!!

Geeze, You must be halucinating if you think I am going to exchange my balls, cause I am going to an outing. Been packing the same pair all my life and think I will take the same pair to my grave. Is that a California thing, where you exchange Balls? :laught16:

I will pass the word to my boys to stay outa Uncle Rons ranch and to bite every hawiian they see :laught16::laught16: Happy Huntin John B.

Aloha,

And i will help spread the word to my HAWAIIAN friends also to keep an eye out for them also. Not that we would go where we are not invited or welcome. And if one of "your boys" just happens to cross my path i will make sure to give them room to look for a nice warm rock to get warm on as we all know they are "cold blooded".

Aloha and be safe out there people,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi All

Stan , Kuger , Billy Bob and All as you can see there are several thoughts and beliefs on this subject :shrug: . I hope nobody takes any of this razzin to heart :angry-smiley-010: ?? There are too many other things in life to worry about then some simple internet insults or teasing :poke: ?? I mean hey there are ferocious snakes out there waiting to pounce on non suspecting prospectors :yikes: !! :laught16::laught16: Happy Huntin John B.