Nugget Shooter Forums

Rattlesnakes

Haven't seen much on the topic of rattlesnakes. Wondering if you come up on one and he's a telling you to stay back, do you blast him with a good'n or do you listen to his warning and go around? When I was a younger fellow up to my 40's, I suppose I would blast anything that moved just to be a blast'n. Now that I'm all grown up, I only carry in case I happen to come up on a "critter" that ain't gonna back down no matter what. Little snakes not included. If the "horrendous" boom and echo through out the hills don't scare him, then I'm gonna take careful aim for the next 25 or 40 shots. As an example, was looking over a little plot of land (40 acres) with my small dog Boudreaux. He was a "coon ass" dog from Baton Rouge. I spotted 3 coyotes stalking us and got all nervous cause Boudreaux was too close to them coyotes. All I had was a little single shot 410....in the Bronco. All was fine after I was a yelling at them coyotes to "go home". Now I carry anytime I'm in "critter" country. 357 mag. single action.

bill

"stuck in deming"

Some will say to kill them all, and some will say never kill one. I've hunted them for a living back in the late 70's so I know a lot about them. If I'm walking a new place that i don't hunt regularly and come across one I'll leave it alone unless the dog shows major interest. if it's on a claim that I and others walk often, I kill it as I don't need the surprise of eventually stepping on it and getting bit (or the dogs). Sure taking one snake off the claim doesn't mean there wont be another, but THAT snake is no longer a concern.

I've hunted them for a living back in the late 70's

Everyone alive in the world right now is making a living. A persons net revenue after appropriate taxes and expenses is a true measure of making it or not. Raising children and making payments on vehicles as well as a home is about middle baseline living. I can't imagin hunting & collecting rattlesnakes could serve a man any better than collecting cans and bottles. However it could serve well as a hobby and extra income.

I agree with Lotsa Luck.

Snakes have short memories,and I ain't going to depend

on them repaying any kindness. On a mining claim,the

snake you save,can ruin your whole day next time you

meet him.

I don't carry a gun on the claims,but a number two shovel,

or a well placed geo pick will take care of any critter. :Huh_anim]:

Never under estimate an old Okie with a good supply of throwing

rocks either. :laught16:

Everyone alive in the world right now is making a living. A persons net revenue after appropriate taxes and expenses is a true measure of making it or not. Raising children and making payments on vehicles as well as a home is about middle baseline living. I can't imagin hunting & collecting rattlesnakes could serve a man any better than collecting cans and bottles. However it could serve well as a hobby and extra income.

At the time it was the best money I had ever made. For 3 years we hunted the same 3 washes about 4 nights a week during the summer and would capture about 30 snakes a night. Average snake was about 30 inches and we got a dollar an inch from a furrier in IL. We would hook them and drop them onto dry ice, then skin them the next day leaving the head and tail on for a little more $'s. Most nights were $900.00 split between the two of us and we never ran out of snakes even though we hit the same washes each time. Natural snake fences (like sand washes) tend to concentrate the snakes as they move around. Two of those washes are still full of snakes, the other is now a housing tract.

In the late 70's $450.00 a day was darn good pay.

In the late 70's $450.00 a day was darn good pay
Hell that's good pay today.

No I don't kill them. I figure that I am in their yard so they live and I watch where I walk and when I see one

I run like a little girl screaming :laught16::laught16:

Rich

Well, from my recent run in, I was really taken back by it, but left it alone. I use the motto, If I'm not bother it, then it ain't bothering me...until it bites me. Here is a picture of what it looks like when one bite you. His name is Terry, a good friend that got bit by a rattler. Can't wait until the fall........ :tisc-tisc: Jason :;):

snakebite.jpg

I just leave em alone. I don't even carry any snakeshot in my pistol. I figure if it is far enough away for me to have time to pull out my weapon , aim, and fire .....then it is far enough away for me to back away carefully

PAPA :Huh_anim]: :Huh_anim]: :Huh_anim]:

Jayray,

Could you provide some history on this, how did he get bit so high-up on the body? Was he sitting down, was the snake perched on a higher rock/tree..... or was the snake of the "godzilla breed" that could stand on it's tail?

For some odd reason Clint Eastwood comes to mind here! If I was to encounter one in the field and I had a small advantage....."Do you feel lucky?", would Not be part of my venacular!

