Nugget Shooter Forums

Glorieta hunting "Caution"

I have given this a lot of thought, the last two weeks and I feel it needs to be said, Myself and a friend who needs not be mentioned just returned from a week long trip over to the Glorieta strewn field, it was my first trip there and was really excited to go and experience the hunt for the Glorieta Pallasite. I did recover about 100 grams total, about 50grams Siderite and 50grams Pallasite, It was an experience that wont be forgotten,

Upon arrival I was introduced to a property owner in the area, and he was receptive to our visit and gave us permission to hunt on "HIS" property only, He then began explain to us of an incident that happened a few months previous of something’s that happened. He then told us of a meeting that "ALL" of the property owners arraigned the meeting about meteorite hunting “Trespassers”. This is was not a good meeting he explained and there was a particular person that was at this meeting who was a Police Officer that is looking out for these “Trespasser” An I believe this guy is royally pissed, and is out for Meteorite hunters due to the incidents that happened a few moths ago.

While we were on our third day of hunting I did notice a Officer driving the roads, I was up in the oak trees and could not be seen “I had permission to be there” but needless to say they are on the look out, on our final day of detecting we asked permission to hunt his property once again and were given permission but we were asked to end our hunting that day, he was contacted by a neighbor who Saw a hunter and called him lets say rather “MAD” We did not hunt his property any longer. But I did notice along the road a vehicle parked and no drivers any were to be seen??????

SO to make it short and to the point if you are hunting out at Glorieta, and you do not have permission to be there “you are trespassing”, and if caught, I believe in my opinion just from the way it was explained to me you are going to pay dearly

I would suggest that you just don’t go; it is super hard hunting very dangerous, lots of critters, bears, snakes, and big cats. The property owners are not going to accept you there so you are taking big chances. You have been cautioned.

I felt this was only fair to give all of you that have been there or want to ever go there.

Please do not try to contact me for direction to this area for I will not divulge any specifics or answer any questions. I have given my word to my close friend and his friends not to repeat anything I have seen or shown.

Even I have great reluctance to return due to these problems, And the property owners there are not taking them lightly.

Just remember that no matter what you are your daily life, when you are Meteorite hunting, that is what you are, a meteorite hunter, it doesn’t matter what you do to be who you are or what you have made of your self, you are still just a Meteorite Hunter.

Travis

That's good that you would share that warning. Probably a timely warning for someone. And let's hope the right people are reading this.

I do however have to somewhat disagree with your last sentence the way it reads. None of the meteorite folks I know or communicate with including yourself are just meteorite hunters IMHO. They (including you) are everyday, hardworking, great folks in my opinion who are simply tremendously attracted to this interest. That makes meteorite hunters special in my mind. What you are indicating is that to an onlooker, or outsider if I may, we are just "meteorite hunters". I would agree with that.

Mike in CO

Well Travis, when I hunt, I'm a man-bear-pig.

Do the land owners even hunt for glorietas?

I understand if they do, because that would

mean they want to keep prices down by

keeping up demand and lowering the number

for sale, but they would be mongers

if they were so anal about hunters and they

didn't even search for those beauties. In that

case i would cheer for the hunter.

That would be like Navajo's letting meteorites

terrestrialize and restrict white hunters to

find them.

[Erik]

Guest bedrock bob

Wow! Bears, snakes and big cats huh? Sounds like it is much too dangerous to hunt! I believe I will stay away lest I get incarcerated or worse yet eaten by a tiger!

There are many problmes here, meteorite hunters are just the latest on the menu. This is not a strewn field, this is a neighborhood. Whether folks hunt for them on their own land or not is of no object. This is private land. People have the right to do whatever the heck they want to and keep whomever out that they want to. Some would lead you to believe that this is open range or some type of wild country. This is just a subdivision and folks do not appreciate someone walking up on their property hunting meteorites without asking. Permission is not hard to get. The point is that many do not bother and just duck in under cover and hunt. Also, this is not just one or two landowners. Again, this is a subdivision. Even if you get permission it would only be for 50-100 acres or so max. Most hunters walk across several peoples land just to get to the "spot".

