Nugget Shooter Forums

What was hiding 'neath the caliche

Yo All...I put a dilute hydrochloric acid on the caliche covered back side of the nugget ...Man, the acid stripped all the caliche off in about 10 minutes...and here's what was hiding... :whoopie: ...Before, after and closeup pix...Cheers, Unc

post-9-1214519029_thumb.jpg

post-9-1214519050_thumb.jpg

post-9-1214519067_thumb.jpg

Hey Cuz,

Amazing! :smrt1:

Beautiful finds!

Thanks for sharing!

Jealous as Hell! :sadwalk:

Cuz Gary

I was goping to suggest Hydrochloric, but it can also be a gamble and do some damage to the specimen. Glad to see it came out OK.

If you have not done so already, I'd suggest soaking it in a solution of baking soda for an hour or two to nutralize any acid that got into the cracks of the specimen.

Chris

Yo Chris...I did soak it in baking soda solution for about half an hour...Seems to be ok now...Cheers, Unc

JP

The kids say you scream I scream we all scream for icecream.I'd take alot of that kind of Icecream.

Uncle Ron

As good as that looks thats got to be BlueBell Icecream and that one had to be a screamer.

One thing Uncle you have always got something good for show and tell.

Chuck

That is a great piece. I generally use muriatic acid the pool type which is 29% hydrochloric. Then to neutralize the acid I leave it in the arm and hammer solution at least overnight and usually 24 hours depending on the porosity of the host rock. VERY NICE! Bob