Nugget Shooter Forums

Building a larger scale classifier system

Hi all. I'm putting together a mostly hand operated, pickup truck portable, multi-stage classification system in order to obtain small scale "production" volumes of minus eighth material. My goal is to be able to run roughly a ton or more of minus eighth pay dirt a day. Thus, I can't be spending great amounts of time shaking bucket classifiers. Nor does my back like me to do that either. I've located several manufacturers of industrial vibrators to attach to my final eighth inch screening mechanism, but they generally do not deal with individual orders as small as mine. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can obtain 12V (approx 3 Amp draw) dust-proof industrial vibrators at retail. I would mount them to the frame of the final 5 or 6 foot run of screen in order to maximize recovery and maintain flow at a shallow angle. If no 12V available, as a second choice I also could operate a comparable sized 120V AC vibrator directly from my Honda 2000i generator. I'm also looking for retail suppliers of stout gauge 8th inch smooth screen panels like that used in fireplace screens or patio furniture. I reside in the LA area, but the usual places (Loews, OSH, Home Depot, etc) do not carry these items. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to have it built and ready for this Autumn to try out in the So Cal deserts. If it works, I will share photos, plans, etc., and give a report. Thanks.

Hi all. I'm putting together a mostly hand operated, pickup truck portable, multi-stage classification system in order to obtain small scale "production" volumes of minus eighth material. My goal is to be able to run roughly a ton or more of minus eighth pay dirt a day. Thus, I can't be spending great amounts of time shaking bucket classifiers. Nor does my back like me to do that either. I've located several manufacturers of industrial vibrators to attach to my final eighth inch screening mechanism, but they generally do not deal with individual orders as small as mine. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can obtain 12V (approx 3 Amp draw) dust-proof industrial vibrators at retail. I would mount them to the frame of the final 5 or 6 foot run of screen in order to maximize recovery and maintain flow at a shallow angle. If no 12V available, as a second choice I also could operate a comparable sized 120V AC vibrator directly from my Honda 2000i generator. I'm also looking for retail suppliers of stout gauge 8th inch smooth screen panels like that used in fireplace screens or patio furniture. I reside in the LA area, but the usual places (Loews, OSH, Home Depot, etc) do not carry these items. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to have it built and ready for this Autumn to try out in the So Cal deserts. If it works, I will share photos, plans, etc., and give a report. Thanks.

Hey there Micro...

wyldkatt here...

well, sorry I can't help you with the vibratory stuff, but I have made my own classification units, and I use galvanized woven wirecloth...if finances aren't an issue, stainless is the way to go...(one time fabrication ya know)

here's a couple of suppliers over around your neck of the country...hope they help....good luck w/ your design...~wyld~

http://www.thomasnet.com/southern-californ...96122072-1.html

Hi Martin, check out Berg Hardware in Pasadena-

Berg Hardware Yellow Pages

They're pretty good, if they don't have what your looking for they can probably get it for you. This is the only place I've found that actually has knowledgeable sales people. For example a while back I was looking for grade 8 bolts and this was the only place I could find them. The local hardware stores (Osh, Home Depot, etc) didn't have a clue what a grade 8 bolt was.

For your vibrator, try Duvac Electronics located in Pasadena-

Duvac Electronics

Excellent place, I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years (including metal detector batteries). Let's put it this way... they're Radio Shack to the 100th power, a REAL electronics store. They should be able to help you out or send you in the right direction. I know JPL buys a lot of items from them too.

Another place you can try that has everything under the sun for projects such as yours is McMaster Carr-

Mcmaster Carr

Just do a keyword search for "vibrator"... you'll have a lot of choices. McMaster is a little pricey BUT they usually have what your looking for.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Del

Thanks Wyld & Del. One of the down sides to the big box evolution has been the loss both of knowledgeable retailers and product choices. But then the internet comes along and helps make up for it. My wife is anxious for us to head north as soon as my rebuilt dredge parts are delivered. So this classifier project will have to wait a couple of months. But I think I've come up with a way to give a "turbo charge" to one of small scale mining's drudgery tasks. Like I said, I plan to share photos and data once I get this rig going. Thanks again for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife works for a labarotory and they use shaker tables to mix chemicals. They are made to do what you are looking to do. They also have a shaker siv units for classifiying gypsum which do what you are looking to do. Might want to look into some lab equipment, (fisher scientific) and such. Finding old lab equipment on ebay might work out well too. Oh and labex.com is used equipment.