The value of these meteorites are nothing compared to the value of the land and what people have invested. Lifestyle here is everything. I live here and see what happens every day. To a meteorite hunter these specimens are a big deal. To a property owner it is a few thousand dollars worth of rocks on a million dollar investment. The meteorites are worth much less than the firewood and building stone on any of these lots. Anything that would interrupt peoples privacy or bring strangers or outsiders snooping around is a liability. People do not pay these prices for land and live in "Glorieta" because they enjoy strangers poking around behind their homes.

Any time that you are on private property you need permission. Period. If you want to be a man bear pig you need to do it on BLM or National Forest land. We have man bear pig wood poachers, man bear pig house theives, man bear pig politicians, man bear pig law enforcement, man bear pig tourists, man bear pig newcomers and man bear pig local government. Meteorites are just not the issue here, no matter how cool some folks feel they are.

It is no different with a gold claim, a fishing pond, or a peach tree. If it is yours you do with it what you want and other people who want to enjoy it have to ask permission. Anyone can stand in judgement of your decisions if they want, they just cant stand on your property without permission.

Bedrock Bob

Hey there Guys I appreciate your posts. Let me tell you, I know that me posting this has already made my hunting partner upset and that is ok, I said I have gave this a lot of thought, I myself would like to know of a situation like this if I didn’t know about it, and I only thought it was the right thing to do. they say that something’s are better left un-said well I think this is a different situation.

Rockbiter said: Probably a timely warning for someone. And let's hope the right people are reading this.

I am sure that with the number of people that Have read this post that the issue was read but not understood. I hope the right people do read this. They need to read and understand when you are out there you represent the fine people that love this hobby. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.

Rockbiter said: do however have to somewhat disagree with your last sentence the way it reads. None of the meteorite folks I know or communicate with including yourself are just meteorite hunters IMHO. They (including you) are everyday, hardworking, great folks in my opinion who are simply tremendously attracted to this interest. That makes meteorite hunters special in my mind. What you are indicating is that to an onlooker, or outsider if I may, we are just "meteorite hunters". I would agree with that.

Let me see how do I clear up what I was trying to day here. I know we are not just meteorite hunters in our daily grind, what I was trying to say in a round about way without stepping on toes or saying to much, that when we separate the way we make a living and what we do for a living and set out in to the Meteorite fields we then become a Meteorite hunter and we have to be cautious of what we do and say that people might take in a negative way about meteorite hunters in general. You as an individual represent the way the outside world looks in at what we love to do as a hobby.

Basaltgooroo said: Do the land owners even hunt for glorietas? I understand if they do, because that would mean they want to keep prices down by keeping up demand and lowering the number for sale, but they would be mongers.

To be honest with you I do not have an answer to that question. I do know that where we stayed for the week that the gentleman that I spoke with briefly said he knew of Meteorite hunters that did frequent the area and did see some meteorites as well. But as far as the property owners I do not know. I can tell you this I do know of an incident that was brought up that I didn’t mention yesterday that a house was burglarized and many guns were stolen and the only people that were seen in the area were and are Meteorite hunters. they didn’t imply that they thought it was MHunter but still if no permission is given you are "TRESPASSING".

Basaltgooroo said: That would be like Navajo's letting meteorites terrestrialize and restrict white hunters to find them.

I know it makes me sick. But I don’t think the situation is going to get any better there in Glorieta, If anything it is going to get a lot worse. There are people that despite the warnings or the cautions will still go and push the limits.

I also wrote yesterday that I would not respond to PM's about the area or answer any questions, I could not believe that I had 6 yes 6 PM's asking about the area. That just goes to show that there are people that despite the warnings or the cautions will still go and push the limits.