Gary

If it looks like they are intent on getting me then they are goners. I've only killed 3 in my 62 years and had maybe a dozen other encounters where they let me know where they were well in advance. The first one I killed just popped up in front of me deer hunting back in the 1970s, but I was moving real slow and easy. The next 2 were back in the late 1980s and both crawled into my camp at night at the same time from different directions and buzzed me. It was my camp and they acted pretty rude and didn't seem to want to leave so they had to be evicted.

post-3372-1216552960.gif

:twocents: I blast every darn one I find. Sick and tired of tooo many close calls. Just missed getting hit in the FACE twice in 2006 buy a couple a inches. In a canyon,miles from the truck,by myself.There are PLENTY to go around. John

I used to patrol a 5500 acre chunk of wilderness for the owners. One part of my job description was to kill every rattler I could, so the trails would be safer for the owners. They even gave be a buntline .22 with snake shot.

Another bit of info to pass here. I just recently found out about this. If you are taking your dog into rattler country you owe it this. There is a rattlesnake vaccine out there for your dog! It takes two shots one month apart and a booster every year. It does not entirely make the dog immune, but changes its chances from very poor to very good. Plus anti venom shots for you or your dog cost $1500+ each & your dog will need a few unless they have the vaccine. Plus it expands the window of survival for your dog tremendously.

Check with your Vet.........

From so many responses on this thread, I suppose I would be doing the right thing either way....to let live or to take the life of a innocent pre warning little creature look'n to feed his family of a loving "wife snake" and a passel of kids. Sheesh guys, just kidding. The last 4 rattlers I encountered were crawling around in a filled shaft sunning and making all kinds of warning sounds. Well, I let them be and went about my way. Now that I think of it, the area is frequented by families camping and exploring. A young child, not knowing, could be a disaster as could be in an area where prospectors roam with both ears covered. It's against my principles, but the next innocent rattler I encounter, the "bugger" has committed suicide to protect an unsuspecting child, adult or "beeping" prospector. Lord forgive me, but human life is more important than that mean old snake out to ruin someones day. 357 mag. right tween the eyes. :angry-smiley-010:

bill

"stuck in deming"

Main two reasons I kill all I find on the claims we are active on is my dogs, and partners have a lessor chance of bumping into one without seeing it first. My dog Stupid got bit 2 years ago on the claim. Lucky it was a mostly dry bite but he is now scared to heck of them or anything that looks like one. I keep him vaccinated for snake bite now but its still not safe. My new pup will get the shots as soon as she is old enough.

Several years ago while hiking one of the Phoenix parks (in the middle of town) We found a good sized rattler on the trail. My wife talked me out of killing it and we just stepped around and went on toward the car. About 30 minutes later a man came running by us with his young child in his arms who had just been bit by the snake I should have killed. In places with high public travel they have no use being around.

Interesting discussion, and excellent points on both sides. I am on the fence when it comes to killing or leaving the rattlesnakes. I have had some close calls myself, and my daughter nearly stepped on one when we were out in the middle of nowhere. It could have easily got her if it wanted too, but it was busy soaking up the sun. We have also come across some very aggressive rattlesnakes too, but I have yet to kill any myself.

I don't know where people get this idea that we (people) are intruding on the wild life. All living things are part of nature. Humans are natures latest and greatest and where is the boundaries to keep us separated? We were all put here with an instinct to survive and my instinct tells me that that snake will kill me if it gets a chance. So I'm striking first.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a hard ass. I am a hunter and when I kill a Deer Or Elk I say a little prayer for the animal instead of jumping up and down and high fiving everyone. I think that sucks.

I don't mean to offend anyone on this subject.

Jim

I don't know where people get this idea that we (people) are intruding on the wild life. All living things are part of nature. Humans are natures latest and greatest and where is the boundaries to keep us separated? We were all put here with an instinct to survive and my instinct tells me that that snake will kill me if it gets a chance. So I'm striking first.

Jim

That's an excellent point! :twocents:

Hi Guys it seems about this time every year we have a rattlesnake thread :tisc-tisc: I've lived in AZ all my life and have yet to encounter an aggressive snake :innocent0009: respect them and they will get out of your way--most bites occur when the person was messin around with it :Huh_anim]: I'm a strong believer in what goes around comes around- :WOW: -so next time you reach for that pistol-keep that in mind :hmmmmmm: -because what you fear most may be your downfall :twocents: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

I've had 2 encounters and didn't kill the snake. There is one in a place I need to go, and if we can't come to an agreement he is going to have to be removed one way or another. I really wouldn't fell bad about killing one. I hate them darn things. Think about it, does the snake feel sorry for biting you? NO. If you die, do you think the snake feels bad and tells his family he/she is sorry? NO. On that note I probably wouldn't kill one unless I had to.

Aloha all,

As most of you know, or not, I am a transplant from Hawaii. Land of NO snakes! Nuff said I guess! I have grown almost accustomed to them in the desert BUT that does not mean I wont shoot one if I come across one while metal detecting. My thoughts on this are if I dont shoot it and it bites someones then I would feel responsible. I would rather err on the side of good judgement than on the side of "live and let live."

