Nugget Shooter Forums

Re-Beeping Pounded Ground

Yo All...Got three hours beeping this morning following a real gully washer that hit last night (Sunday)...The ground is wet down 14 - 15"...I scored this nice little 1.5 pennyweight beauty down about 15 inches on a spot I've already beeped alot...Using the 14" Nuggetfinder Round DD coil on my old SD2100...I don't know if it's the coil or the ground moisture, but a 1.5 DWT speci just doesn't seem normal at 15", especially with a decrepulated old Minelab like mine :confused0013: :icon_mrgreen: ...Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

post-9-1216078244_thumb.jpg

post-9-1216078292_thumb.jpg

post-9-1216078326_thumb.jpg

Hi Unc nice one :headphones: I think you might have found a good match for your beeper--some say that different coils work better on some beepers than others-acient chinese secret :innocent0009: -Mike C... :ph34r2: PS-I thought you were a big time prospector now and were'nt going to any more pounded patches :innocent0009:

Hi Mike...You might be right about the right coil match..But I still can't figure out what the XP switch on the coil is for...It seems to cut the sensitivity a lot!!..I'm not going to any more pounded patches...Unless I'm the only one pounding them :headphones: :laught16: ...Cheers, Unc

Hi Ron I've only had one XP coil and the whole purpose of its being was to change the target responce--I guess since our hearing is more apt to here the wee--ooo sound that we get on smaller targets--the switch gives you the option to change the woo--wee sound to wee--woo for the deeper bigger targets --now if I have'nt confused you yet--I sure as hell have confused myself :tisc-tisc: any way I think the xp coils were made for the gp series and not the sd--I could be wrong though--theres no need for them on the new gpx's as theres a internal control for that already--Let me know when you need some help moppin up those patches :innocent0009: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Uncle Ron,I never scored any gold after gully washers in pounded areas but some nice coins and tokens,especially out in the middle of a rain storm.Positive,negative ion thing???....this was with an old Compass94B...........Dave

Good morning Unc.......I've never owned a XP coil so can't give you a good answer about that...

maybe Bill could help there....several factors could have been in play causing you to find that

nugget at 15"....most of my hunting is with a NF 17" el. mono and most areas are "quiet" for a

mono but after a good soaking rain some of the areas are just to "noisy" for a mono so I go with

a DD...I believe the moisture aids the sensitivity of a detector...in some cases too much....also

when I'm cleaning up a patch I grid it in four different directions...much of the time I find gold

with each direction change...some nuggets are stubborn and don't just lay there face up...maybe

you were also going a bit slower or had the coil closer to the ground.....

Could be too that little nugget was just waiting for you to turn Pro before giving up.... :laught16:

Pretty gold anyway....

:twocents: Don just hit the nail on the head. My experience with the 2100 in wet ground is both good and bad depending on how much moisture and the mineralization, plus the coil. In extremely wet ground and a mono coil (14"CT), got lots of feed-back from black sand pockets. Wet ground and moderate mineralization with the mono was unbelievable, alot better penetration. Damp ground, had enhanced depth and sensitivity with both DD and Mono. It's like they say, sound travels better thru water than it does air.

Yo All...I guess the wet ground really does enhance the conductivity...Today I got out to a patch that has really hot basalt but normally doesn't sound off that much on a DD coil...Today, with saturated ground, it was really loud...Today, A larger target like an old pick tip or rusty bit of can sounded off loud, but I could see a very small nugget disappearing in the noise...Earl, some of those nuggets look similar because gold on the whole west side of this peak was just downright incestuous... :laught16::laught16: ... Cheers, Unc