You know that in gold prospecting when a guy shows you a nice nugget or two, you just should not ask where he found it, the same goes for MHunting, just don’t ask, unless the info is shared with you. If you don’t know where the strewn field is or the nugget patch is, go find it on your own or go find a new one. I was very fortunate to have my friend take me to New Mexico. And that is appreciated, and I gave him my word that it goes no further.

Show respect for others and just don’t ask "man it sure would be nice to know where the Strewn field is"

Travis

Ok, I never said they should let people hunt. I said Its gay that they don't.

Yeah they can do what ever they want because its their land, but i can still

think they're gay for thier actions.

And it wasn't that you shouldn't have brought this subject up. I'm glad someone did,

it was the smug tone of your copy. You may not have meant it to sound that way

but that's how i read it.

I wouldn't drive that far to hunt and probably never will, but i think thats really gay

that people close by can't.

The ristrictions at Goldbasin are gay, canyon diablo's restrictions are gay,

indian reservations restrictions are gay. and glorietas restrictions are gay.

We're just going to live with the restrictions, but we still have the right to say

THATS RETARTED!

[Erik]

Guest bedrock bob

The only reason that someone from the area could not get permission to hunt here would be the fact that so many people from far away have hunted without permission. We make our bed and then we have to lay down in it. This is a sad fact of life.

I am a prospector and a meteorite hunter. I have several gold claims as well as property very near the strewn field. Don't get me wrong here, I am not against meteorite hunting! This is about quality of life in an area that has undergone serious lifestyle changes in the past 15 years. This is my home and also my hobby.

No one here is mad about the meteorite hunters per say. Meteorite hunters represent just one more encroachment to our lifestyles. One more group of looky loos in an endless chain of people traveling through, scooping up a little piece of what they can take back for a souveneir and leaving us a turd and a scrap of paper under a tree to clean up. We have a saying here..."Bad tourist, no turquoise!".

If your home has been broken into twice last year and you wake up each morning to find another tree has been cut down, and you have seen three deer carcasses this year left by poachers on your property you naturally get a feeling of insecurity. Then you have these guys prowling through the bushes looking for rocks. They are not your neighbors and they have not asked your permission. You do what you feel you have to.

I know meteorite hunters are no threat, and so do most folks here. They see a cherished lifestyle of privacy and independance being whittled away. From the perspective of a meteorite hunter it is all about the pallasites. As a meteorite hunter we must empathize a little. There are a whole lot of people out there that have much more important things on their mind than meteorites. Check out the history of New Mexico and you will understand a lot better why folks behave the way that they do.

There should be no problem garnering permission to hunt in the area, provided you know where the area is and who to ask. Not everyone will let you hunt, but these folks are in just one area and this represents a small fraction of the strewn field (although the most popular). If you do research instead of relying on someone to divulge information there should be no obstacle to hunting "Glorieta".

Bedrock Bob

Guest bedrock bob
Just be glad that you are dealing with the landowners

around Glorieta. There is some places in Northern New

Mexico ,that you would be praying for the sheriff to come

and rescue you if caught trespassing. :laught16:

How true. The folks in "Glorieta" are the kinder and gentler type. Not the standard Norteno. Most are transplanted Californians. Most New Mexican natives were pushed out when Jane Fonda, Val Kilmer, Dick Cheney and Patrick Swayze moved in... Could not afford the property taxes on the ranches they have lived on for 300 years. One more reason for the grumpy attitude.

My father told me that in the old days men would have conversations at about 100 yards...the effective range of a 30-30 saddle gun. After the war he had to speak louder because the .30-06 would get out there to 300 yards with ease. With the advent of the 7mm Mag folks are better off just calling on the phone. darn good advice when roaming these hills.

They shoot people over a fishing hole here. Man-Bear-Pigs are delicious and are always in season. A little too pale and a little too Yankee and it is an excuse to try out those new bullets your wife bought you for Christmas. Go ahead and call the Sheriff, he will help dig the hole. He is your brother -in-law anyway and you helped him plant the last guy he plugged. Dont bullcrap yourself into thinking that there are any rules outside of the Albuquerque/Santa Fe bubble. There aint.