Score so far: Ka'imi 8

snakes 0

And all this over a three year period. This year alone I have had to send three to the snake pit in the sky. Am i the only one that is seeing more snakes out this year or is it my imagination.

BTW, even after i shoot them i will not mess with them. Just grab my pick and dig a hole for them to rest foreever in. HMMM, should i leave them for the coyotes or hawks in the area?

Aloha and remember to be safe out there people.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Guest Gold Guru

Cougar Jim, you are right that between nature and us humans its OUR world, that is belonging to nature and man.

We are not intruding on their home, we have as much right to it as they do.

I've killed snakes when I felt it necessary, 99% of the time I just let them be.

No matter what your choice is kill them or not, its a small thing.

I couldn't care less if anyone kills or lets 'em live. Me personally I let 'em be. I like to keep my snake carma, cause I am out with 'em looking for nuggets quite a bit. To me it makes no sense to kill an animal, just because it has the ability to kill me. If this was the case I would have to kill every bear, lion, snake, moose and human that I saw, just to be safe. I also hate rats more than I do snakes. When snakes are around there are less rodents to chew up wires on my truck and trailer. So you can either live with more snakes or more rodents. Feeling responsible for someone elses run in with a snake that you let be, is like feeling responsible for someones run in with an aggressive dog, drug dealer, or AIDS infested queer that you new about and let live. It just doesn't make sense in todays world.

Earl

I know at least two guys that believed in Karma ,neither did

all that well with their snake friends.

One is my old ex BIL,who is an old brain dead hippie. He believed

strongly in the magic powers of pot,karma,and flower power.

He let a rattlesnake hang out around his yard for a couple years,

and there was love and peace plus copious amounts of karma,

mixed with some odd smelling smoke.

Well one morning said hippie went to the wood pile for some

wood. When he reached for the wood his friend gave him a big

juicy load of karma without any warning. The karma was still

dripping out of the puncture marks when old brain dead got to

the hospital. The hippie survived after a long stay in the hospital.

He paid for over 5 years for the treatments,ambulance,and life

flight. Has extensive nerve damage and still has complications.

His medical bills looked like the national debt.

The other guy didn't do so well. He was a gentle kind hearted

old feller . Owned a ranch ,never packed a gun and would give

you hell for even mentioning killing a snake.

He was fixing fence by himself. They found him a day later and

it was not a pretty sight. According to the investigators ,he had

left his staple bag behind him a ways. He went back for it,and

when he bent down to get it,karma ran out. A rattler struck him

on the face and hand . The old guy was hard of hearing and didn't

have a chance. He made it about a quarter mile,due to the venom,

age,and heat. From what the sheriff said,he died a horrible death.

Never met a bear,moose,or lion,that was packing venom,and can

hide in a rock pile or clump of grass. They don't shed and strike at

anything that moves either. Plus they leave tracks.

Owls,hawks,bobcats,coyotes,and foxes eat more rodents than snakes.

Roadrunners eat snakes and rodents. Snakes eat more baby rabbits,

quail,birds ,and eggs than they do mice. They don't eat that often either.

Also you can and should do something about drug dealers and mean

dogs. As for as the other infested feller,you know what he does just

don't be doing it with him. :laught16: :laught16:

If I ever encounter a bear hiding under a prickly pear,I will give him

a dose of shovel too. :innocent0009:

Owls,hawks,bobcats,coyotes,and foxes eat more rodents than snakes.

Roadrunners eat snakes and rodents. Snakes eat more baby rabbits,

quail,birds ,and eggs than they do mice.

Is this just your opinion or do you have some data or research to back up this statement.

Lesser and Odder things have killed or mamed dope smokin' hippies.

I just ain't scared of snakes and don't care to kill 'em thats all.

Oh by the way, my Karma helps me find a lot of gold and meteorites not just protection from all the other what have ya's. If you don't need any luck yourself how about givin' me some of your share.

I kill EVERY one I see,always have and always will.What would you do if you were miles away from help and you were bitten?The one you let go will be the one that bites ya the next time.I have killed 7 this year in my yard alone,one bit my daughters dog and cost me $1700.Friday I was walking behind a D7 bull dozer at work and kicked a little ridge of dirt that had build up behind a tree on the pass of the dozer,I missed the snake the first swipe(thank god....I wasnt looking down)but mid stride on the second I looked down and thought "oh,this is going to hurt!!!"There was a rattler coiled up waiting for me,I jumped back about ten feet and when I got a shovel he nailed it right of....I nailed him back.