I've ordered one 12 volt DC unit and one single phase 110 volt AC unit from an outfit back east called POWTEK. Should have the units some time next week. Now I'm chasing down stainless screen or expanded metal suppliers. Also looking for a local supplier of controllers and thermal overload devices (to protect the vibrators from burn out). Thanks for the input. (PS -- Dredge trip on hold until August/September, so some time now available to work on project)

I've ordered one 12 volt DC unit and one single phase 110 volt AC unit from an outfit back east called POWTEK. Should have the units some time next week. Now I'm chasing down stainless screen or expanded metal suppliers. Also looking for a local supplier of controllers and thermal overload devices (to protect the vibrators from burn out). Thanks for the input. (PS -- Dredge trip on hold until August/September, so some time now available to work on project)

Hey there Micro Nugget.............not sure where you're located, but this place isn't very far from L.A.

If I knew whereabouts that you're at, I've got a couple more..................

http://www.globalwirecloth.net/ ~wyld~

Whoa, whoa. Wyld. Yes, that is kind of the idea. But, no doubt, the scene in the video would require a POO and a hefty bond. My small scale mining objective is to operate essentially only with small scale hand tools -- some battery operated (maybe all, if necessary), others powered by my small, portable generator. The idea is to create a system that one (or a small group) of almost over-the-hill prospectors can utilize to obtain tangible production runs. One advantage of being retired is that I no longer am limited to weekends or relatively brief stays. So the system is meant for up to 10-14 day stays at remote locations in order to get down to a pay layer and pretty much clean it out before backfilling and heading home (leaving nothing for !@#$ weekend scavengers and high graders). It must all fit in the bed of my pick-up. As for the larger scale classifier, here is where I am at with the project to date: I begin with an old Keene 151 dry washer. I just use the legs, grizzly and restraining bar. In place of the riffle tray, I attach my custom (not yet built) battery powered vibration unit which creates two (or optionally three) piles; plus 8 and minus 8 (and/or optionally minus 12) in very large quantities. The remainder of the project employs some new (I think) and some established techniques and portable infrastructure for drying, reducing and processing the pay on site (eliminating having to take dirt home). Your reference to the Global Wire Cloth Corp. down in Santa Fe Springs was very helpful. Keep the suggestions coming as this is an evolving project. I reside within easy driving range of Burbank, Glendale or Pasadena, CA (in case you know of suppliers in those areas). Now I'm looking for a supplier of C-channel (in order to efficiently transmit the vibration throughout the screen a stout run of C-channel needs to be spot welded to the wire or expanded metal and connected to the vibrator). Thanks again, Wyld, for your input.

Martin,

Where are you going dredging?

Steve: Don't know yet. Water getting low fast. Was thinking about the North Fork of the Salmon. But lots of forest fire smoke up by Happy Camp way, not to mention a bumper crop of elbow to elbow dredgers. Kinda waiting to see what things are like around mid-August through September (as soon as the daughter and grandson return back to Texas). How has your dredge season been? As you can see, I'm preparing for desert operations with some new innovations and approaches. When you get back from Brazil let me know if or when you would like to visit the Dale District and check out my (constantly evolving) system. Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

My season has been a bust...lotsa reasons....... I found this and was thinking about your concentrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIBRATION-MOTOR-Hi-Ban...1QQcmdZViewItem

• 2 years later...

There have been over 70,000 hits on this topic since I first posted it. I guess there is a great interest in this sort of project. Since that first post I sold my Keene 151 blower unit. Thus, the project has taken a new turn. I will update when I can.

:thumbsupanim Think used paint shakers as they provide righteous motion to concentrate them ores. EXTREMELY heavy construction,but easily mobile and you do realize no dredging in kalif anymore :rasberry: legally-John
  • 4 months later...

I did a search on Google for "12v Vibrator". Wow! That was interesting! First page up was from AdamandEve!:blink: Nuff said about those searches.

Anyways, after looking at all those pages :rolleyes: I did find dozens of suppliers. I do not know your design but maybe a truck vibrator would work??? I'd try some truck junk yards as the prices appear to be about $1k.

Jim

Thanks everybody for the helpful inputs and references. A friend of mine developed a stainless trommel that generates as much minus 8th as I can handle in mere seconds. I had him modify it, with his excellent welding skills, to my custom specifications. It works fantastically well on dry desert dirt. I will have it with me on a very damp claim at an upcoming WSPA outing for its first major wet dirt workout in conjunction with a recirculator I put together [the one I showed to you, Frank, in my backyard when you dropped by several months ago]. I should be able to post photos or a link to a YouTube video from that trip when I return from the WSPA outing in early August, of the customized trommel and my recirculator in action.

I now have a garage load of various parts and industrial vibrators which await assembly into a beefier mobile mill site apparatus, the details of which I am still working out. This is a slowly evolving project for which I am ill suited, having way more thumbs than fingers and insufficient time after I get home from my day job. But a dream not chased, even if it takes a long while, makes for a dull life.