BB

So your tone of the the message was to warn meteorite hunters about

upset land owners and encourage them to hunt in a different part of

the strewn field?

that makes me feel better.

BTW most of the hunters I know end up walking out

with more trash than they brought in, so maybe

you should pay mind to those you invite.

And if you catch anyone littering or vandalizing

in ANY strewn field, private property or BLM,

then take em out.

Being paranoid (like my dad) just makes

you look stupid and doens't help anyone

so im glad you guys aren't at that point

yet.

[Erik]

Bedrock Bob

True True True. :laught16:

I lived at Tierra Amarillo during the land grant thing,

and worked all over Northern New Mexico. Never had

one problem,and never met a better bunch of people,

than the older land owners. But they will protect their

property rights,and privacy with a passion. :ROFL:

There is a few places the sheriff won't go either. :ph34r2:

Hi Travis and crew,

This is a very good post. I recently hunted Glorieta and talked to the same land owner. I have hunted this area with friends for the last couple of years. If we don't respect the land owners rights and get permission first, the area will be shut down to all the meteorite hunters. the land owners in Apache Canyon are on the lookout for trespassers. If you do hunt Glorieta, ask the land owner for permission to hunt. Many list members and myself have become good friends with the land owners. Lets keep this door open to all hunters.

Sonny

Thank you Sonny. man let me tell you the AX heads have came down on me hard for even bringing up Glorieta on a public forum.

To be honest with you, I took some time to think about what I wrote and how it was written to not divulge this that or the other, or to name anyone, or point fingers at anyone, these people know who they are and what was done,

Meteorite locations are just as private as gold locations. But the things that go on at these locations need to be acknowledged....... Respect is all I was trying to get across here. I asked no one to contact me because of promises and I said nothing nor will I EVER.

Travis

Guest bedrock bob
Thank you Sonny. man let me tell you the AX heads have came down on me hard for even bringing up Glorieta on a public forum.

To be honest with you, I took some time to think about what I wrote and how it was written to not divulge this that or the other, or to name anyone, or point fingers at anyone, these people know who they are and what was done,

Meteorite locations are just as private as gold locations. But the things that go on at these locations need to be acknowledged....... Respect is all I was trying to get across here. I asked no one to contact me because of promises and I said nothing nor will I EVER.

Travis

You have done a great favor to both the hunters and the landowners with your post. All a hunter needs to do is approach the problem with the proper mindset and doors will open wide. More meteorites will be found and fewer hunters will visit our local jailhouse (which by the way is famous for the thorough body cavity search using various kitchen tools and handy cleaning utensils).

People have been bold lately. They park right up next to the "no tresspassing" sign and brazenly stomp all over the place digging holes. Lots of unfilled holes all over the area. Not good P.R. for a group that generally minds their manners. This only makes the clock tick faster.

I too was a man-bear-pig in my younger days. When I worked a placer right up to the fence my body itched all over. It is the ethical battle we all face when searching and finding and wanting more. It is just gold fever though. Or "bolide flu" in this case. With age came perspective and the realization that it really does not make that much difference anyhoo. I still itch, but I don't cross that fence anymore. I get my share, and once I do I go on to greener placers. Once a fellow gets closer to cahsing in the chips the more he thinks about the result of his actions. It is funny that when I lost that attitude I gained permission. It put a whole lot more nuggets in my pocket and does not affect my meteorite hunting at all when things get touchy with property owners. Kind of like being immune to this piece of bad news.

...Oh, and by the way hunting on reservation land is possible using these same techniques. There is no trick to it, just good old fashioned politics. You just have to say the right things to the right people and keep your promises. Anything that has been said previously about kitchen utensils goes double on the reservation, so it gives you added incentive to keep those promises.

Bedrock Bob

I never said I would tresspass. lol.

I'm sorry to offend you. I was

only thrown off by the tone of an

article. Relax. no need to drag on.

sticks and stones

[Erik]

Hi all

Warning strong subject matter.

In the last two weeks I have had an incident that left me wondering if the hunt worth it. While hunting on BLM by GIS maps I was shot at 5 times. I was not armed and ducked as the rounds went over my head. I had not heard any vehicles or saw dust or any sign of anyone around. I bee-lined it back to my vehicle and first thought it was just the target shooting from someone in the area. Well!!! In the location I was in it had to be intentional as I was in an area that would not lend to this. Yes, I answered back with 2 rounds to let the individual know I was in the area. I then beat a trail out of the area and started looking for the shooter as I tracked back to the area. I could not find him. I returned two days later and found the quad track and tracked the perp to a location on a ridge where the event took place. Yes the person was shooting over my head and wanted me gone. Quite seriously I am very glad I did not run into the subject as I was ready to do battle and the cost would have been high.

One should not hunt alone. However its very hard to find a partner where I hunt. I guess it’s the chance you take. Will I go back? Yes!!! And the next time I will be hunting for him.

Wayne

Hi all

Warning strong subject matter.

In the last two weeks I have had an incident that left me wondering if the hunt worth it. While hunting on BLM by GIS maps I was shot at 5 times. I was not armed and ducked as the rounds went over my head. I had not heard any vehicles or saw dust or any sign of anyone around. I bee-lined it back to my vehicle and first thought it was just the target shooting from someone in the area. Well!!! In the location I was in it had to be intentional as I was in an area that would not lend to this. Yes, I answered back with 2 rounds to let the individual know I was in the area. I then beat a trail out of the area and started looking for the shooter as I tracked back to the area. I could not find him. I returned two days later and found the quad track and tracked the perp to a location on a ridge where the event took place. Yes the person was shooting over my head and wanted me gone. Quite seriously I am very glad I did not run into the subject as I was ready to do battle and the cost would have been high.

One should not hunt alone. However its very hard to find a partner where I hunt. I guess it’s the chance you take. Will I go back? Yes!!! And the next time I will be hunting for him.

Wayne

G'Day Wayne

Not good. Are there any open mines in the area? You might have been getting close to a meth lab.

Cheers

Johnno

Hello Johnno

Only open pit mines in the area. I did find dead animals. One dog wrapped in a very bloody blanket and buried. I thought the worst for a moment. And a boar hog buried feet up. Other bad smells in the area as well. It may be a Satanic site. Will investigate this when the weather cools a bit. The area is to valuable to give up as I found what appears to be a Spanish bottle in pieces. Also ancient ground for Meteoritic matieral. Will travel with a badge on the next trip.

Wayne :icon_mrgreen:

Wayne,

Glad to hear you made it back safe but a badge will only work sometimes. I prefer a good reliable sidearm and have always hunted with one ever since i moved to Nevada from Hawaii. Too many places in the desert were you are too far to call for help to arrive. I ran into a meth lab a couple of years ago while drywashing outside of barstow with a cousin and was glad he knew what that weird smell was before I even got a wiff of it. We took off like a scared rabbit after locking in some gps coords and then we emailed it to the local authorities. Never went back to that area and dont think I ever would.

Take care and be safe out there. No gold or meteorite is worth having to get shot at and even less if you have to shoot back.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hello Stan

Well as you know. I am not one to get to upset about the fields. I have been in several shoot-em up events with the drug guys and it only seems to get my blood boiling. This time like most I will stand my ground and fix it for the next guy. The last time was a 10 million $ bust in the Anza area in CA. We almost did not get out alive. Really bad!!! I think this is kids play compared to that one. Maybe one guy that has no idea who he is messing with. I think a local that just wanted to throw the fear of the almighty on me. Thank goodness I have law enforcement that knows me and wants to know whats going on. Want to join us :laught16::laught16: No you don't. :nutty: Will let you know the out come.

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: